Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not eating much

Ribbits

Default Not eating much

I have a full grown albino pacman about 4 inches across. I have had him for about two years (he was pretty big when I got him). I keep his tank appropriately humid, his temp is measured in two places in the tank and is between 80-84 in the day and 78-79 at night. Lately he has not been burrowing much and does not have much of an appetite. He has not eaten once in the past 12 days. He goes through periods of less appetite and eats as much as 3 nightcrawlers every other day. I pretty much only feed him nightcrawlers. His previous owner said he has had pacmans that did not eat for several months at a time before, but it seems concerning to me. Any advice is appreciated, I am also awaiting a call back from the vet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Not eating much

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbits View Post
    I have a full grown albino pacman about 4 inches across. I have had him for about two years (he was pretty big when I got him). I keep his tank appropriately humid, his temp is measured in two places in the tank and is between 80-84 in the day and 78-79 at night. Lately he has not been burrowing much and does not have much of an appetite. He has not eaten once in the past 12 days. He goes through periods of less appetite and eats as much as 3 nightcrawlers every other day. I pretty much only feed him nightcrawlers. His previous owner said he has had pacmans that did not eat for several months at a time before, but it seems concerning to me. Any advice is appreciated, I am also awaiting a call back from the vet.
    How wet is the substrate? They wont burrow in overly saturated muddy substrate. They also do go through periods of reduced appetite. As they get older and more mature they will only eat enough to sustain themselves unless conditioned for breeding.

Ribbits

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    How wet is the substrate? They wont burrow in overly saturated muddy substrate. They also do go through periods of reduced appetite. As they get older and more mature they will only eat enough to sustain themselves unless conditioned for breeding.
    It is moist, but not wet. I give it one or two good sprayings a day as it is pretty dry here in colorado during the winter. Does not eating for almost two weeks or longer seem normal? I think he has gone a week before. I was thinking about offering him a thawed pinky for some change in diet.

Nationality
    [United States]

It is moist, but not wet. I give it one or two good sprayings a day as it is pretty dry here in colorado during the winter. Does not eating for almost two weeks or longer seem normal? I think he has gone a week before. I was thinking about offering him a thawed pinky for some change in diet.
    They do get bored with food items sometimes. Offering a variety is good. Try that out and see if he goes for it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

they have some periods of eating less, but usually for adult frog 2 weeks not eating is a bit too long under normal circumstances, how does he look? pictures would be helpful too.
    how often do you completely change the substrate and spot clean?
    have you done fecal test done?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ribbits

I change the substrate about every month and a half. I have been doing some research and it seems as though this might be a bit long. What are signs of Toxic out sydrome that I should look for. I will take a pic when I get home.

Nationality
    [United States]

I change the substrate about every month and a half. I have been doing some research and it seems as though this might be a bit long. What are signs of Toxic out sydrome that I should look for. I will take a pic when I get home.
    Lethargy, bloating, listless, not eating. When was the last time the frog had a bowel movement?

Post some pics of the frog and its setup. Also answer these questions and repost the answers here. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

Nationality
    [United States]

Even though some can go for a very long time without eating, if you've had one for two years and you start to get worried about not eating that's a sign something might be going on. I only have the one pac, but with my other herps it seems like you know right off which ones are prone to 'fasting' and which ones won't refuse a meal unless they're sick.

Like Grif said, post a picture of the frog and the setup info. Is he acting normal otherwise? As in, is he burrowing more/less than normal, soaking about the same amount, ect. ?

Ribbits

Name:  20121211_175029.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  91.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ribbits

here are some pics of him. I changed his substrate and gave him a soak with a bit of pedialite added. He does not appear to have any sores on his underside and did not seem lethargic as he was hopping around quite a bit during the soak. I talked to the vet and he said it might be toxicity issues or that it could just be that he is getting old. I think he is about 5. The vet said that he has read that they can live longer, but typically their expectancy is around 5 or 6 years as they can start to develop kidney issues at this time.

Nationality
    [United States]

here are some pics of him. I changed his substrate and gave him a soak with a bit of pedialite added. He does not appear to have any sores on his underside and did not seem lethargic as he was hopping around quite a bit during the soak. I talked to the vet and he said it might be toxicity issues or that it could just be that he is getting old. I think he is about 5. The vet said that he has read that they can live longer, but typically their expectancy is around 5 or 6 years as they can start to develop kidney issues at this time.
    Alot of kidney issues come from what they're fed, and water quality. Some older frogs will only eat once a week, but i's usually a large meal and they don't lose weight. Did the frog urinate and reduce in size after the soak?

Ribbits

not sure if he reduced in size or not

Nationality
    [United States]

not sure if he reduced in size or not
    Did the frog look less blated?

Ribbits

Did the frog look less blated?

It is hard to say, because he usually bloats up when I disturb him and then relaxes when he soaks. Anyways, I would say he looked a little smaller

Nationality
    [United States]

It is hard to say, because he usually bloats up when I disturb him and then relaxes when he soaks. Anyways, I would say he looked a little smaller
    Im trying to determine whether the frog is just well hydrated or bloated.

Ribbits

Im trying to determine whether the frog is just well hydrated or bloated.

I will try to take another pic when he is not irritated.

Ribbits

one thing I have noticed is that his skin looks a little shinier than normal and fells drier, not like he is aestivating, but kind of tacky feeling. He burrowed half way after the soak so I cant get a good pic of him. Also he went after a nightcrawler, but missed it and was uninterested afterward.

Ribbits

also, I dont think he has taken a poo in a few weeks, but he has not eaten much

Ribbits

here are the answers to the questions you requested griff

10 gallon
    1 inhabitant (pacman frog)
    humidity around 80
    temp is 80-84 day and 77-79 night
    mist 1 to 2 times a day with dechlorinated water no soaking dish, I soak him once a month
    coco fiber substrate
    artificial plants
    night crawlers are the only food I feed him
    calcium dust every 4th feeding or so
    uvb light on for 12 hours a day
    two heat pads taped to the sides of his tank, and a back up over head ceramic element in case it drops below 77
    last ate about 2 weeks ago
    has not pooped in the past 2-3 weeks
    4-5 years old
    owned for 2 years
    captive bred
    just night crawlers one or two thawed pinkies a year
    not handled accept to soak
    medium traffic area
    I spot clean the tank when it needs it and change the substrate 1.5-2 months

Nationality
    [United States]

Why do you need so many heat units at once??? I would buy a new temp gauge and hygrometer. I bet they're wrong.

Also your Pacman is an Albino Cranwelli. Albinos are very sensitive ti certain types of light and radiation. Stop using the UVB immediately. This can burn the frog's skin and cause it to go blind. UVB is unnecessary for frogs.

These animals are nocturnal and should be fed at night. Purchase a Infrared bulb no higher than 50 watts. Incandescent is what you want. Also look for a 5.5" Fluker's clamp lamp with dimmer switch. It will allow you to adjust the amount of heat and light output of the bulb.

Water dishes are not a must, but are a good idea so tha the frog can bath itself if it wants and this can also assist in removing shed skin.

What kind of water do you use for expanding the substrate and soaking the frog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information