Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

frankypooh

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

Oops, sorry Brian! I guess I had forgotten someone had already answered that question last week!

And for feeding, every second day? 3 to 4 crickets each? Or will all that depends on the little guys? I also noticed the crickets I have are getting quite big and some have long pointy thingy coming from their butt... Should I be feeding them to the frogs??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

That would work, although I like to put food in there every night, just so it's there, in case a frog misses a feeding. Red eyes are not prone to overeating so no worries there. The crickets should not be longer than the width of the frogs' heads. Anything bigger than that is risky and they might not be interested.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

I feed daily also, though its okay if they do not eat every day. I use feeding bowls as well.

That long pointy thing is what the female crickets use to deposit their eggs into the soil (babies). They may be too big for them. Better to feed a bit smaller ones. You could, however, put a small bowl of moist substrate into your cricket tank and see if they'll lay deposit eggs for you?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I feed daily also, though its okay if they do not eat every day. I use feeding bowls as well.

That long pointy thing is what the female crickets use to deposit their eggs into the soil (babies). They may be too big for them. Better to feed a bit smaller ones. You could, however, put a small bowl of moist substrate into your cricket tank and see if they'll lay deposit eggs for you?

Thats fine, I gave my crickets to my sister who has a lizard. I got new ones that are smaller lol

my tank is 12"x12"x18", and I was going to do the whole day/night light cycle. What size watts should I be using for the bulbs and what kind, uv, glow, sun,???
    and should I put a heating pad under the tank??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Before you worry about lights and heat, you should have a reliable thermometer and hygrometer to monitor temperature and humidity at all times. Red eyes like daytime temps in the mid to upper 70s (F)and nighttime drops of 5 degrees or so. Nothing higher than 82 or lower than 68. Relative humidity should be kept between 65-80%.

Once you establish what your conditions are, you can work on modifiying them, if necessary. For example, if your temperatures are already warm enough, I would use the coolest lighting source I can find, and probably place it some distance from the tank. I don't use UV with my red eyes. Generally, the lighting is catered to the live plants. A compact fluorescent bulb in daylight color (appx 5000K) should be adequate. LED lighting is also something you should look into. They're more heat and energy efficient, but at the moment, more expensive. Speak with Todd Goode of LightYourReptiles.com for more info (207) 846-5224.

frankypooh

For the heating pad, Do I stick on the bottom or just place it under it?? Or should I be doing the heat with the lights?? And for lights, hood or clamp lamps??? My tanks seems to stay around the 70 when the house is on its coolest... My humidity is between the 70 and 80%. I don't have any live plants at the moment so which lights should I be using??

and also, is there a way of knowing if both frogs are eating??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information