Thread: lost of appetite?

2oh1

Default lost of appetite?

i live in new jersey its winter time. I keep my frog in my room where hes always been at. my room is usually pretty warm except for maybe like 4-6 hours because the heater goes off around 3 am-7 sometimes a little later but the night heat lamp is always on. he use to eat all the time, if i wouldnt feed him for a week right when he would see the worm fuzzy or whatever is his meal at the time hed go straight for it but for the past month and maybe a week he hasnt eaten, hes still meaty and got weight on him so im not really worried about him starving but i just want to see if anyone can give me a reason to why the lost of apetite for so long ive been trying everyday throwing food in front of his face lost a hole carton of horned worms lost about 5 pinkies and now ive just been trying everyday with a night crawler since there the cheapest to lose any suggestions on how to gain his appetite again? thank you in advance because i already no from past experience the forum members here are the best at quick responses and helpful tips and information

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ribbits

Default Re: lost of appetite?

My frog had not eaten in 3 weeks or so. At the advice of the members here I started giving him nightly soaks (honey in some, pedialite in others) for 3 days or so. I also changed his substrate. On the 4th night he started eating again. In the mean time I force fed him one nightcrawler. If you decide to soak him, please look up threads on the soaks in regards to temperature and dilution. Also, research impaction and what signs to look for. Fuzzies can be hard to digest. Good luck

2oh1

he still poops he let out a load 4 days ago thats why im not to worried maybe hes trying to go into hibernation

Nationality
    [United States]

What are his temps, especially at night? The soaking won't hurt anything, but if you have a feeling that he's getting too cold that's probably the issue. If he's going with only a heat lamp at night in NJ it's probably getting too cold.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As DV has asked what are the temps? Large temp fluctuations are bad and can put the frog off eating. Day temo needs to be 80° to 83° and 75° to 79° at night, but hover around 78° at night. These temps need to maintained and fluctuations need to be kept very minimal. What are the humidity levels?

Thread Information