Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Should i give up???

  1. #1
    Murray of the Deep
    Guest

    Angry Should i give up???

    why is it that i cant breed any foods for frogs i tried mealworms,crickets,and nightcrawler. Some of my nightcrawler ended up dying because the newspaper(as cover on top) got blown away.... but i still have some can they still breed to hundreds i estimate they are about 30 worms.and also im trying mealworms again.... will my nigthcrawler still breed??

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #2

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Cricket culturing guide: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...e-cricket.html

    Are your Nightcrawlers Lumbricus terrestris? They need cool temperatures and are very slow at breeding. You might look into other varieties that are easier to culture.

    Mealworms are pretty easy, I keep mine in a shoebox sized tupperware bin in a substrate made from ground up oats, bran, and other gran type products. They get fresh veggie scraps every couple of days as a source of moisture. Other than that they are left alone to do their own thing. Their lifecycle will take a few months depending on temperature, so be patient especially since the eggs are tiny and very hard to see. They seem to still breed down to 16C or so, but are more productive at higher temperatures.

  4. #3
    Murray of the Deep
    Guest

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    But how can i prevent too much fruit flies,flies,and ants they're killing all my feeders!!!

  5. #4

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    But how can i prevent too much fruit flies,flies,and ants they're killing all my feeders!!!
    Keep your feeders in sealed bins with ventilation holes covered up with fine screening to keep out pests. Ants can't climb vaseline very well, so a ring of it around the container on the outside will discourage them or a product like Tanglefoot will also work. You can get fruit fly traps or make your own (google 'fruit fly trap').

    Make sure nothing that goes in your feeder bins can be harboring pests or the eggs of pests. Clean out the cricket bin every week or more frequently if pests appear.

  6. #5
    Murray of the Deep
    Guest

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Keep your feeders in sealed bins with ventilation holes covered up with fine screening to keep out pests. Ants can't climb vaseline very well, so a ring of it around the container on the outside will discourage them or a product like Tanglefoot will also work. You can get fruit fly traps or make your own (google 'fruit fly trap').

    Make sure nothing that goes in your feeder bins can be harboring pests or the eggs of pests. Clean out the cricket bin every week or more frequently if pests appear.
    I cant make an effective one and I think that my fire belly toad and cane toad cant catch those flies!and also can i get sick if i try to culture fruit flies?

  7. #6

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    I cant make an effective one and I think that my fire belly toad and cane toad cant catch those flies!
    An effective one what? A fruit fly trap? A basic one is just a plastic bottle with holes punched in the side and some liquid bait at the bottom. This isn't to catch fruit flies alive and feed to your amphibians, but to help control your problem. Good sanitation and secure breeding containers for your feeders is most important though.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    and also can i get sick if i try to culture fruit flies?
    I can't see how getting sick from fruit flies would be possible. Don't try to capture and breed the ones that fly around and invade your kitchen, if you want to raise fruit flies read this Frog Forum - Fruit Fly Culturing, Care and Feeding - Everything you need to know about Drosophila

  8. #7
    Murray of the Deep
    Guest

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    An effective one what? A fruit fly trap? A basic one is just a plastic bottle with holes punched in the side and some liquid bait at the bottom. This isn't to catch fruit flies alive and feed to your amphibians, but to help control your problem. Good sanitation and secure breeding containers for your feeders is most important though.



    I can't see how getting sick from fruit flies would be possible. Don't try to capture and breed the ones that fly around and invade your kitchen, if you want to raise fruit flies read this Frog Forum - Fruit Fly Culturing, Care and Feeding - Everything you need to know about Drosophila
    Because I red at one of the books in out library it was titled "Grade A Science Projects" forgot the author and saw breeding melanogaster,and it said place a banana and leave it for 30 mins after several flies are seen take a towel and secure with a rubber band.and after a few days little maggots will be shown and it said if i have done my experiment ,discard the flies by placing it in a freezer,and it says because fruit flies carry disease! can i take these steps???and also do they really carry disease?

  9. #8

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    Because I red at one of the books in out library it was titled "Grade A Science Projects" forgot the author and saw breeding melanogaster,and it said place a banana and leave it for 30 mins after several flies are seen take a towel and secure with a rubber band.and after a few days little maggots will be shown and it said if i have done my experiment ,discard the flies by placing it in a freezer,and it says because fruit flies carry disease! can i take these steps???and also do they really carry disease?
    A quick google search suggests they can pick up bacteria from stuff they land on (like rotting meat), but I'd expect this isn't likely to be a problem unless you're wallowing in filth. This definitely shouldn't be an issue if you are culturing the flightless version, which is the only sane thing to do if you plan to use them as feeders, as they should come from a clean source and you control their diet and living environment.

    The fruit flies you have are pests, so killing them off in the freezer would be a good idea anyway.

  10. #9
    Murray of the Deep
    Guest

    Default Re: Should i give up???

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    A quick google search suggests they can pick up bacteria from stuff they land on (like rotting meat), but I'd expect this isn't likely to be a problem unless you're wallowing in filth. This definitely shouldn't be an issue if you are culturing the flightless version, which is the only sane thing to do if you plan to use them as feeders, as they should come from a clean source and you control their diet and living environment.

    The fruit flies you have are pests, so killing them off in the freezer would be a good idea anyway.
    And also how can I trap those flightless fruitflies?I cannot buy them at any store in the Philippines!!!and also I can only find those flying ones(red,white,black) eyes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I give up!!!
    By Bor in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: October 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
  2. How many crickets should I give for two frogs?
    By Holly12 in forum Tomato Frogs, Painted Frogs & Microhylids
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
  3. I have to give back my FBT's please help!
    By superphil92 in forum Fire Belly Toads (Bombina)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
  4. Maybe I should just give up
    By hotgt46 in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
  5. Can I give my frog my illness?
    By Crystal6 in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •