Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hissing Roaches for a treat?

Default Hissing Roaches for a treat?

Has anyone used Hissing roaches for a snack? The guys at LLL suggested it to me since I'm trying to vary our little guy's/girl's diet. I just tried some nightcrawlers cut into smaller pieces, and s/he didn't take to them too well. s/he kept trying to get them, but they seemed not to stick to his/hers tongue. Anyone had similar situations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Hissing Roaches for a treat?

they usually always have a tough time with worms bc they are so slimmy and wont stick to their tounges....but hissers should be fine...i feed mine dubia roaches which are bout the same size, just a tad smaller

I got him/her to take a few pieces (of the night crawler) in the water dish. Thanks for the reply, I've just never read so far people trying Hissers. I will give it a try later, unless anyone else advises me not too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
    they usually always have a tough time with worms bc they are so slimmy and wont stick to their tounges
    Where did you get this info from? ive always fed worms and not once have my frogs had a problem eating them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Imo hissers make a great staple. the only down side is that they have a very tough shell.

thanks poison for your reply as well. Could their shells cause impaction? In Habeeb's defense, it seemed that my pixie could not get any traction as well on the night crawlers. S/he was trying numerous times to get them, with very little success.

Nationality
    [United States]

Many Pyxi Frogs have trouble with worms, but a lot of the time it's due to the start of Short Tongue Syndrome which is caused by a calcium and Vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin a is used by frogs to produce mucus that they coat themselves with and the very sticky mucus on their tongues. Lacking in calcium can not only cause MBD, but can also cause the frog to not be able to flip their tongue out. So with both lacking the frog can have alot of trouble feeding.

We have been dusting every second/third feeding or so with a multi-vitamin supplement. This should not be the case.

What is your opinion on hissing roaches Grif?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Many Pyxi Frogs have trouble with worms, but a lot of the time it's due to the start of Short Tongue Syndrome which is caused by a calcium and Vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin a is used by frogs to produce mucus that they coat themselves with and the very sticky mucus on their tongues. Lacking in calcium can not only cause MBD, but can also cause the frog to not be able to flip their tongue out. So with both lacking the frog can have alot of trouble feeding.
    Is "Short Tongue Syndrome" genetic as well?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Is "Short Tongue Syndrome" genetic as well?
    I'm sure there are some that are genetically pre-disposed to getting Short Tongue Syndrome more easily just like MBD and Scoliosis, but I'm no expert on such subjects. Aside from Scoliosis which can be genetic indefinitely MBD and STS can be prevented with regular supplementation.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by b24082 View Post
    What is your opinion on hissing roaches Grif?
    They should be fine. Just offer the smaller nymphs rather than adults. The Nymphs won't have as well developed chitin as the large adults. As far as I know Hissing Cockroaches get huge.

Ok thank you for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Where did you get this info from? ive always fed worms and not once have my frogs had a problem eating them.
    i get this info from self experience...pyxies have trouble sometimes when eating earthworms bc they try to lick them and they are slimmy

I did also wash the dirt off of them from the container they come in. I don't know if that contributed to them being slippery. I had trouble even handling them with the tongs. Also the guy's at LLLreptile are telling us night crawlers (we bought these at Walmart) "are full of parasites" Has anyone else heard this? I've read about people on this forum using night crawlers, bought from walmart, without any problems.

I did also wash the dirt off of them from the container they come in. I don't know if that contributed to them being slippery. I had trouble even handling them with the tongs. Also the guy's at LLLreptile are telling us night crawlers (we bought these at Walmart) "are full of parasites" Has anyone else heard this? I've read about people on this forum using night crawlers, bought from walmart, without any problems.

im not sure about this 100% but ive only fed wal mart bought canadian night crawlers...and my frogs seem to do well on them...they wont touch worms no more but i have a huge dubia colony i use to feed them with...i know a few guys on here also get thier crawlers from wal mart and do fine with them

Ok thanks, We are looking into starting a dubia colony as well. They wanted 16 dollars for 10 hissing cockroaches, so we passed on that and just picked up some crickets. I will just try to offer the night crawlers sparingly, I guess. Do you know of a good place to get Dubias? Or even willing to sell a small amount to get started?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
    i get this info from self experience...pyxies have trouble sometimes when eating earthworms bc they try to lick them and they are slimmy
    Personal experience is the best experience ive just never had this problem.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok thanks, We are looking into starting a dubia colony as well. They wanted 16 dollars for 10 hissing cockroaches, so we passed on that and just picked up some crickets. I will just try to offer the night crawlers sparingly, I guess. Do you know of a good place to get Dubias? Or even willing to sell a small amount to get started?
    this place usually has great deals ( Dubi Deli | Dubia Roaches ) but it looks like there out of stock for now just keep checking back. heres another one The Roach Barn - Home

the place i got all mine from was Store but i waited till they had a special on the females...their special on females was 50cents for one...i started with 200 and now have like 2thousand mostly still small and bout half a inch big...the thing is to not feed out of ur colonly untill u have up to the thousands bc ur frog will eat a good amount of them at one sitting lol i have a 5 month old male and a 8 month old female to feed so they take in quite a bit of food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information