Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

I am surprised that no one has recommended a soak in warm diluted solution of peidolite since it hasn't been eating or is this not recommended when a animal has an infection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    I am surprised that no one has recommended a soak in warm diluted solution of peidolite since it hasn't been eating or is this not recommended when a animal has an infection.
    I called my vet and he said yes for the pedialite soak. I will be doing that tonight!!

4. This member thanks frankypooh for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

( I guess I didn't refresh my broswer properly LOL)

This is a question that is related to the subject but directed to the more experienced members.
    I am kind of curious why a diluted warm honey soak hasn't been suggested yet since it hasn't had any thing to eat in a while.
    I know it is mainly to treat dehydration but at this point in time I would think the anti fungal and anti bacterial properties of honey would be beneficial for the infection on its nose and eye and the extra carbs would boost the energy level of the sick frog and maybe help it regain an appetite and energy to hunt.
    I am by no means a frog expert but I am learning a lot from the forum.

I posted a similar question earlier but I don't know if it got removed or I forgot to hit the post button.
    Last edited by Louis Charles Bruckner; December 29th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

Yes, the pedialyte soak is good. 1 part clear, unflavored pedialyte to 10 parts luke warm dechlorinated or spring water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Yes, the pedialyte soak is good. 1 part clear, unflavored pedialyte to 10 parts luke warm dechlorinated or spring water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
    Is it normal if she didn't like it?? I put her in, she stayed in for maybe 8 min, and then wanted out. After, I changed her water back to her regular water and she went back in, and stayed there all night?? Is that normal???

frankypooh

Ever since I gave her the soak bath, she's been dark green and staying in her regular water bowl.....

Should I be more worried,, or should it be expected??

deeishealthy

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to just chime in and say you are doing the right thing by asking and you take the coaching very well. Good job. Keep going.

If you are not getting replies, take your question to Google and see what kind of answers you get. It never hurts to get multiple opinions (this is in no way me discrediting the advice given. at all) just make sure the sources are trustworthy out there. There is a reason so many people land here in their researching travels. It's solid. But it is a little slow in here though if you are looking for immediate answers (ha! you have LIVES!! lol). I'm an IGG (Instant Gratification Girl) so I get it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Franky. Sorry I missed your update. How are his eyes and wounds looking? With the delay in being able to receive vet care and the frog still not eating, I would continue the soaks daily. Even 8 minutes can help hydrate and replace electrolytes. Purchase some Original Neosporin. Not the type with pain reliever - is it toxic to frogs. It will say original on the box/tube. Use a sterile Qtip and apply a very thin layer of neosporin to the nose, taking care to not get into his nostrils. The neosporin will not hurt his nostrils, but you don't want to plug them. Apply it to all discolored skin areas daily with a new Qtip each day. It will apply best before spraying the tank. Using a twisting motion with the qtip allows it to apply easier. Do not apply it the night before his vet appointment to allow the vet a better assessment. If your vet does not know how to treat it tell him your friends recommend diluted silver sulfadiazene (SSD) cream. I do not know the dilution ration or dose. My vet premixes it for me. He had me apply it daily. My vet is Dr. Frye. Your vet could call Dr. Frye if he/she has any questions.

Have you seen you frog shedding at all? Any poop?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

frankypooh

Hi Franky. Sorry I missed your update. How are his eyes and wounds looking? With the delay in being able to receive vet care and the frog still not eating, I would continue the soaks daily. Even 8 minutes can help hydrate and replace electrolytes. Purchase some Original Neosporin. Not the type with pain reliever - is it toxic to frogs. It will say original on the box/tube. Use a sterile Qtip and apply a very thin layer of neosporin to the nose, taking care to not get into his nostrils. The neosporin will not hurt his nostrils, but you don't want to plug them. Apply it to all discolored skin areas daily with a new Qtip each day. It will apply best before spraying the tank. Using a twisting motion with the qtip allows it to apply easier. Do not apply it the night before his vet appointment to allow the vet a better assessment. If your vet does not know how to treat it tell him your friends recommend diluted silver sulfadiazene (SSD) cream. I do not know the dilution ration or dose. My vet premixes it for me. He had me apply it daily. My vet is Dr. Frye. Your vet could call Dr. Frye if he/she has any questions.

Have you seen you frog shedding at all? Any poop?
    No poop at all, and the crickets I put in the feeding bowl are all there in the morning. I noticed she shed the other night when I gave her the soak bath. I did another one last night, but I did it differently, without touching her. She was already in her water bowl, so I emptied it with a seringue (without the needle) and I had already prepared the pedialite and water, so I just slowly poured it in her water bowl. I think the first night, me handling her and being out of the enclosure was maybe stressing her out. So last night it went a lot better.

her eyes are the same. They haven't gotten worst or better, which I'm taking as a good sign. Hey nose is getting better. I had put polysporin at the beginning (pharmacist said it was the same.. No neosporin available here...) and it got a lot smaller than it was!!!

My biggest problem right now is that for the past couple of days, it's really dry in my parents place, so the humidity keeps going down in her enclosure, so I've been misting a couple times a day to try to keep it up... So far so good!!

thanks everyone who have been following me through this and helping me !!!

Nationality
    [United States]

You're doing a great job. Perfect way to soak him/her. Can you get reptaboost where you are? It's a supplement for amphibians and reptiles who are not eating.

frankypooh

You're doing a great job. Perfect way to soak him/her. Can you get reptaboost where you are? It's a supplement for amphibians and reptiles who are not eating.
    I saw my vet yesterday, and i am sad to announce that my frog isnt doing any better. The vet told me she has a systematic fungal infection, which she had before i even picked her up, and her nose rub didnt help the whole thing. She has lost alot of weight and he said making test to get the right diagnostic would stress her too much and since she is in such a fragile state, it would kill her. He recommend I go see the pet store I bought her from.

I went to see them and they told me to bring her back, that the breeder is happy to take her back and try to nurse her back and they will give me a new frog. (Im not sure she has much longer) I have tried giving her some repto boost last night, but she was so stress from the visit with the vet, that I didnt want to try too much to stress her out even more. I was sure to find her dead this morning. but she is still alive. She is a strong one.

I am really sad to see her go. I grew fond of the little thing. But maybe the breeder is better equipe to try and make her better. There isnt anything more I can do for her. and I rather her go get help somehow then for her to suffer any longer.

I would like to thank everyone who's helped me on this short little journey with her. I did my best. The vet told me I had good help and did a good job. I would also like to thank this website all together. Its helped me alot to learn more about my little creature. I like reading other people forum, i learn alot of things and they help me be prepare for what could happen in the future! Im sure I will be back on here with more questions soon...

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am glad to hear the pet store is so cooperative, and that the breeder is willing to help out.

Best wishes.
    I hope the breeder can help her.

Nationality
    [United States]

I hope also. It's tough to see them go. I think we actually become more attached to them sometimes when we are healing them. We become almost parent like when they need such devoted care. You did a great job!

Give the tank a good cleaning. Remove everything and use a 1/10th bleach/water solution. Rinse it completely. Be sure it is not slippery or slimy. It should feel squeaky clean. Then rinse inside and outside with a high concentration of water dechlorinator in the water. All bleach must be rinsed away. This will remove any bacteria or fungus in the enclosure. Toss any old substrate. Start fresh.

Good luck with your new baby. Monitor him closely since he is from the same breeder. A good breeder will practice good hygiene between frogs and tanks so he should be fine if that's the case.

frankypooh

I actually bought a new tank. A bigger one, cuz the one I have, the guy told me should only be temporary. Im watching all these videos on how to make a terrarium for the frogs, and I saw beautiful and complicated pictures on this site too. Is there a way I can make a nice simple terrarium without it being so complicated?? I dont think I could ever do the bottom like you guys do them..... or not in such short time anyways....
    Help! lol

Can I just put a layer of coconut fiber at the bottom or do i really need to put the whole bottom draining system??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad you're getting a new frog. But I'm also a little saddened about the sick one - my fingers are crossed for her but I'm not optimistic that the breeder would be able to do anything that your vet could not.

You should look into the basics of vivarium construction. Some good beginner advice here and here. There are also plenty of resources on this forum. A false bottom really isn't difficult to construct and it will make your life so much easier in the long run. What are the dimensions of your new tank?

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by killerecho View Post
    I'm glad you're getting a new frog. But I'm also a little saddened about the sick one - my fingers are crossed for her but I'm not optimistic that the breeder would be able to do anything that your vet could not.

You should look into the basics of vivarium construction. Some good beginner advice here and here. There are also plenty of resources on this forum. A false bottom really isn't difficult to construct and it will make your life so much easier in the long run. What are the dimensions of your new tank?
    The new tank is 12"x12"x18".

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,
    I just wanted to say something that might make you feel better. Like Brian mentioned I commend the breeder for caring enough to take-over its care. Please, no disrespect to your vet. However, the breeder may have a real advantage in this situation; and it is very possible for this frog to make a full recovery. The breeders are very use to treating and handling their frogs where as the vet has many other responsibilities throughout any given day; often relying on staff ( inexperienced w/ herps ) to help with treatments. A breeder in this situation will , personally, be much more involved with this very important day to day care ( and observation) of the frog. It take patience, TIME and a lot of experience with this particular species. The improvements in their illnesses can occur painstakingly slow.

i.e. I had a black eyed tree frog that was ill for 7 weeks. ( That handsome little guy in my avatar ) For 7 weeks this frog did not eat! It needed daily soaks to stay hydrated, force feeding, special supplemental feedings, antibiotics, and to make matters worse toward the end of the 7 weeks medication for parasites -not once , but twice ! So, just imagine a vet's helper doing this.

Heatheranne, has had similar experiences. She has 'cured' red eyed tree frogs that would have been doomed otherwise. It took months !

Enjoy your new frog, keep things really clean, temp and humidity parameters ( if not perfect ) at least consistent , provide a day night cycle, don't handle it ( they don't like us ... we stress them out ! ) , feed him well....and you're good to go.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

It is true. Red eyes do great when the husbandry is to a 'T', but if anything is off, they are fragile. This means keeping the temps and humidity accurate, keeping their homes pest free, proper day/night cycles, changing their soaking water daily, dechlorinating the water, proper food with proper supplements, in a nice quiet, stress-free area is needed to keep them from getting sick. Trust me, I love mine and wouldn't change a thing, but healthy frogs are much easier to care for than ill ones. It's also good to have a herp vet on hand with some emergency medications and home remedies. We can sometimes catch ailments quickly and stop the processes before they become a battle.

I have learned this through experience, as Lynn has mentioned. Only one of my red eyes was purchased healthy. The rest were taken in sick to save them. It can be done but it's tedious work.

If you can keep them on a consistent, healthy routine they learn to tolerate us. They learn we are their feeders and will even come to the front of their tanks at dinner time. They sometimes will even watch us vs. us watch them . They're little faces so precious and their silly antics so amusing, how can you not just adore them?

We love ours. I can have a rotten day, be stressed out, or crazy busy and I come home and start their house chores and they give you that tilted puppy dog look like they're trying to figure us out and I can't help but smile. I think it's this big red eyes .

frankypooh

I am happy that she (Timbit) is going back to her breeder. As much as I care for her, I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to make her better. The pet store told me they would keep me posted on how she does!
    The new frogs are in the new terrarium. They are a nice bright color green and more lively than Timbit was when I got her. I wish I could've been able to tell before hand.
    I was wondering what you guys think of feeding bowls for feeding crickets?? Pros and cons?? Recommend or not? And if so, how big, how deep, what should I use???

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

See posts #10 through 14 of this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information