Thread: Wild Caught WTF's help

Charlotte Benedict

Unhappy Wild Caught WTF's help

Hey guys. About 2 months ago I purchased two adult female white's from a website I thought was a good place called backwater reptiles. I was doing a little digging now and I realize my frogs were wild caught. I feel terrible, I should have done more research before buying them. When they arrived I noticed scarring on their face, completely healed and faint so I didn't think anything of it. They are eating like little beasts and seem healthy, every now and then they are blotchy and brown but usually they are a healthy green. They are very tame, the little one Kirby actually enjoying sitting on my hand! She adjusts herself and puts her hands under her chin (so cute!) Pip tolerates it but would rather be somewhere else.

I have a couple pics of them and their tank, a 18x18x24 inch Exo terra.

The tank has a 25 watt day light for heat and a normal hood lamp with simple LEDs. The substrate is coco fiber with "Frog moss" brand sphagnum moss. Temp is usually 75-80 during the day and 68 at night, humidity is kept at about 50% with a "fogger" kept at a low setting.

Do my tank stats look ok? And the pictures of the frogs? I am a first time frog owner and I made a mistake in purchasing, which I will never do again, but I don't want to do any wrong by my frogs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!Name:  -1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  100.1 KBName:  -2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  103.8 KBName:  -3.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  128.5 KBName:  -4.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  130.9 KBName:  -5.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  158.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Wild Caught WTF's help

Hi Charlotte,
    I don't keep Whites...there are so many FF member that do and will post regarding their routines, etc.. I'm sure you have read care sheets.

I just want to comment on your feelings regarding them being "wild caught" . Most places will clearly differentiate the difference. If the company does NOT clearly post the fact that they are wild caught, and you did not ask , well.............you can express your disappointment. It is the responsibility of the person purchasing the frog to ask this question directly, however. If they were to tell you they are CB , and then it is determined not to be the case; that's a different story. I would , personally deal with that in a very different way !!!!!

They are beautiful ! They are yours NOW ! All you can do is to, continue ,to take the best care of them as possible.

We have something in common. I do not take an animal from the wild. I can understand how you feel.
    If you have a second read my "favorite quote" in my profile.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

steampunk

Your new friends look great!

Your setup looks great, and I don't see any probs apart from maybe raising the humidity up to about 60%. But that just might be me, as the top of Australia (where they are found) has high humidity all year round. If they aren't suffering and they don't look dry, and have access to water then you should be sweet.

Mine are similar to yours, Gadget loves to chill on my finger and doesn't mind being handle whereas gizmo is always trying to escape when it's feeding time!

Charlotte Benedict

Thank you guys for responding! Lynn, I really liked your quote. I made a careless mistake, but I am going to try and make their life with me as nice as I can. Scott, your Gadget sounds like my Kirby! Dynamic froggy duos are awesome, I love comparing their personalities. I will try and get the humidity up, and since I have my suspicions about them being wild-caught I'm going to take them to get a check-up at an exotic vet.

I only have one real concern right now. One of mine, Pip, is insistent on sleeping on the ground. During the day while she is on the ground she is a mottled brown and green, but at night when she is active she turns her usual vibrant green. Should I be concerned? She is still eating like a little beast and is acting healthy other than the sleeping on the ground. Kirby is fine, usually perched up high in her favorite spot.

I really appreciate all of your help on this! Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Charlotte,
    You're welcome.

Ask the vet to do a fecal for you?
    (On the frog that is sleeping in the ground)
    If it should be positive--- then--- they will both need to be treated anyway, since they have been together.

It's an easy, inexpensive treatment.
    Then you'll be done with it........hopefully, as those darn crickets can carry parasites
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

HerpDerp

Charlotte, I would do away with the moss completely, unless you are feeding in a separate container or you tong feed your frogs. If they accidentally ingest the moss it could cause impaction. I just use coco fiber as my substrate. Are any of those plants real? If not I would recommend some real plants in there. They are more natural and help with humidity. Your setup looks awesome though! And I agree with Scott, the humidity should be around 60-70%, but 50% isn't that bad either. Since they are wild caught it's definitely a good idea to have a vet look at them and do a fecal sample. Wild caught specimens tend to have parasites from their diet in the wild.

Your frogs are super cute by the way! Good luck and I'm sure they'll adjust fantastically.

i would agree about the humidity as well. and i wouldn't worry about your little fella sleeping on the ground. my guys sleep on branches, on rocks, the ground, in the water feature, wherever they feel comfortable. and i still believe that they use the brown/green coloring as camouflage. here's an example: the fella on the bottom is Technoboy, see how nice and green he is?

same frog, he decided he wanted to sleep in my water feature, notice his color and the color of his surroundings:

hope that helps remember, it's their home, you just maintain it and i also agree with Michelle, live plants make a dramatic difference in both their "contentment" and helps with humidity.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Charlotte Benedict

Thank you guys! I am feeding in a separate container so I wanted to keep the moss just because it has gotten my humidity up since I added it on top of my coco fiber. None of the plants in my setup are real because I didn't think the benefits would be worth the maintenance, but I have been doing some research on easy terrarium plants and especially after your comment I will get some.

As for the vet and fecal exam, how urgent do you think it is? I called the exotic vet clinic for pricing, and it will cost $75 per frog for fecal and check up and everything, not even counting the medicine if they have parasites. I don't have the money for this now... I would have to put aside some money and save for a couple of weeks. Michelle, I saw on a different thread you commented about a honey soak? How would that work? Have you done it on your frogs and has it worked, not for treatment for parasites of course but just to perk them up a bit? And are there other things like that to tide my frogs over while I get the money together?

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. I am such a newbie, but I want to do it right and I really appreciate everyone's help.

Charlotte Benedict

oh wow thanks Bill! Your frogs look so happy, and you're right about the changing color. I will continue to watch mine, just because sometimes it can be a sign of illness, but if she keeps acting healthy and happy I'm just going to call her my contrary-tree frog who thinks she belongs on the ground. Thanks!

By the way, your set up from what I can see looks amazing! Your frogs look so happy and healthy.

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Benedict View Post
    Thank you guys! I am feeding in a separate container so I wanted to keep the moss just because it has gotten my humidity up since I added it on top of my coco fiber. None of the plants in my setup are real because I didn't think the benefits would be worth the maintenance, but I have been doing some research on easy terrarium plants and especially after your comment I will get some.

As for the vet and fecal exam, how urgent do you think it is? I called the exotic vet clinic for pricing, and it will cost $75 per frog for fecal and check up and everything, not even counting the medicine if they have parasites. I don't have the money for this now... I would have to put aside some money and save for a couple of weeks. Michelle, I saw on a different thread you commented about a honey soak? How would that work? Have you done it on your frogs and has it worked, not for treatment for parasites of course but just to perk them up a bit? And are there other things like that to tide my frogs over while I get the money together?

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. I am such a newbie, but I want to do it right and I really appreciate everyone's help.
    Honestly, live plants are almost 0 hassle. I just planted mine and water them every couple days and that's about it. If you get plants that grow quickly you may have to trim them back once in a while, but that's about it. My frogs prefer the real plants in my tank to the fake ones. Glurmo loves to sit on the snake plant and Lrrr sleeps inside the dracaena.

The fecal exam is better done sooner rather than later. Parasites can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. Here is a link to an exotic vet that has been recommended many times on this forum:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html
    Although I'm not sure of his pricing? It's worth a look though!

I have done a honey soak on both of my frogs when I first got them. Sometimes when frogs enter new surroundings they get stressed and wont eat and get lethargic. Putting a couple drops of honey in some warm water and letting your frogs soak for 15 minutes or so can help perk them up a bit. Honey also has anti fungal qualities and, in my experience, can help with impaction.

This forum is awesome for getting friendly and helpful advice. Anything you need to know, someone will be able to tell you!

steampunk

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    Honestly, live plants are almost 0 hassle.
    I totally agree, they help the humidity, they look great and they are preferred over my fake ones by my frogs.

I have spaghnum moss on the bottom over coco fiber too. It's great for keeping the humidity up. ( I feed in a separate container, just to be clear ;-))

Gizmo stays a constant peppermint green whereas gadgets colour varies greatly from peppermint green to a dark olive green depending in where he is and the temperature in that part of the tank.

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by steampunk View Post
    Gizmo stays a constant peppermint green whereas gadgets colour varies greatly from peppermint green to a dark olive green depending in where he is and the temperature in that part of the tank.
    That's too funny because Glurmo stays a dark olive/purple/gray color all the time and Lrrr changes from bright green to olive depending on surroundings and temp/humidity. Glurmo is such a strange one lol.

Charlotte Benedict

Last night I gave Pip, the one who has been concerning me, a honey bath and this morning she was a much healthier green color and sitting on one of my plants closer to the ground! I am going to give her and Kirby another honey bath tonight. Still not climbing quite as much as a tree frog should... but I emailed Dr. Frye about them and he said he could do a fecal for a much more reasonably priced than my local exotic vet, so I am going to do that soon.

Since they were wild-caught and I feel terrible, I am going to do everything I can to get them healthy and keep them happy. In the meantime thanks for everyone's advice, especially the honey bath recommendation! It worked wonders

HerpDerp

I'm glad that seemed to help! Keep us updated on your frogs

Charlotte Benedict

Hey everyone, just wanted to update you on my frogs. I just changed their terrarium, turning it into a naturalistic vivarium. They seem to like it, hiding in the pods and not spending any time on the ground. Thanks to Lynn I discovered my frogs are not wild caught! Although I am curious as to how they got all the scars on their face... anyway, after a couple honey baths, some changes to their environment, and lots of vitamin dusted crickets, my frogs seem very content. Thanks for everyone's help!

Name:  -5.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  172.7 KB

steampunk

That's fantastic news on them being captive bred.

From the pic your frogs look really happy :-) and that's a really nice photo of them (maybe enter it into photo of the month ;-))

Glad to hear them settling in.

18. This member thanks steampunk for this post:

Thread Information