Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! RED EYE REALLY ILLL!!!!!!!!!!! or something...

Default HELP!!!!!! something wrong with red eye baby

woke up this morning and saw one of my babies in the corner...dead....i got the other baby out and figured out he was ok. the dead one looked like he had srivvled up and just died mid movment. was leaning his head against the glass. they were fine last night and up and moving....
    the one was in a water bowl. when my mom went to get the dead one out of the tank..i couldnt cause i was crying so hard.....he moved. he still alive I dont know whats wrong. please help...he wont move....very stiff. the other one seems fine...but i want to make sure its not some type of illness....
    PLEASE HELP ME.................((

literally looked like he was dry and died in the middle of the night!! we got them into diffrent contianers both have wet paper towels on the bottom and some just covering the top half....
    please help!!!!

also very shallow breathing from the both of them even though i know they are stressed because we moved them....
    Attachment 43952Attachment 43951Attachment 43950Attachment 43954 heres the one i thought was dead this morning

Attachment 43953Attachment 43949Attachment 43948 heres the other babe seems to be ok....
    Attachment 43947Attachment 43945Attachment 43946 here is the contianers we got them in now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! RED EYE REALLY ILLL!!!!!!!!!!! or something...

Savannah, try the pedialyte and dechlorinated water soak. 1 part plain, unflavored, clear pedialyte to 10 parts dechlorinated luke warm water for 20 minutes with water no deeper than his under belly.

What is the humidity in their tank? Set-up? Flooring? Temp? Foods? Calcium with vita D supplements? Multivitamin supplement? How often?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: HELP!!!!!! something wrong with red eye baby

So sorry Savannah, but there's not much I can recommend except taking him to the vet immediately. You can try the pedialyte soak as Heather recommended but aside from that there aren't that many options that would arrive or work quickly enough to save him.

Did you notice any signs of trouble before this happened? Is there anything in his cage that can cause impaction? Any indication of red leg, stress or decreased appetite leading up to this? What does he smell like? Even when alive, a stressed or sick red eye can smell like rotten eggs.

Try not to be too upset. Frogs are fragile animals and even if you did everything right, there is no guarantee that they will survive. All we can do is try to learn from the experience and move on.

5. This member thanks killerecho for this post:

i think we know what happened. i didnt have a temperature gauge...but we think it got to hot and dry. i had been misting and i had gave him water. but he liked to be way up high i think thats why he got so bad. no no signs beforehand acting eating perfectly fine no signs whatsoever. he's crawling around but is struggling to.....smells fine.
    will the brown spots heal?? and should i still do the pedialyte soak???

Name:  20121224_161507_resized.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  68.9 KB

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I think you should. The brown spots should go away as he recovers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do the pedialyte soak then let him air dry a few minutes and apply a very thin layer of ORIGINAL neosporin over his whole back, legs, and all spots the best you can without stressing him too much. NOT the pain reliever type - it will kill him. Continue the soaks daily until he rehydrates and looks normal again. Then apply the neosporin with a new Qtip gently every day to just the spots until they heal. Put a little glob on the Qtip and roll the Qtip in a twisting motion gently along his skin. It's okay if it leaves tiny globs. Use a hospital tank for him until he heals. Use paper towel substrate and change daily. Wipe the walls and floor of the tank daily with fresh paper towels and dechlorinated water. Mist with dechlorinated water or spring water. The paper towels should be moist, but not soaked. Cover three sides of the hospital tank with darkish paper such as dark green. Cover part of the screen top with foil or Saran Wrap to keep the moisture in. You'll need a temp and humidity gauge.

It is very easy for them to get sick but you can still help him. He needs to be kept warm at about 78 degrees and the humidity needs to be at 70 - 80%, especially for healing.

You can do it. Try not to stress.

You can also email Dr. Frye. He can prescribe antibiotics and antifungals as needed. His office is closed for the holiday though.

Start the treatments tonight. Keep me posted, ok? I work tomorrow 3:00pm to 11:30 pm, but I'll check back in the morning before work.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; December 25th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The brown spots should turn black, then purplish-blue, to blue or tan scars as he heals.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh...forgot to mention.... Please be sure to wash your hands well and rinse thoroughly before cleaning the hospital tank. You could also wear non-powdered gloves.

Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! RED EYE REALLY ILLL!!!!!!!!!!! or something...

okay................thank you

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome. I hope your little fella pulls through.

me to. he looks okay this morning. ill start that with the neosporin today. i just didn't want to stress him out more after yesterday. thank you everyone.
    he also has those brown spots around his nose....how should i apply neoaprin there without getting it into holes i shouldn/t///should i just aviod his face to be safe??

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like severe dehydration. Heather has you covered. Do everything she has advised and keep everyone posted. I can't stress enough how you must have both a hygrometer and temp gauge so you KNOW what the climate in the enclosure is. when they try to escape the heat and the entire enclosure is too warm they can perish. The one was soaking because it was trying to cool itself and hydrate.

I would do daily Pedialyte soaks for both frogs just to be sure.

Try and avoide the face. You don't want to get any in the frog's eyes or nostils.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, avoid the nose for now. Just watch that area. You may have to treat it later. Treating their face stresses them most. If it doesn't look better in a few days, you may have to treat it.

I agree on soaking them both.

Dehydration weakens their immune systems and they become susceptible to bacterial infections. They lose electrolytes quickly.

I took in 6 dehydrated rescues from a pet store last year. They had the tank humidity at 50-60%. Within a few days of going back to the store they all had bacterial infections and some had fungal infections from laying in the substrate too long to absorb moisture. 5 pulled through. The littlest one had lost too much weight and the infection was too bad to make it.

Think of it as us being in the desert without anything to drink for a day. Sounds extreme, but it's the same scenario. We have to maintain a tropical environment for them, as close to their natural homes as possible.

Caught early, you can heal them. It's a good learning experience.

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

he's looking bad agian....( looked all dry and ive been misting. i misted and he woke up. he hasnt ate since the event...do i need to force feed him?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    he's looking bad agian....( looked all dry and ive been misting. i misted and he woke up. he hasnt ate since the event...do i need to force feed him?
    Keep up with the Pedialyte baths.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not yet. Rehydrate him with the soaks. Force feeding is stressful. Give him another day to see if he eats.

If he sheds tonight you can sneak a cricket in his mouth. Remove the legs and head and it will go in easier. Otherwise, just give him a soak.

How is his skin looking? The wounds?

he hardly moves....i don't think he'll shed. his wounds (some of them) are now a white color and kinda flaky. he barely looks like hes breathing. we are getting the stuff for the soak tomorrow and we will start that tomorrow. i think the other one is being a bit of a dominant one to. so tomorrow i should be able to finish my new tank and ill put him in there. hopefully then the sick one will be able to eat without the healthy one there. mom n i are wondering if that's some of whats going on with him not eating and being the last to the bowl....if its a dominance thing?
    how much do i have to worry about that with red eyes??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Territorial behavior in red eyed tree frogs generally occurs during mating season or in times of resource (space, water) shortage, and even then it usually stops short of physical confrontation. It's very unlikely that bullying is responsible for the condition of this frog, especially if you have ample space in the tank. However, separating them might be a good idea at this point, if only for quarantining. But make sure the new enclosure has all the right conditions with regard to humidity, temperatures, etc. It also wouldn't hurt to have a vet at the ready should things take a bad turn.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One thing I would do is to soak the tube of plain neosprorin in a cup of warm water 76-80f for a few minutes before
    doing the application.

Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you can, start the soaks soon. It sounds as though he really needs the energy boost. They are quite fragile when they're sick or dehydrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information