Thread: Baby Pacman....I think

DaysiC1

Default Baby Pacman....I think

Hi all, I got a baby pacman from Pangea abot a month ago...all brown and green and too cute! I was away for Thanksgiving and had my BFF take care of them....when I returned I noticed alot of my crickets had died and made a run for more. When I got there they didn't have any and was told that he could eat a pinky. I trust them so I got one for my pacman and one for my dumpy. Pacman ate it right up. So heres the question. Do I continue with the pinkies or can I go back to crickets. I was told that if I give him/her pinkies he/she will grow faster. Also if I go to pinkies how often should he/she eat and how can I get him to croak if its a boy? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Baby Pacman....I think

Most people say only to feed pinkies on a monthly basis, as a treat for a little extra calcium. I have two healthy frogs though that ate nothing but 1 rat pinky a week for the last year atleast so.. it's really up to you. Pinkies are high in fat and I personally would stick to the monthly rule. I haven't fed my frogs pinkies ever, though I will probably get them some as a treat one of these days.

Edit: The best staple diet for pacman frogs is nightcrawlers. Much easier to take care of than crickets, just buy a box/tub of them and keep them in the fridge. Easy as that. Lots of people say Walmart has good worms, I don't shop there so I wouldn't know. Just make sure if you do get some they don't smell funny or have any funky dyes. They should have an earthy smell. Don't get red wigglers either, just Nightcrawlers.

You can't really get your frog to croak on command, mine only do it if it's raining or there is another frog calling (sometimes) or just completely random. They do it when they want to do it.

Pluke

I just wanted to show you this picture, if you look at his thumb on the hand he's sticking out.. there is a brown spot right above the thumb. That's called the nupital pad and only males have these, only sure way to sex them unless of course you hear him calling. Females won't call. The picture is of my blue, he was kind enough to stick his arm out for me when I was taking pictures of him the day I got him, lol.

Name:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 003.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  47.9 KB

james

hi
    I feed mine on locust over here in the uk but i feed mine a pinkie every once and a while so you can feed them pinkies but just not to often its not advised to feed a pac man totally on pinkies also pluke is right you cant make a pac man call you just have to wait.

DaysiC1

Wow...thats all....have to saw have no idea what nightcrawlers are....will have to find out if they sell them at Pangea....and will definitely check it to see if boy or girl...I usually dont handle my frogs I was under the impression that they are very delicate...ok will continue with crickets or get nightcrawlers and only do the pinkies one a month if that....

Pluke

Nightcrawlers and just big earthworms. Bait shops will have them, some gas stations might too. Not sure about florida though. Frogs are delicate but will tolerate a little handling, only time I handle mine is if I'm moving them when I clean their tub. Just to comment on the nupital pad I should have mentioned before, if they are too young they won't have it. One of my males got his after about 2 months. I got him when he was quarter size. Some might take longer to get their pads.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DaysiC1 View Post
    Hi all, I got a baby pacman from Pangea abot a month ago...all brown and green and too cute! I was away for Thanksgiving and had my BFF take care of them....when I returned I noticed alot of my crickets had died and made a run for more. When I got there they didn't have any and was told that he could eat a pinky. I trust them so I got one for my pacman and one for my dumpy. Pacman ate it right up. So heres the question. Do I continue with the pinkies or can I go back to crickets. I was told that if I give him/her pinkies he/she will grow faster. Also if I go to pinkies how often should he/she eat and how can I get him to croak if its a boy? Thanks
    don't know what pangea is , i only know forum
    anyhow - to get facts straight, you have a baby pacman and you gave him pinky? how big is a baby, cos I have hard time imagining actually baby (1-1.5") eating pinky, given he ate it no problem, I'm assuming he is bigger, at least 2.5".

DO NOT feed mice more then once a month, as staple you want to feed nightcrawlers with addition of roaches, crickets, hormworms, pacman food. every other feeding you dust with Ca/d3 mix, once a week multivitamins, but never together.
    Pluke got you covered re sexing.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

DaysiC1

AWESOME and gross....but ok...will do that...Fiancee knows how to grow them...LOL...figures...any idea if any other types of frogs will eat them? THANK YOU!

DaysiC1

BTW - just checked him/her...its the size of a half dollar...any idea by that of the age???

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wow...thats all....have to saw have no idea what nightcrawlers are....will have to find out if they sell them at Pangea....and will definitely check it to see if boy or girl...I usually dont handle my frogs I was under the impression that they are very delicate...ok will continue with crickets or get nightcrawlers and only do the pinkies one a month if that....
    when you need to handle, make sure you wash your hands very well, then rinse them as well very well and then rerinse in treated water or you can wear non powdered disposable gloves.
    Nightcrawlers are a big earthworms, they also are called dew worms and are available in any bait stores, just make sure they're dye free.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

AWESOME and gross....but ok...will do that...Fiancee knows how to grow them...LOL...figures...any idea if any other types of frogs will eat them? THANK YOU!
    what are you talking about?

as for age - the size depends on a lot of things, not just age : amount of food, what type of food s/he eats, how frequent, husbandry and genetics.

DaysiC1

Wow...neat...talking about nightcrawlers...I feed mine 4-5 crickets a day and he scarfs them down....has a small water bowl..spring water only and I got him when he was the size of a quarter about 1-2 months ago. I spray him down once a day and change his bedding about once a week or so. Is that ok?

Nationality
    [Canada]

check the care sheet here on forum and go with that regarding temps and humidity, it may be ok to spray once a day, but may be not, you need to monitor the conditions. for water, use treated tap with water conditioner for frogs or any really would do, currently I'm using Prime, this way it is less expensive and safer too.
    what type of bedding are you using? to change it all once a month and spot clean when needs to be is sufficient.

oh and welcome to the frog forum!

DaysiC1

Cool....and thanks...its a bedding recommended by Pangea here in South Florida. I use it for all my frogs...works great...stays moist and clean. He/She likes to dig in it and wait for food. I love watching it eat. I use spring water for all my frogs and its not very expensive....under a dollar for a gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool....and thanks...its a bedding recommended by Pangea here in South Florida. I use it for all my frogs...works great...stays moist and clean. He/She likes to dig in it and wait for food. I love watching it eat. I use spring water for all my frogs and its not very expensive....under a dollar for a gallon.
    What type of bedding is it though? What is it made out of? It'll say on the package.

Spring water is good for the frogs, but you can also get a bottle of water purifier like what is used for fish and treat your tap water with it and use that (if you use city water; if you have well water you'd be safer sticking with the gallons of spring water). It's like 20 dollars for a big bottle of it, but it can treat hundreds of gallons of water with it, so you come out cheaper in the long run.

Nationality
    [United States]

Everyone has you covered. All Im going to add is get some pics of you frog up when possible. We all lov pics!! Welcome to Frog Forum.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i have suspicion it is moss, if it stays moist and clean, if that so- it is bad, if ingested it will cause impaction eventually. and also I'm VERY suspicious for pet store recommendations. what is good for one type of frog may be very bad for pacman.

and yeah, we LOVE pictures!

Thread Information