Thread: Shy pacman?

newb14

Question Shy pacman?

Hi i was wondering if it is normal a pacman to eat only at night, or out of sight? He wont eat when im around, and he barely eats at all. The one causitive agent it could be was that the petstore owner might have fed him on a diet consiting of mostly fish and mice(once a week). Another question I have does the food item have to be a certian size for it to strike?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

newb14

Default Re: Shy pacman?

PS. Im trying to feed him crickets, and i havent seen him poop yet he has peed though.

unkempt1

Quote Originally Posted by newb14 View Post
    Hi i was wondering if it is normal a pacman to eat only at night, or out of sight? He wont eat when im around, and he barely eats at all. The one causitive agent it could be was that the petstore owner might have fed him on a diet consiting of mostly fish and mice(once a week). Another question I have does the food item have to be a certian size for it to strike?
    I think your frog's behavior is a combination of factors. It's actually normal for them to only eat at night. They are nocturnal, and you should not disrupt their cycle with daytime feeding. They can also get used to certain types of food, some will say they can get spoiled. But they are still animals; I think after a week or two passes you'll see he won't be as picky.

You say he barely eats at all. How much and how often does he eat? How long have you had him? If its been less than two weeks his lack of appetite is normal.

newb14

well i've had him for about a month and a half. So far he has eaten 2 goldfish and 4-5 crickets. He only ate two goldfish & one cricket from tweezers, the others have been gone "missing" while in his tank. He eats sporadically as ive only recently put food in his tank and left it.

He isnt estivating, the humidity is constantly at 80%, i dont have a thermometer but i have a side mounted heater that raises the temp 5-10 degrees and the room temp is about 70.

The interesting thing is he ate the goldfish instantaneously, I was thinking of trying nightcrawlers what do you think?

unkempt1

Give it a shot - just make sure you get the night crawlers that are dye free (you can get them in the sport section of Walmart). One thing you want to make sure you change immediately is switching to night time feeding. I don't feed mine until about 9PM.

Another concern is that he hasn't pooped in the close to 2 months you've had him. I'd wait for one of the more experienced owners give you some advice. They will prob'ly tell you to soak him in something. I'd recommend posting this question in the pacman forum, not here. It should get more attention. Good luck!

7. This member thanks unkempt1 for this post:

newb14

Thanks, will post in pacman form

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

to the question -it is normal to eat at night? - yes it is normal, they're nocturnal and have to be fed after the lights are off. what size is your frog? and welcome to the forum by the way

as for the rest, there is a questionnaire in a sticky thread in pacman section, would you please answer those Q and open a new thread in there so we can help you better.
    you will need to get temp gun or gauge or something to know exact temps, what you're saying is not reliable in measuring temps and lower then needed temp will cause a frog to slower it's metabolism down and not eat or eat less.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information