Thread: Worried about Fantasy Frog

saranita

Default Worried about Fantasy Frog

I am getting a little worried about my fantasy frog. I have been very busy lately finishing up this semester of college and have been feeding my pacmans crickets, assuming they were being eaten. Apparently my fantasy frog wasn't and I took him out to check on him and found him like this
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354671392.667481.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  68.0 KB
    I know this is completely my fault and I feel terrible. So I fed him 5 butterworms immediately after taking this picture (might seem like a lot but they were pretty small.) this was on Wednesday Nov. 28th. I kept an eye on him and he seemed to fatten up a bit but I was waiting to see signs of poop. Now today I went to feed him again until I noticed he is kind of a balloon.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354671563.224121.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  86.7 KB
    Just a bit larger than he normally is:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354671638.522467.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  84.2 KB
    If anyone has any advice, thoughts or anything, please let me know if this is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ozone17K

Default Re: Worried about Fantasy Frog

Its fine if he does not poop within a week or even two. But if u do get worried just put hin in a tub of warm water tht doesnt go past his mouth. And the "balloon" look is fine. You will know if he has to poo when you can see a poop outline on the side of your frog. But your frog looks fine. you should consider switching to earthworms if the crickets arnt doing the job. Earthworms last longer then crickets, thier better for your frog, and they dont bite your frog.

saranita

Earthworms aren't easy to get for me, my options are butterworms, waxworms, silkworms or crickets, however this frog isn't interested in the crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Don't feed him for a few days. One of two things could be going on.

One he hasn't digested his food yet and is swelling up. Warm him up alittle and soak him a few times a day. This happens with snakes a lot.

Two- This sometimes happens.... kidneys shut down. They retain water and do not make it. There is no known way to fix this problem yet. I bought a group of 50 babies and the swelling occured in a few days and all the frogs were lost within a few days.

Just don't feed it anymore until the bloating goes away. Your case looks like the first option with over feeding and not digesting the food quick enough.
    Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

saranita

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Don't feed him for a few days. One of two things could be going on.

One he hasn't digested his food yet and is swelling up. Warm him up alittle and soak him a few times a day. This happens with snakes a lot.

Two- This sometimes happens.... kidneys shut down. They retain water and do not make it. There is no known way to fix this problem yet. I bought a group of 50 babies and the swelling occured in a few days and all the frogs were lost within a few days.

Just don't feed it anymore until the bloating goes away. Your case looks like the first option with over feeding and not digesting the food quick enough.
    Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2
    I think it's option 1 as well, seeing as he peed on me when I took the balloon picture lol! How long should I wait before feeding him again?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by saranita View Post
    I think it's option 1 as well, seeing as he peed on me when I took the balloon picture lol! How long should I wait before feeding him again?

Hello, Welcome to Frog Forum.

I'd wait about 3 days and check on him. Please answer these questions so I can better assist you.
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

Repost the answers in this thread.

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine did that this summer. She was being cared for by someone else who assumed she was eating roaches put into her tank. For a couple weeks after that she would bloat up every time she ate anything, and I really had to watch her. Try feeding small amounts for the next few weeks after waiting a few days like mikesfrogs suggested. Soak him about an hour or so after he eats for awhile. That might keep the bloating from getting too bad.

saranita

1. Size of enclosure Medium sized, breeder box (isn't full grown yet)
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences just the 1
    3. Humidity don't know exactly but the soil is kept slightly moist
    4. Temperature 74
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish misting and soaking = treated tap water
    6. Materials used for substrate coconut husk
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. just substrate and a water dish
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. washed with vinegar and water and rinsed thoroughly and let air dry
    8. Main food source butterworms and pacman frog food
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) switch between calcium and multivitamin every other feeding
    10. Lighting none
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure nothing
    12. When is the last time he/she ate nov 28th
    13. Have you found poop lately on the 28th
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog not sure
    16. How long have you owned him/her 4 months
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats once a month
    19. How often the frog is handled rarely
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area medium
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) full clean once a month, misted every 2 days and water changed whenever there is a sign of it having been used (any dirt in the water)

Nationality
    [United States]

Your frog's climate is wrong. It needs 80° to 83° during the day and 75° to 79° at night. Humidity must be 70% to 80%. You need a gauge so you know what the ambient air humidity is. You cannot just guess. Both temperature and humidity levels are in the ambient air of the enclosure. Keeping the substrate moist has helped your frog not dehydrate, but you must raise the temps and humidity. This will aid in his digestion and overall health. You need to mist no less than twice daily to help keep air in the enclosure moist.

Buy a UTH(Under Tank Heater) and place it on the side of the enclosure oppisite the side where the water dish is. If needs be cover 3/4 of the screen top or lid with Saran Wrap/ plastic wrap. This will help hold in heat and humidity.

saranita

Sorry the temperature is the one right now, which is night. During the day it is warmer, having a UTH would make it much too hot.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have a thermometer in his tank? If not you need one ASAP. 74 is too low. Their temps should be between 75-80 at night and 80-85 during the day. If the frog is a baby, temps shouldn't get above about 82. Get a heat mat and put it on the side of the tank, or get a red bulb. He needs a supplemental heat source. If you are just judging by the temperature on your home/apartment thermostat, the actual temps in his tank probably drop below 74.
    Also, you NEED a hygrometer (you can by thermometer/hygrometers at most pet stores or online). I can tell you that his humidity is too low. The only way misting every two days could keep an enclosure humid enough is if you live in somewhere neotropical like southern Florida. Immediately start misting his enclosure well at least twice a day.
    This is why he wasn't eating. When conditions aren't ideal, these frogs just sort of shut down and go into a state of seriously slowed metabolism called aestivation. Since he ate recently, he will need heat to digest the food. Get his temps up ASAP.

Cocohusk is a problem as it can cause impaction if the chunks are eaten. Get coco-fiber instead. It also holds moisture better. Finally, if you can get him into a low traffic area that would be good. They can get very stressed out by people moving around. If you can't move him to a low traffic area, it would be good to cover three sides of the tank so he feels more secure.

saranita

I moved them to see if they get warmer where they are, if not I will work on finding a solution to the temperature.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by saranita View Post
    I moved them to see if they get warmer where they are, if not I will work on finding a solution to the temperature.

How hot is your home/apartment? I'd hate to think of the power bill of keeping a place at 80 in Canada lol. One thing... These frogs can't be placed near vents. The air blowing on them, even if it's warm, can kill them. idk if that's where he's at, but the vent is usually the warmest place, so I wanted to bring it up.

Your frog looks like he's kind of in a precarious place right now healthwise. If the issues with his habitat don't change as soon as possible, he could start going downhill quick... Just something to keep in mind.

saranita

I'm keeping him on top of my bearded dragon tank right now where he'll be a bit warmer, the other has been placed next to my ball pythons heating pad. I'm heading to my parents for Christmas in a week and they'll be coming with me where I can keep them warmer and find a more permanent solution for when I come back.

Nationality
    [United States]

lol, that should work. I didn't realize you had other heating equipment around

saranita

Lol ya I have quite a few critters in my tiny apartment I'm surprised it isn't warmer in here! I'm not sure how much of a temperature difference will happen with my green pacman but I know the fantasy will warm up a bit until I can fix the problem

Thread Information