Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain chambers and breeding

Locascio

Default Rain chambers and breeding

Most breeders induce breeding up to 4 times a year by injecting adults with a form of LHRH a pituitary stimulating hormone. Breeding can also be induced naturally by exposing the frogs to 4-6 hours of night “rain” in a manmade rain chamber for several days in a row following a cool rest period of 1 to 3 months on the other hand its best to breed frogs and toads the natural way by re-creating seasonal cycles because using hormones is dangerous and sometimes kills the frogs now that the conditions to stimulate frogs and toads to breed are better understood most breeders produce horned frogs without resorting to drugs. The first step in breeding any animal is determining whether or not you have a mature, sexable pair who are healthy and vigorous never attempt to breed underweight frogs or frogs that are not 100% healthy males that are in breeding condition will have nuptial pads (raised areas on the inside of their “thumbs”) which become nearly black also their throats have looser skin and are darker. Females that are ready for breeding will gain 100 grams or more within weeks so keep a close eye on all of your frogs weights i also suggest that you make a recordkeeping checklist even if you never attempt to breed its still good practice something’s you’ll want to keep track of is 1)the weight of the animal. This should be done weekly, bi-weekly or monthly, depending on the animals age 2)date and time of last meal 3)number and size of prey 4)any breeding or reproductive activity, including the number of matings, number of eggs versus the number of viable eggs ext. this is important for both sexes5)any health problems, such as regurgitation, refusing to eat diarrhea 6) all veterinary visits or medical treatments such as dewormings antibiotic treatments, honey baths (NOTE)anacur is safe to use on amphibians by giving .1ml pur 100 grams of body weight using a syringe you inject a pray item i.e. pinky mouse earthworms or crickets then feeding it to your frog) 7)any information that may even have the slightest significance to the animals wellbeing later in life remember what does not seem significant now may be extremely important two years from now. You will want to have your rain chamber built before your frogs come out of aestivation .numerous breeders have observed their frogs and toads displaying breeding behavior immediately before thunderstorms or during particularly rainy times out of the year it is thought this may be related to natural changes in barometric pressure resulting from storms that amphibians can sense. another aspect of some types of amphibian breeding is the need to fight with other males either throw actual combat or vocal the selection process favors the largest and the loudest males so by having multiple males you’ll be recreating their natural breeding habits thus a higher chance for a successful breeding a word of caution to those who are trying to breed horned frogs (C.cranwelli) or pixie frogs (pyxicephalus adspersus) you need to keep a close eye on the breeding chamber so that no frog gets harmed during the process these types of frogs have a very high pray drive and sometimes attacking cage mates is not uncommon

All information gathered thru my personal experience and provided by the following references.i would also like to thank everyone from the frogforum for all there help and support in making this the best website related to amphibians
    Reptile and amphibian parasite: Author Eric M. Rundquist
    Frogs and toads: Author Devin Edmonds
    Frogs in the aquarium: Author Werner von Filek
    Whites tree frogs: Author Phillippe de vosjoli
    Horned frogs: Author Phillippe de vosjoli
    Tadpole care: Phil Purser
    Horned frog care: Allen R. Both
    Frogs, Toads, and Tree frogs: Author Bartlett and Bartlett
    Tree frogs: Devin Edmonds
    American treefrogs: Author Jerry G.Walls
    Frogs and toads of the world: Author Chris Mattison
    Frogs, toads, salamanders and how they reproduce: Author Dorothy Hinshaw patent
    Frogs inside their remarkable world: Author Ellin Beltz
    I would highly suggest reading all of these books

2. 4 members thank Locascio for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mercedesherp

Default Re: Rain chambers and breeding

You are well on your way should you wish to breed frogs, and, may I add, your effort to assist is appreciated.
    Hank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Philippe published a book with all of this info. There is still many things missing about the actual breeding and timing of the frogs. Another missing part is the amount of LHRH you give each frog. That information though should not be given to every person asking for it.

Mercedesherp

Clearly,
    The attempt by the OP was to allow an understanding of hormonally asssited breedeing/ VS / natuaral breeding, and/or, opportunities for those concerned.
    Mike, Let by-gones be by-gones,
    Let's start a new year as new.
    My hand of friendship is there.
    Best to you and all those around you,
    Hank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is a link for everyone interested in the book/s
    Horned Frogs: Plus Budgett's Frogs - Philippe De Vosjoli - Google Books

Mercedesherp

So be it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesherp View Post
    So be it
    Hank since you work with Cornuta you should post a thread on them. That will attract a lot of responses.

Nationality
    [United States]

... Am I just missing what was offensive here?
    I have no intentions of breeding pacs either naturally or with hormones, but if the info's already been published in another source, then what is the issue with bringing it up?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I dont know what was offensive either. I figured those that like to read out of a book would like to know they have been published. I own two of philippes books on pacmans and a kindle version on pyxies. The books contain a great deal of info and are low cost.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice book list...thanks Loc! That's what I need. Whether I decide to breed just to try it or not that's some great Information that saves me a lot of time and questions. Thanks again!
    Thanks
    DW

Locascio

I am simply providing this information to those who would find in informative and helpful. The information is coming from books in my personal library, and my experience in this very area. I am posting this in an effort to further educate those who may find it helpful.

Mercedesherp

Reply to post # 7,
    While there may be a growing interest in C. cornuta as captives, they are out-numbered by the avialability of even the most newly avialable species. I think it would better serve the keeping
    community to further develop a sharper dicipine of skills concerning the more commonly kept species. As such, the more experience one has with any single species, the better the understanding of
    working with any/all. Perhaps you should relate some of your experiences concerning your captives.
    PDV & BM, ....It is probable that these two men are the only reason we have these frogs to enjoy. By all means, reading their helpfull publications should be required by all keepers. ( I strongly suggest)
    I fully intend to provide information for all to use. Since you have a very large collection of more commonly kept species, please help members become more comfortable and understanding with
    husbandry concepts by starting your own informational thread, relating your own experiences.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I do answer any questions that are sent to me via email or call/txt.

I don't understand why you refuse to post info on cornutas. I know that thread would give you the responses you are looking for. I have had a handful of wc cornutas and I believe they are garbage frogs and not worth importing.

The cbb babies I got this year did great and none died. I have my own ways of making sure they survive and get a good start. Anyone that bought those cornutas from me will vouch that they eat very well compaired to cornutas purchased elsewhere.

All of the general care on cranwelli and ornata can be found on the internet and in books with ease.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesherp View Post
    I fully intend to provide information for all to use. Since you have a very large collection of more commonly kept species, please help members become more comfortable and understanding with
    husbandry concepts by starting your own informational thread, relating your own experiences.
    You know, most of the people you've told to 'help members become more comfortable' with their care or something to that effect are actually very active and informative members...
    The reason no one really writes purely informational posts like you are talking about are treated like any other thread; after a week or two, no one is likely to find them without specifically searching for them.

All the basic care info for cranwelli and ornata is pretty easy to find, both on this forum and on the internet in general.
    Yes, there are fewer cornuta keepers, but even on this forum there would be a lot of interest in hearing what someone who knows a lot about them has to say. There seem to be several active threads about cornuta at any given time.

Mercedesherp

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    I do answer any questions that are sent to me via email or call/txt.

I don't understand why you refuse to post info on cornutas. I know that thread would give you the responses you are looking for. I have had a handful of wc cornutas and I believe they are garbage frogs and not worth importing.

The cbb babies I got this year did great and none died. I have my own ways of making sure they survive and get a good start. Anyone that bought those cornutas from me will vouch that they eat very well compaired to cornutas purchased elsewhere.

All of the general care on cranwelli and ornata can be found on the internet and in books with ease.

There is no such thing as a "garbage frog", perhaps you meant "difficult captive, when, collected from the wild.", to this I would agree.
    Is there any way for you to determine the breeder of the cbb babies you you were able to aquire this year? USA CB. ?
    There are no "secrets" with C. cornuta, ( other than an understanding, of,what you understand, or, have learned about them )

Mercedesherp

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    You know, most of the people you've told to 'help members become more comfortable' with their care or something to that effect are actually very active and informative members...
    The reason no one really writes purely informational posts like you are talking about are treated like any other thread; after a week or two, no one is likely to find them without specifically searching for them.

All the basic care info for cranwelli and ornata is pretty easy to find, both on this forum and on the internet in general.
    Yes, there are fewer cornuta keepers, but even on this forum there would be a lot of interest in hearing what someone who knows a lot about them has to say. There seem to be several active threads about cornuta at any given time.
    Obviously you agree with Mikes' Frogs in the satiation of information avialability concerning typically kept species.
    Informational posts are very different than open threads which often drift off topic. Informational posts may need a place to be put upon the forum, may need to be modified, edited, updated, etc., yet
    they may provide a more comprehensible understanding, than personal communications on an evolving thread which may become confusing due to " drifting".
    Again, I will eventually post my experiences with C. cornuta, that will be a task<

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When everyone that imported the wc surinams this year had most of the frogs die they are known as garbage frogs to me. Something that should not be collected but is even though 90% die. Much like calabar pythons.

I know the breeder of the cornutas but that info will not be given out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are usa cbb. I will be breeding cornutas next year also along with c. Joaz.

Mercedesherp

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    When everyone that imported the wc surinams this year had most of the frogs die they are known as garbage frogs to me. Something that should not be collected but is even though 90% die. Much like calabar pythons.

I know the breeder of the cornutas but that info will not be given out.

While I agree that some folks have lost some, or all, of the cornutas they may have come across in 2012, this is about the same, historically for this species.
    Newly imported anurans need specific specialized care and enviornments, (IMHO)
    Perhaps, I know your cornuta breeder also. AS you, that information will not be given out, to the general public.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You probably know him. The general public couldn't buy from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information