Thread: Clawed or Dwarf Frog?

JayFrog

Default Clawed or Dwarf Frog?

Hi, this may be a dumb question to ask but I'm having issues with classifying my two frogs. When I bought these little guys, the store labeled them as "Aquatic Dwarf Frogs". Before I bought them I did research, especially on their growth and it seemed okay to me and so I went for it. About two days ago I searched a couple of videos, I saw that the dwarf frogs in the video and my frogs had a different appearance. The difference I noticed was the fact that the dwarf had webbed hands, and my little frogs have non-webbed hands. Should I assume that I've bought clawed frogs instead of Aquatic Dwarf Frogs that was clearly labeled on the tank? Or is my frog a "dwarf" from the clawed frog?

Even if they were clawed frogs, I don't plan to give them away, even though I'll eventually have to buy a bigger tank. Believe it or not these frogs have brought joy to my family, and I enjoy every minute of their company.
    *Also I've had these guys for 6 months already.

~JayFrog
    Last edited by JayFrog; December 28th, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Additional Notes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

aydentheamphibian

Default Re: Clawed or Dwarf Frog?

Hello there! The confusion between Clawed and Dwarf frogs is actually quite common, and definitely isn't a stupid question. Obviously, like you said; Dwarf frogs would be the species with the webbed feet. But to just to make sure, I have a few more questions. Are their eyes flatter or somewhat more protruding? Clawed frogs will have the latter. How big are the frogs? Dwarf frogs won't grow much more than an inch and a half at the most, while Clawed frogs will grow to be at least a little larger (which like you stated, will require a bigger tank) and usually are a bit 'chubbier' in the waist area as well; of course, that isn't a perfect indicator either. Last thing - they aren't albino, are they? You probably would have stated that, but that would instantly make them Clawed frogs. In general though, it wouldn't be the first time pet stores have batched them together simply because of similar looks as youth. If you have any more questions, don't hesistate to ask (and if you have any, pictures would obviously make the process just a tiny bit easier; but no pressure).

JayFrog

Name:  20121116_155452.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  59.9 KBName:  20121229_195441.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  55.7 KB
    The bigger one (left) is Pimple and the smaller one (right) is Rash. I got the names from an old SuperNintendo game I used to play called BattleToads. Of course these aren't toads but based on the size, I thought it was an appropriate name The first image was probably the coolest picture I've ever taken considering these two are best pals.
    Well anyway to answer your questions @aydentheamphibian
    1) The biggest one can stretch up to 3 inches but generally still small. The smaller one can stretch up to 2.25 to 2.5 inches.
    2) I would say their eyes are protruding.
    3) The bigger one's waist is actually quite chubby.
    4) As seen the the images, they are not albino. But in the store at the time there was an albino in the tank. By the time I got my second frog, the albino was gone =T
    5) It isn't too clear but they have no webbed hands.

aydentheamphibian

Oh my, are they ever cute! Everything you have said leads me to believe that these guys really are of the Clawed variety. Of course, I'm not an expert by any means and don't have any kind of degree in herpetology - but even just comparing pictures of the these two next to the average image of an AFC on the internet is enough to deduce that they were probably the result of a mix up. Can I ask from which state you reside? I only ask as African Clawed Frogs have actually been banned in a few states (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia and Washington) and that might be a good thing to get out of the way. I would also consider, if convinced, maybe talking to whichever pet store you got them from and at least making sure that they know such has happened. Of course, it's all really up to you; feel free to try and retrieve other opinions on dear Pimple and Rash. Unless you need any more or have any more questions, I think that will be all! I do wish you good luck on your quest, however.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would say most defiantly that they are both African clawed frogs.

I use to have a pair back when I lived in South Carolina

If you live in one of those states, just keep them until they pass and do not let them escape into the wild.

JayFrog

@Aydentheamphibian - Thanks for your help! I needed the clarification just so that I can prepare later on. I currently live in New York and I do plan on telling the pet store where I bought these frogs from. It's unfair for someone to buy these frogs without knowing what they're actually buying and I plan to hopefully clear things up by tomorrow.
    @Louis Charles Bruckner - Thanks for the confirmation! I would never let them go, they've become to close to us to give them up!

Yes I actually do have further questions relating to their growth. Since they will grow to roughly the size of a "fist", is the tank requirement actually: 10 gallons per clawed frog?
    And as they grow, what other foods are good for them? Currently I feed them small sized frog food (pellets) and every now and then I will switch to black worms (they absolutely love it!).

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by JayFrog View Post
    @Aydentheamphibian - Thanks for your help! I needed the clarification just so that I can prepare later on. I currently live in New York and I do plan on telling the pet store where I bought these frogs from. It's unfair for someone to buy these frogs without knowing what they're actually buying and I plan to hopefully clear things up by tomorrow.
    @Louis Charles Bruckner - Thanks for the confirmation! I would never let them go, they've become to close to us to give them up!

Yes I actually do have further questions relating to their growth. Since they will grow to roughly the size of a "fist", is the tank requirement actually: 10 gallons per clawed frog?
    And as they grow, what other foods are good for them? Currently I feed them small sized frog food (pellets) and every now and then I will switch to black worms (they absolutely love it!).
    ACF do like black worms a lot but just be careful because live black worm cultures usually contain leeches (trust me, I know this first hand..). I personally alternate between reptomin and earthworms for my frogs. They appear to have a particular affinity for nightcrawlers but ACF aren't exactly picky eaters.

aydentheamphibian

Quote Originally Posted by JayFrog View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. The tank requirement really is 10 gallons for each frog, though it does depend on the tank. If you can get a longer tank rather than a normal or taller tank, you may be able to squeeze a few inches off - being that 3 can live happily in 20 gallon long tank. It might not seem so understandable right now, but it'll become more obvious as they get older. As for their diet, there are definitely a few options. You can use crickets, live guppies if convenient, blood worms, nightcrawlers or brine shrimp. There are more alternatives too, and I believe pellets would still suffice - but you would have to look into that. Like said above, they aren't going to turn down much. Though avoid freeze dried food, fish flakes, goldfish/minnows and unless they are your only option - it would probably be wise to stay clear of the beef hearts. They aren't super dangerous or anything, but can cause heart failure if made a staple. I'm very happy you figured this out now though, and not later. I'd love to hear more, so don't hesistate to check in now and then!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The key difference between the African clawed frog (genus Xenopus) and the dwarf (genus Hymenochirus) is that ACFs do not have webbing on the fingers, while the dwarfs do. Also, the eyes are pointed upward for ACFs and dwarfs are more forward looking. As confirmed, you do have ACFs.

Ideally, you should have 10 gallons per frog, however they can survive easily in 5 gallons per frog. Like all aquatic animals, you need to maintain a high level of water quality - good filtration, frequent water changes and make sure the water is conditioned. I personally use Stress-Coat and have had very healthy frogs. These frogs are long lived, I have two pair that are 15+ years old! The temperature should be about 70-72 (F). I keep mine at room temperature. I feed my frogs exclusively Repto-Min. However, a variety of worms and insects are also great food items. Females are larger and more plumper (pear-shaped bodies) while males are more streamlined and smaller. It appears to me that your frogs are females. Males will have blackened fingers, like gloves. These are called nuptial pads to help the male hold on during mating. Females will also have a swollen vent.

These frogs are extremely healthy when kept properly. The biggest peoblem that most people have is a condition called bloating. It is caused mainly by improper husbandry. With frogs it is much easier to prevent illness than to treat it. The frogs are extremely slimy and hard to handle. I use a large plastic cup and a fish net. I catch the frog in the cup and cover it with the net. I never touch the frog and the cup will protect the frog from injury and escaping. The slimy skin has a chemical called maganins, which have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Good luck with your frogs and they sure look cute
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Sundrip

I have adult African Clawed Frogs (legal in my state) and have enjoyed them clemently. I currently have 4 in two different tanks. When I first saw your photos I without a doubt knew you had two ACF's. They'll live about 15+ years in captivity and will be a total joy to watch grow up.
    Read up on them but mostly have fun cause these frogs are easy. They're easy and, like you said, bring joy. I've said that about my frogs and fish for a long time, but especially the frogs, they bring me joy. Congrats on your ACF's you've got a wonderful species in your home.
    Get yourself a 20 gallon long and let them live their lives in that. You won't regret it.

JayFrog

Wow! An immense amount of information, I can't thank you all enough and I really do hope they live for a long time, they are great companions. Now that I'm here I might as well ask the remaining questions I have:

1) I'm currently using this filter with the 2.5 gallon tank: Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies
    The main reason I chose it was because one it was rated pretty good and two it was quiet filter, I know these frogs become stressed with the slightest vibration. Three, the area where the water sucks in has very little pressure so the frogs are completely safe if they get close so overall it's a very good filter. However, it's a little hard to clean since it's "mini" and I don't have a brush that can fit inside. It's also hard to obtain filters when I need them since they are delivered. I plan on upgrading to a 10 gallon tank in a month or so, are there any recommended quiet filters?

2) I'm using sand aggregate for the bottom only because it's harmless but it's quite hard to re-setup the tank after a good cleaning. I know I can't use small rocks since they can choke on it. Are there any other recommended bottoms aside from sand, or should I just keep the sand, I don't mind the extra work.

3) I use this product for the water conditioning: Name:  tetra.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  33.7 KBShould I use a different one or will this work fine?

4) What's the recommended feeding schedule? I always read people do every day, others say every two days, and other says 2-3 times a week.

Final Question I promise:
    5) I need some what of an instruction on water changing. Currently, I do 50-60% water removal every 2-3 weeks, put new water in a bucket I have, measure the temperature and use the conditioner mentioned on the third question and wait around 40-50 minutes before putting it in the tank. Any recommended methods?

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Clawed or Dwarf Frog?

You have made some really good choices!

The filter is a really good one especially for sand substrate.
    I like the design that the pump is after the filter media so if by chance any sand is sucked up
    into the filter it won't bugger the motor or impeller.
    Also the adjustable flow. you want to provide enough flow for proper filtration
    but at the same time you don't want to cause a hazard for your inhabitants of your tank either
    by the intake or turbulent water conditions that the poor things won't be able to rest in one spot.

I have book marked that model for future use. thanks!

I would keep the sand for a while until you move to a larger tank. ( when they out grow the smaller tank)
    While they are small sand will be ok since if they swallow some that can pass it.

Then I would get large gravel for substrate. with a submergible feeding plate like a small terra-cotta dish.
    just place their food on the dish.
    if you just put it in the tank it might fall in between the gravel and be kinda hard to clean up.

water changes are huge topic of debate among aquarist. it all depends on a lot of factors.
    #1 the current water quality of the tank.
    #2 the size of the tank
    #3 how many inhabitants of the tank and what type (some make more waists than others like ACF'S do.)
    #4 does the tank have any live plants. ( I would get some if the tank was larger. that is just me . I always keep live plants.)

I would get a good quality water test kit. like this one,
    Name:  pPETS-3757070_alternate1_t96.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  2.5 KBName:  pPETS-3757070dt.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  80.1 KB
    I would also get a air pump and airstone to keep up the oxygen level in the water.
    I know they aren't fish but they do absorb a lot of oxygen via their skin so they don't have to surface so often.
    and when they sleep.

Follow the instructions I left on a fish forum on how to set up a air pump and air stone properly.
    http://www.aquariumforum.com/134708-post4.html

I would only do 25% water change once a week unless you have water quality problems.
    Changing water too much or too often can stress the frogs.

Feeding is also hugely debated issue.
    I have fed mine frozen blood worms , guppies (ones I bred my self.) and as a once and while treat.
    cut earth worms from a source I trust.
    reptomin pellets as a staple.
    I fed them every other day when they got to adult size
    and when they were small (about the size of a quarter) I fed them daily staple and every other day a few guppie fry
    I kept them for 4 years in my office at USC-Aiken so they would go the weekend with out food with no problems.
    So did my fish.

Hope this helps

Thread Information