Thread: Cute Little Mealworm beetle MUST SEE!!!

Murray of the Deep

Cool Cute Little Mealworm beetle MUST SEE!!!

Name:  cute.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  59.7 KB
    This was my cutest tiniest mealworm beetle i ever saw,i got tinies last time and this was the smallest one!!!!
    Got surprised when i saw the beetle in my pupa bin....
    Hope you like it ^^

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cute Little Mealworm beetle MUST SEE!!!

Congrats on getting an adult beetle to eclose! Hopefully more will follow = )
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    Congrats on getting an adult beetle to eclose! Hopefully more will follow = )
    Sadly I lost it , its cage was blown away by the wind and fell into my goldfish basin and found it not there anymore he was eaten T_T,Are these small pupa common??

Nationality
    [United States]

Its difficult to judge the size of the beetle or the pupae from your picture, so I really don't know if your "small pupae" are common or not. As a general rule, larvae for most insect species need to attain a critical size in their final instar before they can have a successful pupation. You had an adult beetle eclose, which means you obviously did something right...whether she is smaller than average or not she is still an adult and could breed for you.

Jeromeetabuzo - I've read through several of your posts and received a few PM's from you and I have to say I think your major problem with rearing any of these feeder insects is the fact that you are keeping them outside. Is there any chance you can keep them inside in your room? Or perhaps in a garage or some shelter at the least? I feel like the external elements are causing you most of your problems with the mealworms, katydids, earthworms, etc because it is very difficult to control for weather.

Also, consider using container with a lid so your insects and earthworms cannot climb out. You can keep these guys in kritter keepers, or in plastic bins with holes cut into the lid for ventilation (simplistically). I think you'll find you can be more successful in your insect culturing if you can make these changes = )
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    Its difficult to judge the size of the beetle or the pupae from your picture, so I really don't know if your "small pupae" are common or not. As a general rule, larvae for most insect species need to attain a critical size in their final instar before they can have a successful pupation. You had an adult beetle eclose, which means you obviously did something right...whether she is smaller than average or not she is still an adult and could breed for you.

Jeromeetabuzo - I've read through several of your posts and received a few PM's from you and I have to say I think your major problem with rearing any of these feeder insects is the fact that you are keeping them outside. Is there any chance you can keep them inside in your room? Or perhaps in a garage or some shelter at the least? I feel like the external elements are causing you most of your problems with the mealworms, katydids, earthworms, etc because it is very difficult to control for weather.

Also, consider using container with a lid so your insects and earthworms cannot climb out. You can keep these guys in kritter keepers, or in plastic bins with holes cut into the lid for ventilation (simplistically). I think you'll find you can be more successful in your insect culturing if you can make these changes = )
    I cant my room is too cold!!and my pacman died there already , and cant place it indoors , i have no more room and why wont my mealworm beetles eat(one dead) i gave them pieces of cabbage and pechay(chinese cabbage), they just keep digging through the soil I placed them in a betta keeper(small cubic tank) and they wont mind the veggies should I try pear or apples?the katydid is dead already(both of them ,froze to death).And now all I want to culture are the nighcrawlers and the mealworms.I gave up on crickets , they keep on eating each other and ants always jump into their habitat and ravage them all.can you show me a picture of a mealworm beetle breeding tank??

Thread Information