Thread: Leopard frogs or pickerel frogs

Igotherps

Default Leopard frogs or pickerel frogs

I've raised these frogs from tadpoles I rescued from a oily patch of water in a ditch last spring they have gotten along fine togather but 2 of them have slightly differnt patterns on thier back, the smallest of the 3 has very round spots, im pretty sure its a leopard frog. I've looked at tons of picture of leopard frogs and pickerel frogs and can't seem to get a clear identification. The other 2 don't have blocky spots like pics of pickeral frogs I've seen a few of thier spots look more like lines. And I don't see any yellowing on any of their thighs. Can anyone tell me for sure? I've heard pickerel frogs should not be kept with leopard frogs since pickerels are toxic but they have gotten along fine since they were tadpoles so I'm hoping they are all leopards.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Leopard frogs or pickerel frogs

I can't really see well in those pictures. But pickerel frogs seem to have bigger more uniform spots whereas leopard frog spots can be various sizes and the spots are all over the place (not all in a straight uniform pattern).

Though I can't see very well I think all pictures are leopard frog.

The shape of the spots look like leopard frogs, on a pickerel they are more square shaped.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but are they green? Pickerels are general tan/brownish in colour, and not green.

The orange/yellow markings on the inside of the leg of a Pickerel won't be present in young frogs, but would probably be there if yours are over a year old. It's very obvious when present.

Igotherps

New photos of Leo-pard and Rana

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

these are leopards

Igotherps

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    these are leopards
    Thanks I was sure they were but I was looking at the three of them the other day and became unsure after seeing Pipens spots looking very round and then looking at Leo-pard's and rana's spots some of which look more like lines. Also I caught them all at the same time but Pipens stayed a tadpole longer than Leo-pard or Rana, which is why she is a lot smaller. I'm pretty sure both Leo-pard and Rana are males cause they both call, and Pipens does not. 4 years ago I had caught an adult leopard frog and had named it Leo-pard I let it go last year, then last spring I found these tadpoles and raised them. once they morphed into frogs they started calling and I was like what the f is that sound? is my gecko doing that? But upon closer inspection it was Leo-pard calling. I had never heard my original Leo-pard calling so it must have been a female. I like to think these three I have now were laid by my old Leo-pard.

I've raised 5 tadpoles that are now froglets and I'm pretty sure four of them are tree frogs but there's one that I can't distinguish whether it's a pickerel frog or leopard frog. Any thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    The shape of the spots look like leopard frogs, on a pickerel they are more square shaped.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but are they green? Pickerels are general tan/brownish in colour, and not green.

The orange/yellow markings on the inside of the leg of a Pickerel won't be present in young frogs, but would probably be there if yours are over a year old. It's very obvious when present.
    That's not necessarily true in PA I have seen just as many green pickerel frogs as brown or tan. There are some places where there are only green pickerel frogs that I've observed. These are spots where there are no Leopard Frogs present.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    That's not necessarily true in PA I have seen just as many green pickerel frogs as brown or tan. There are some places where there are only green pickerel frogs that I've observed. These are spots where there are no Leopard Frogs present.

I think the color is like that a army brownish green.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumtreasure View Post
    I think the color is like that a army brownish green.
    In Western PA at least there are solid green pickerel frogs and brown pickerel frogs. I've caught some and also just taken photos of some. I don't have the best shot on the on frog but it's green in the picture. I have others but I don't have them on me they are on an old post I created maybe 3 years ago but I can assure you there are actually at least what I've seen 2 colors of pickerel frogs.

Thread Information