Thread: How often should i Feed it

lazzyguy800

Default How often should i Feed it

I got a female Leopard frog about a month ago, I feed it about six cricket's at once and it won't eat, when I leave, it may eat about 1 cricket every two days or maybe 3 days, How often should I feed it so that it eats as soon as the cricket enters the tank? I would really like to watch it hunt. I have seen plenty of videos where a leopard frog or, american bull frog, and many more different frogs eat a cricket as soon as it enters the tank, I want to get to that point so 1) I can view my frog eat 2) I can save money on crickets, 3) I can make sure my Frog is eat healthy.

I also think that it is an important note that the frog was caught in a creek in PA in early January. It was hibernating but with in a few days it warmed up. I am keeping it in a plastic, 1 gallon tub, that is about 10"x4"x6" inches. Once a week I move the frog from tub A into a second Identical tub (TUB B) that was pre-filled with water a week earlier. The frog stays in a different tub each week, it stays in TUB A for a week then i switch it to TUB B every friday. I dump the water from the TUB A and fill it up again and leave it sit until I switch the frog back from TUB B back to TUB A next week. and repeat the process. thats about it... I could use pointers and tips about anything im doing wrong, Also check out my tank on youtube

YouTube - lazzyguy800's Channel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: How often should i Feed it

First, the enclosures you are using for a leopard frog are too small. Ranids (the group of frogs for which the leopard frog is a member) have powerful jumping legs, they are also skittish, so they need larger enclosures to prevent injuring themselves when startled. A ten-gallon tank might work, but bigger is better.

Second, since it was taken from a creek in January in PA, it's not going to want to eat. Its brain is telling it that it's not time to eat yet. Meanwhile, if the frog is get at warmer temperatures it metabolism will kick in and since he is not eating, the frog's own body will begin to "digest" itself. I would keep this guy in some moist sphagnum and in a cool place till April. Your one gallon tubs may be fine for this, but come spring put the little guy in a bigger enclosure.

lazzyguy800

it does eat and it has been "woken up" it's active and eating. My question is how often should I feed her. It's about a 1 in frog not including the legs. I am looking for a new home but I can't go out and get a 10 gallon for these reasons: 1) Im 15 and have parents who are not all into small pets and spending my money on them. 2) I have no more room to put another 10 gallon tank (i already bought one in order to house a wild caught crayfish). Im looking for a bigger plastic tub. Its about
    2' 3"x13.5"x4" . Its not very tall but there is room for it to move around and swim. I am also browsing for a Uncle Milton frog aquarium. It is 13.5"x6"x8". Its a cage designed just for leopard frogs. Its a tub that has natural looking habitat with a small reservoir for it to swim plenty of land space and a small built in hut for hiding. The thing about my giant tub is it's solid green so I can's view the frog unless the frog happens to be pressed up to the side I might be able to see its outline. Is it bad if I keep it locked up in a box all the time. light can go through fine but not through the lid. but not much light. Any other recommendations on how to make a make **** tank. I might consider converting my fish tank into a half and half using a ReptoFilter. thanks for the help!

Kurt

Your last idea may work. Those Uncle Milton thingies aren't worth wasting your money on. I feed my frogs one to twice a week. I have no set rules to frequency of feeding. I just feel it out.

Thread Information