Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: very skinny fbt needs some weight

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: very skinny fbt needs some weight

Quote Originally Posted by lizarddude View Post
    i dont have any walmarts near me. its not okay to just dig them up right? is there any foods that might fatten him up some? he doesnt look that good
    I'd avoid using wild earthworms unless you are 100% sure they were not exposed to pesticides, which most wild caught worms are.

Bait shops are pretty common, you shouldn't have much issue finding night crawlers. I've seen them sold at gas stations, just make sure to open them first and inspect the worms. The hummus they're kept in should be moist and make sure there's no dead worms (which stink terrible, so you'll know..).
    Last edited by mpmistr; November 29th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lizarddude

ok i will try to pick some up. i hope he makes it. he is only around 2 or 3 years old

lizarddude

so he is eating alot guys. i am getting concerned though. his stomach is very big in comparision to his body and he is not pooping. where his legs meet there seems to be a lump of some sort. i am starting to worry he somehow found a way to swallow a small rock or something. what should i do? ive heard mineral oil helps along the digestion cycle. should i try to use that? here are pictures. Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  97.3 KBName:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  56.0 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

so he is eating alot guys. i am getting concerned though. his stomach is very big in comparision to his body and he is not pooping. where his legs meet there seems to be a lump of some sort. i am starting to worry he somehow found a way to swallow a small rock or something. what should i do? ive heard mineral oil helps along the digestion cycle. should i try to use that? here are pictures. Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  97.3 KBName:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  56.0 KB
    Try soaking him in a luke warm bath about 78° to 80°F with 4 drops of honey dissolved in the water. Make it no deeper than half his height or up to his chin. Try this first. He may need to soak for 20 minutes. As the water cools prepare a second bath the same temp as mentioned before of just plain de-chlorinated water and soak him until the water cools. After the water cools down return him to his enclosure. You may have to perform these baths for a couple days. Don't feed him if you suspect its an impaction. It will make it worse.

Murray of the Deep

He is constipated! hurry up and do your best to treat it my pacman frog was too late to be cured and he soon died and also avoid using wax worms it contains chitin while googling about them and also it has lots of fat. hope you do your best to cure him just follow grif's advice i also have a toad my self and he was eating mealworms and he pooped their skeleton out and now im feeding them wild grasshopper and seem to do good. follow grif's advice

lizarddude

So i did the honey thing and he pooped about a week ago. He as unfortunately reverted back to not eating much and becoming very skinny. He doesn't move around much and is very weak when on land. Is there any advice you guys can give to get him to eat or maybe assist feeding? Thanks guys

Murray of the Deep

My toad would just go up to a basking area at night and wont move either but it would rush to its food and jump back to water. Balance his food dont give him those worms give him nightcrawlers or crickets(pinhead), i usually feed my toad grasshopper nymphs by cutting of the grasshopper's "jumping" legs so that toad can easily catch it.And also does he have a water area?Can i have a picture of your setup??so that i could help you. If you suspect something serious is really wrong rush him to a vet.And also im pretty sure that something is wrong because you said its weak and doesnt eat.... Same thing happened to my pacman frog who died of this. Rush him to a vet before he dies like my pacman frog.

lizarddude

Theres a picture of his setup on the firsy page

Murray of the Deep

Theres a picture of his setup on the firsy page
    That land part(with soil) was it treated with fertilizer or -cides???and also the water should be deep like 3-4 inches like my fire belly toad they spend 75% of their time in water.

lizarddude

Its coco fiber. Theres also spaghum moss ontop

lizarddude

any help guys? i have no money for the vet, and tiems are tight. is there anything else i can do? or do i have to just wait it out?

Murray of the Deep

you have to send it to a vet really!!or you will end up dying like my pacman frog.you could wait till it eats.Also is he pooping well|?

lizarddude

He poops when he eats. Im not completely sure if he is eating or not. I wish i was able to take him, but i have no extra money to bring him

Murray of the Deep

ok ill tell you try this first tell me what happened ok?
    1.place your toad on a land area
    2.take a piece of nightcrawler or mealworm(just for now dont make as staple)
    3. place it infront of him maybe an inch away and observe the frog
    4.if he runs out of the land place him back and do the procedure again.
    hope it helps this is how i got my fire belly to eat

lizarddude

Ive done this with a cricket and he doesnt react at all. Kinda just sits there and then leaves after a while

Murray of the Deep

Ive done this with a cricket and he doesnt react at all. Kinda just sits there and then leaves after a while
    samething as my fire belly it wont eat crickets for its too big for them try giving him a piece of mealworm or nightcrawler/earthworms.

lizarddude

I will try earthworms tommorow i guess. The might crawlers at my petstore are huge, as big around as his head

Nationality
    [United States]

Default very skinny fbt needs some weight

I would get some plain unflavored pedialyte. Do a 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts dechlorinated luke warm water soak for 20 minutes to give him some nutrients. You can also get reptaboost and prepare it as a soak. If using reptaboost, do a regular dechlorinated water brief soak after the reptaboost soak to remove any residue.

It seems as though your frog may have a parasite stealing vital nutrients from him. If this is the case, he can only be cured with medication.

Try contacting Dr.Frye. He will do a fecal exam for you and will prescribe the medication you need without the cost of a vet bill. He helped me to rescue 5 sick frogs.

You don't have much time. His loss of weight and the stress from the illness will take over soon. He is weak.

Continue to feed him daily. If he is having trouble catching his food, break off one of the large legs off of the cricket so it moves a little slower. Calcium/vita D powder every other day.

How often do you do water changes?

Take everything out of his house and wash it out with warm water. Use paper towels as substrate and change them everyday. Most down the tank at least 2 times a day with Luke warm dechlorinated water. Provide a water dish with fresh luke warm dechlorinated water and change the water daily. Keep a good weighted lid on the tank.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

lizarddude

Where can i get pedialyte and reptaboost?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default very skinny fbt needs some weight

Here is Dr. Frye's web site:

http://milanareaanimalhospital.com/about.html

Here is a link from here:

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...g-prepared.htm

He will want some decent photos of the frog. Have a couple ready to email.

...keep us posted
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information