Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

frankypooh

Default Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

I'm new owner of a red eyed tree frog since december 21st. Two days ago, i noticed a bump (bubble) on one of her eye, and last night we noticed a little one starting on her other one. I have no idea what happened or what it could be!! Help??? and what can I do to make it better.

She also has a nose rub... what should I be putting on it?? Ive read different things and want to make sure to put the right thing!

I also noticed that she hasnt been eating. She has bathed a couple of times, but no eating. I tried putting her in a container with a couple of crickets, and she totalle ignored them.

Please help! Im new with all this, and dont konw what to do!!!

Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks as if your baby has a fungal infection. You will need a vet to prescribe treatment. Do you have a vet near by?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

frankypooh

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog sick??? HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    It looks as if your baby has a fungal infection. You will need a vet to prescribe treatment. Do you have a vet near by?
    I don't think the vets where I am from can. Small town with a lot of farms in the area. I will try to contact one tomorrow to see if they could help, but if they can't what else could I do????

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Where did you purchase this frog? The nose rub can be treated with silver sulfidiazene, which is best if prescribed by a vet. If that's not an option, I've heard of other frog keepers using neosporin WITHOUT pain relief as well - someone back me up on this? Apply the salve once a day, taking care to avoid the frog's nostrils. With proper care and treatment, nose rub usually heals quickly.

I have no idea what could have caused the eye issue. As difficult as it might be, I think a vet is your only hope there. I wouldn't count on it healing by itself.

Could you describe the enclosure you have the frog in? Does it have a water bowl or feature? Does it have a day and night cycle? What are the temperatures and humidity levels during day and night? Having a good setup and maintaining the proper conditions helps the new frog cope with the stress of relocating to a new environment, which may account for part of the reason it's not interested in the crickets. Once it settles down and gets accustomed to its surroundings - that is, assuming whatever is causing the eye problem isn't stressing it out constantly - it should feed on its own. Red eyes usually feed when they're active, and they're usually active at night. I wouldn't wake it up from a daytime slumber, drop it in a cricket container, and expect good results, although your mileage may vary.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with killerecho. SSD cream will treat the nose, whether it be bacterial or fungal. Medicated eye drops are needed for the eyes.

Try contacting Dr. Frye. He prescribes my frog medications and sends them to me in the mail since there are no good exotic vets in my area.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

http://milanareaanimalhospital.com/about.html
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by killerecho View Post
    Could you describe the enclosure you have the frog in? Does it have a water bowl or feature? Does it have a day and night cycle? What are the temperatures and humidity levels during day and night? Having a good setup and maintaining the proper conditions helps the new frog cope with the stress of relocating to a new environment, which may account for part of the reason it's not interested in the crickets. Once it settles down and gets accustomed to its surroundings - that is, assuming whatever is causing the eye problem isn't stressing it out constantly - it should feed on its own. Red eyes usually feed when they're active, and they're usually active at night. I wouldn't wake it up from a daytime slumber, drop it in a cricket container, and expect good results, although your mileage may vary.
    The enclosure I have is the one she was in at the pet store. I purchased her with the enclosure. The enclosure has a piece of drift wood, coconut husk at the bottom, a water bowl, some vines with leaves and some fake grass. I don't have a thermometer for the temperature but I will be going today to purchase one. The humidity stays between 70 and 80 if my thermometer tells me right....

I purchased her where I live in Ottawa, but I am at my parents in a small town for the holidays. I will try to call one of the small animal local vets to see if they can help me. If not, I will go see the vets in Ottawa.

she has a couple of crickets in there with her and we keep track of the count. They don't seem to have disappeared. Should I be putting her in a quarantine tank?

frankypooh

I have sent an email with pictures to Dr Frye. Just waiting on a reply!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

What is the size of the enclosure? If she's the only occupant in the there, I think you can leave her be. I hope Dr. Frye can give you some advice, but as far as the meds go, I don't believe he ships to Canada. Did she have these issues at the pet store? If so, they may be at fault for selling you a sick animal.

frankypooh

What is the size of the enclosure? If she's the only occupant in the there, I think you can leave her be. I hope Dr. Frye can give you some advice, but as far as the meds go, I don't believe he ships to Canada. Did she have these issues at the pet store? If so, they may be at fault for selling you a sick animal.
    She had the rubbed nose when I picked her up. They told me it was normal with red eyed and to put polysporin on it, But I don't remember noticing her eye.

i think her eye is bleeding a bit this morning. But I don't want to wake up her, trying to disturb her only when necessary. So I will take a picture tonight.

she is alone in her enclosure. It's a small exo terra terrarium, they mentioned that it should only be temporary. I was planning on getting a bigger enclosure at the end of January.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would remove any substrate, wipe it down with warm dechlorinated water and then only use paper towel as substrate until she heals. Change it daily. Mist with dechlorinated water or spring water. Change her water bowl water daily.

You'll need a thermometer and a hygrometer (measures humidity) inside her home. Digital are more accurate, but others are okay. Try to get a decent one. Her humidity must stay at 70-80%. I mist am and pm. A fogger or mister can be used.

The store has not told you the truth. It is not normal for frogs to do that. It is a sign of stress. It seems he was trying to get out of his enclosure. No skin or eye lesions are normal for them. It is up to you what you decide. Though, he will need vet care for the eyes. It sounds as though its getting worse if its bleeding. It will not reverse itself without medication, soon.

Try using a clear glass bowl for feeding. He will learn where the crickets are and will go to the bowl to eat. It's easier to keep track of how's he is eating. Plus you won't have crickets running around the tank laying eggs and biting. Either way, remove any uneaten crickets daily after giving him a decent while to eat. Using the bowl method, you can just remove them in the morning and place them back into the cricket holder to eat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh yes, I forgot...remove the coconut husk. It is not safe for them. Use coconut fiber instead. Moisten it with dechlorinated or spring water only. It is hard for them to hunt through and if he accidentally gets a piece when lunging for a cricket, he can die of impaction. We have heard some sad stories with loose moss, coco husk, and gravel. Though, if you use the feeding bowl, it would technically be okay.

frankypooh

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot...remove the coconut husk. It is not safe for them. Use coconut fiber instead. Moisten it with dechlorinated or spring water only. It is hard for them to hunt through and if he accidentally gets a piece when lunging for a cricket, he can die of impaction. We have heard some sad stories with loose moss, coco husk, and gravel. Though, if you use the feeding bowl, it would technically be okay.
    Sorry, I meant coconut fiber. Still new with the terms lol.. When I got her she had husk and I removed it all and put coconut fiber.

how big should the feeding bowl be? Right now I only have a small terrarium so I'm not sure if I could fit one in... I also wanted to know. There is fake plastic grass, should I remove it, or is that something that is ok in there?

Would I be safe putting polysporin eye drops on her eyes? Or should I wait to talk to a vet tomorrow?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just big enough that the frog can fit inside. I'd say anything over 3 inch diameter. Make sure the sides are smooth and steep enough so the bugs can't climb out.

Talk to the vet first. There are at least half a dozen different varieties of polysporin. I wouldn't use it without plenty of research. The pet store's recommendation isn't worth much imo.

Nationality
    [United States]

^ Yep, just a small dish is fine. Most dollar stores carry clear candy dishes which are about 1 1/2" tall and they work great. My gecko eats from a smooth square candle holder dish.

^ And yes, wait for the vet to be safe.

Glad you changed the substrate .

frankypooh

Ok, thank you very much!! You've been very helpful! I will be calling a vet tomorrow, since they were closed today. And hopefully they can help me. And I will also be going to see the pet shop I bought it from when I go back home.

i will be cleaning her enclosure thoroughly and trying the feeding dish and removing the old crickets. I have a few that made a small hole and are hiding behind the background....

frankypooh

The enclosure has been thoroughly cleaned and a feeding dish has been put in. Hopefully it's not too high.

thank you to everyone who's been helping me! I will keep you posted on what the vet says.

Nationality
    [United States]

Perfect .

frankypooh

Unfortunately the vets in the area I'm in at the moment know nothing of the red eyed tree frog, but I was able to make an appointment with a vet back where I live in Ottawa. The only thing is, it's not until January 2nd.

So hopefully with all I've been doing will keep her going until then! She's been drinking and peeing, but she hasn't been eating.... But her colors are really good!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

That's ok, keep making food available if she comes around. You can try feeding her with tweezers or tongs if you have a pair.

frankypooh

That's ok, keep making food available if she comes around. You can try feeding her with tweezers or tongs if you have a pair.
    Found her sleeping on the inside of the feeding bowl this morning, but all crickets intact and called for. She didn't eat, but at least getting closer!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information