Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He made it...

spooky

Default He made it...

Sorry to start yet another thread, but I'm happy to report that Toad made it through his operation. He has 3 stitches which should dissolve, if not then have to go back in 2 weeks to have them removed.
    I now face the seemingly difficult task of administering antibiotics orally.... Any tips???? Vet has given me a syringe and a needle with the point cut off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: He made it...

Shouldn't be too hard on a big frog like that. Just hold him firm and try to ease the nib of the syringe between his jaws (try in the middle - it should be easier).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Pretends he's a baby and shove it down his throat!

At work, whenever I give oral meds to reptiles and amphibians, I just make sure to take my time and be gentle, so I won't hurt the mouth. I've seen some coworkers be way too hard, and it'll cause discoloration or like mouth rot.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thats great.

Kurt

I use the sharp end these dental floss thingies. They sort of look like a wrench with a piece of floss stretched between it at one end and a sharp, point at the other.

spooky

Thanks for the tips!! I managed to dose him this morning, and it wasn't too difficult! I feel sad for the poor thing though. Here's hoping he makes a swift recovery! Also, any idea how long it'll take him to start eating? His op was 24hrs ago and he's not eaten yet

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Can't say I blame him. How long is the course of antibiotics?

spooky

He's to have 0.01ml of baytril (?) once a day for 2 weeks. He's looking really sad at the moment, doesn't seem to wanna move. Still early days though I guess. Day before the op he was full of beans, the anaesthetic has taken a lot out of him.

wildfire

Glad toad made it. When my frog had surgery, my vet said 48hrs before he could eat.
    Kurt great idea on opening a frogs mouth. I am going to have to try that one.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

If he doesn't perk up in a couple of days, you may want to consider force-feeding him.

I hate the smell of Baytril. They use it to treat so many things in reptiles, amphibians, birds, and small furry creatures.

spooky

I think it smells quite nice
    Great news though!! I got woken up in the night by the crickets chirping, so went to move them into a cupboard somewhere. I also had a quick peek at the frog tanks and saw that both frogs were wide awake. I decided to try and feed the sick one, and offered him a (dusted) meal worm. He snatched it greedily out of my hand. I was sooooo happy! I gave another 2 and left it at that as I wasn't sure would be a safe amount after 2 weeks of not eating (I know with mammals you should start giving small amounts often rather than one big meal straight away). He had another one after I gave him his baytril this morning. I'm so unbelievably over the moon as I really thought I was going to lose him at one point.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thumbs up Re: He made it...

That's so excellent, well done.

spooky

Thank you! Was definatly worth the £74 vet bill! My other half doesn't think so... He said I should have just chucked Toad over the garden fence and got a new frog, as they only cost £33

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Oh no, He really does not get it. My partner is only just starting to get my froggy fetish now and it's been over five years of frogs (mind you, I think he might think that if it came down to the crunch... i might/would pick the frogs lol) so hopefully time will mend that for you too.

spooky

He really is clueless!! Haha. But then again, I don't get his love for Football

Kerry1968

I'm so pleased to hear your frog is through the operation and eating, it sounds like lil toad is going to be fine.

spooky

Cheers Kerry!!! Next step is moving him back into the big terrarium I can't wait!!

Tropicok

Well done! It is such a happy and divine feeling to bring one's critter back to good health.

spooky

It's a brilliant feeling!! I've never before had to deal with a sick amphibian, and wasn't feeling too confident. But I'm absolutely chuffed to bits. Ooh, and he ate a cricket today

Little things......... hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information