Thread: Suggestions anyone?

lilliemoon5ilver

Default Suggestions anyone?

Hey everyone. I have been considering getting a pacman frog and I'm just curious what people think about a few things. I like the look of the albino pacmans (pacmen?) but I have heard that they are harder to take care of. Is this a bad idea for a newbie frog owner? Should I get an adult or a baby? What are pros and cons to each? Other than local pet stores, where can I order one and how much should I expect to pay?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Suggestions anyone?

Personally I think Pacmans are one of the best frogs for newbie frog owners. Only difference between regular pacman and albino is that you can't have bright lights around the albino because it can be detrimental to their eyes. You don't really need lights for them at all as long as you have another way to heat them like a Under Tank Heater which you would stick to the side of the tank so that the frog doesn't burrow down and sit on it and hurt himself. You need to make sure you have a good calcium D3 supplement as well as a multivitamin too.

You can find baby pacmans anywhere from $15-$40+ depending on the Morph. I personally would start with a baby so you get the full experience, there really is no pro/cons between adults/babies accept babies eat less. If you were to order them online you'd pay a $40 shipping cost, too. I would look at mom and pop pet stores or goto a reptile show. I know there is atleast one in PA, the hamburg show.

Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The only difference between Albinos and Normal Pacman Frogs is lighting requirements if you choose to use lighting. Care is otherwise the same. As Pluke has already stated. He pretty much has you covered.

Any indepth questions feel free to ask.

Nationality
    [Canada]

welcome to the frog forum! glad you're doing your research first!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for doing your research before buying; that's one less 'my frog is dying' post.

Hm... The only thing I'd caution you about is that if you buy from a store like Petsmart or Petco, you run the risk of getting one that's unhealthy if you don't know what to look for. Usually it's nothing too bad, but it is something to watch out for. If you can get one from a breeder or go to a reptile show in your area, that's a great idea. More to choose from that way too!

Pluke

I just wanted to add to what DV said. When you do go looking for a frog, make sure you feel it's sides for unusual feeling lumps. You can normally tell just by looking at a frog if something is off, big protruding bumps on the frogs side could be a sign of impaction. Also look at the frogs mouth, if it's bottom lip is hanging at ALL avoid it. I saw a guy trying to sell a pacman with MBD at the last reptile show I went to for $80!! Worst thing is, he knew it had MBD when I told him.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I agree, you better get a frog from a breeder, Mike or Ivory for instance, both here on forum, this way you for sure get healthy frog, who is also tong trained, and you can choose which one, out of many, you want.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

First off, welcome to the forum! As you can see there are many knowledgable people here, owners and breeders alike. It's a great place for friends fun and advice. Not everyone's advice is the same but in general there is consistency which should help you make good decisions when caring for your new baby (or sub adult should you choose) pacman.

As far as buying a baby or an adult, I would personally recommend a baby. They can die easier however, simply because they're younger and more fragile, as well as run an easier risk for impaction. Because of this, keeping them on damp paper towels or Eco earth is a good choice until the frog has established a good size (around a plum) then you can consider sphagnum moss as a substrate. I tend to go the safe route with babies and choose these because the have the lease risk of impaction, I also like to remove the babies when i feed them if they're kept on Eco earth so as to help ensure no substrate consumption occurs. There is an incredible bond formed raising a baby Pacman and watching it grow up before your eyes from the size of a quarter to bigger than your fist.

Like others have stated, albinos should be kept away from UVB lights. You could use a UTH(under the tank heater) but I tend not to recommend them because they can make smaller enclosures too hot. Many of them don't come with a temp setting control system either.) Instead I prefer a Ceramic Hear Emitter, they can be left on constantly as long as you have a ceramic fitted socket for te bulb to insert into, it ensure no overheating / surges. These also generally have a life span of 2-5 years and most of the time come with a 1yr warranty. (another plus)
    Also you are able to choose the wattage you would like in order to obtain the temperature you would like, in accordance with the size enclosure you're keeping your frog
    (small, 5g as a baby or even 2.5, depending on the size of the frog. Too much room and he/she may feel scared/ stressed, as well as if you decide to feed inside the enclosure, they will have trouble catching their food in too large a cage)
    As an adult 10g is the minimum size you should have. 15g of your frog is on the larger size 5.5in or more, or of its one that tends to move around more. A 20g long is the max size I would recommend for a PAC frog. Any more probably wouldn't be used, and would likely only add stress.

As far as where to get them from? Well as a few have stated Mike from Mikesphatfrogs is a great choice. And you can even read a recent post that attests to his quality service on a Cornuta & peppermint delivery.

Hope you enjoy whichever frogger you choose and if you have any questions you're more than welcome to ask!

QUOTE=lilliemoon5ilver;147902]Hey everyone. I have been considering getting a pacman frog and I'm just curious what people think about a few things. I like the look of the albino pacmans (pacmen?) but I have heard that they are harder to take care of. Is this a bad idea for a newbie frog owner? Should I get an adult or a baby? What are pros and cons to each? Other than local pet stores, where can I order one and how much should I expect to pay?[/QUOTE]

james

yes horned frog are great for beginner baby's are better to start of with.

Thread Information