Thread: guys, where do you usually buy frogs?

Benjamin Z

Default guys, where do you usually buy frogs?

Guys, I live in Eugene,OR. I already have a pacman frog and really want to get one more giant africa bull frog. but, I ask lots of local pet stores, they told me they only have white tree forgs right now. That's too bad! SO, I am wondering where you guys usually get africa bull frog?
    Tks, I am really hurry,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lixra

Default Re: guys, where do you usually buy frogs?

Your best bet for getting any reptile or amphibian is through a breeder, instead of a shop. Shops in my opinion are very overpriced, and most "captive bred" animals are either captive farmed or wild caught. With a breeder you usually get someone who's in the hobby because they're passionate about it, and not out to just make a profit (I'm not saying this is the case with all breeders or all shops, as there are some really good shops out there, as well as dodgy breeders).

Are there any reptile shows (breeder expos) going on in your area? This is kind of a bad time year as far as shows, as most are done by now, but there are the odd late one (we've got one tomorrow in the UK, and I believe that's the last one this year). The other thing you can do is get information from your local herpetological society.

From Reptilechannel.com:

Oregon Herpetological Society
    The OHS objectives are: Education- to help members and guests learn more about amphibians and reptiles and to try to make this information available to the general public; Conservation - to promote the survival of native populations by discouraging wasteful collection of animals and habitat destruction; Communication - to help members learn about publications, laws, activities, and problems; Recreation - to facilitate safe and enjoyable meetings, exhibits, and field trips for all who respectfully attend these events.
    Meeting Date/Time/Place: Third Thursday of each month/6:30-8 p.m./The Science Factory in Eugene, Oregon.
    Contact Info: oregon_herpetological@yahoo.com; P.O. Box 70414, Eugene, OR 97401-0122
    Oregon Herpetological Society | Facebook

Try contacting them, and see if they can recommend a good breeder for what you're after

Thread Information