Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bubble/swelling on front leg

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: bubble/swelling on front leg

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Now I have two cornuta and a peppermint on the way tomorrow.. ;-)

to say I'm jealous would be understatement :lol:
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Hey, does the official care sheet posted on here need to be updated? It says 80-85 is acceptable for daytime temps. Just asking, because this is the second time in a few days that I've read people saying 85 is dangerously high.

Huh, air-filled sounds kind of strange. Could that be edema under the skin? Like, just excess retained fluid? Seems like a cyst or infection would feel more obviously fluid or have more resistance than that. Pictures would help. Of course, if you're worried and you have easy access to a herp vet go ahead and try to get him there.
    It needs to be cleaified. 80° to 85° for adults and subadults. 80° to 82° for babies and juvies. They can handle temps as high as 87°, but the lower to mid 80°s are ideal.

EDIT; For CB Pacs of course.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    with as much certainty as i can have over the monitor screen i think it is an abscess ( infection), location is pretty typical as well the fact of appearing over night, it needs surgical attention, take it to the vet asap. and please keep us updated.

Someone has been doing their homework and some extra credit

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Someone has been doing their homework and some extra credit
    :lol:
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Burra

Well, back from the vet. He thinks it is an infection, BUT is concerned that it might also be starting on this other leg. It's hard to tell for sure, their legs are so chubby, but if it is, then it may instead be liver failure. We are doing an antibiotic for 1 week and if there is no change he wants to do a work up to check his organ function. Until them he wants him on paper towels and as clean as possible as eco earth holds bacteria.

Here is the one thing I'm kind of confused on. The vet said that even though he is an albino, he absolutely needs some UVB light to process his calcium. He said just a few hours of a full spectrum light daily. Everything I see says different, that the UVB light will burn him. Any comments from long term albino keepers?

So $78 dollars later I have to wait a week and see. Oh, and try to medicate a frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    Well, back from the vet. He thinks it is an infection, BUT is concerned that it might also be starting on this other leg. It's hard to tell for sure, their legs are so chubby, but if it is, then it may instead be liver failure. We are doing an antibiotic for 1 week and if there is no change he wants to do a work up to check his organ function. Until them he wants him on paper towels and as clean as possible as eco earth holds bacteria.

Here is the one thing I'm kind of confused on. The vet said that even though he is an albino, he absolutely needs some UVB light to process his calcium. He said just a few hours of a full spectrum light daily. Everything I see says different, that the UVB light will burn him. Any comments from long term albino keepers?

So $78 dollars later I have to wait a week and see. Oh, and try to medicate a frog.
    UVB can blind them and burn their skin. Use a calcium supplement that contains Vitamin D3. This replaces the need for UVB lighting since UVB radiation is used to produce Vitamin D3 naturally in the body. It is unnecessary and dangerous for Albinos.

When your frog Urinates is there mucus in its urine?

Liver cancer is a possibility. They will get fluid blisters and also will begin to bloat when the liver begins to shut down. There is no know treatment for Liver Cancer in amphibians.

Lets hope it is just an infection. I lost one recently to Liver Cancer.

Burra

Thanks Grif! I have been using Calcium with D3, no UVB. Everything I read, including the care sheet here, says the same. The vet said he needs a small amount of UVB or he can't metabolize the calcium, even with the D3. I know this is true for bearded dragons, not albino pacmans.

I haven't noticed mucus in the urine, but he always jumps in his water bowl to go. I'll keep an eye on it. Really hoping it's an infection. Sorry about your recent loss, they are chubby little family members!

Nationality
    [Canada]

that is part of keeping pets, you have to pay vet bills, I'm glad you took him in, my highest vet bill for exotic animal was over 300$ for hamster and similar for a frog (that is with huge employee discount). To medicate a frog is not that difficult by the way especially when they're tong trained.
    what you were told to do sounds like a very good plan, remember to change paper towels every day
    Last edited by Lija; November 26th, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: can not type :)

Burra

Yeah, I'm just hit with sticker shock at the exotic vet because the vet I work at doesn't see exotics, so no discount! I'm used to free exams and meds at cost! LOL! It's all good, I would never let an animal suffer.

I gave him his first dose, not very hard. He is young, I've only had him 3 weeks, and I've been trying to tong train him but he's not cooperating. He won't eat if I'm anywhere near his enclosure.

At least he's still eating fine and pooping. When that stops you know there's a problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's just an infection.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, I'm just hit with sticker shock at the exotic vet because the vet I work at doesn't see exotics, so no discount! I'm used to free exams and meds at cost! LOL! It's all good, I would never let an animal suffer.
    i respect you for that! wish there are more people who think this way and care for their pets!

P.S. I'm pretty sure when I paid 300+ for a hamster people thought I'm crazy, he had heart problems and was in critical condition when we took him in, so he spent a night in a oxigen cage + all meds, UV + overnight care, BUT he lived for 3 more month after that. a friend of mine recently spent over 5000$ for spine surgery on her dog and now got news that she is looking into spending another 5000+ for chemotherapy and another surgery. You do what you gotta do, that is responsibility you are taking getting an pet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i respect you for that! wish there are more people who think this way and care for their pets!

P.S. I'm pretty sure when I paid 300+ for a hamster people thought I'm crazy, he had heart problems and was in critical condition when we took him in, so he spent a night in a oxigen cage + all meds, UV + overnight care, BUT he lived for 3 more month after that. a friend of mine recently spent over 5000$ for spine surgery on her dog and now got news that she is looking into spending another 5000+ for chemotherapy and another surgery. You do what you gotta do, that is responsibility you are taking getting an pet.
    I couldn't have said it better myself

Nationality
    [United States]

Hopefully it'll just be an infection. I've had other animals die of liver failure; pretty gross way to go.

The problem with exotics a lot of times is that the animals are so tiny and fragile to begin with, compared to dogs or cats anyway. Half the time you're paying for something that has a good chance of getting your pet well again. The other half the time you could be paying hundreds of dollars for something that has a small chance of working and might only add a few weeks of highly medicated life for the animal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Hopefully it'll just be an infection. I've had other animals die of liver failure; pretty gross way to go.

The problem with exotics a lot of times is that the animals are so tiny and fragile to begin with, compared to dogs or cats anyway. Half the time you're paying for something that has a good chance of getting your pet well again. The other half the time you could be paying hundreds of dollars for something that has a small chance of working and might only add a few weeks of highly medicated life for the animal.
    When I was younger one of our cats decided to try and eat a wasp it found in the house, and it stung its throat. $600 later it passed
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Burra

Yes, unfortunately sometimes the money we spend seems to be for nothing, but at least it gave us peace of mind that we tried and we did the right thing. I got a rescue Weimaraner 2 years ago and he immediately tore his achilles tendon. Major surgery at U of Penn, got the screw taken out and immediately tore his CCL. Like, before he even left Penn! I stopped counting at 10000, and keep in mind even at U of Penn I got a small, courtesy discount for being a tech! In his case, it turned out fine. He is worth every penny, as my frog will be if he pulls through.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hopefully this won't be for nothing. If it's just an infection he'll probably be just fine.

I'd be more willing to pay crazy amounts of money to give a dog or cat a few more months than a reptile... Mainly just because you can improve their quality of life just by giving them more time and attention and make being sick more bearable. You know, like they're getting something out of it too. With reptiles, I worry that it's just keeping them around feeling horrible for my sake more than theirs since extra attention and giving meds just stresses them. Of course, I'll spend as much money as I need to if it's going to give them extra quality time, but not just for extra sick time if that makes any sense?

Burra

He is still eating and pooping normally. No mucus in the urine. He even shed yesterday. Yet there is no change in the swelling. No worse,no better. I know amphibians and reptiles generally take longer to heal than our furry friends, but I hate not knowing exactly what this is I do feel it's a good sign that everything else is normal though.

Going back to Petco this weekend to see if that Fantasy is still there! If he is, he'll be coming home with me! Can't have an empty tank offered to me and not fill it!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Going back to Petco this weekend to see if that Fantasy is still there! If he is, he'll be coming home with me! Can't have an empty tank offered to me and not fill it!

Congratulations! you are on stage 1 of frog addiction

i hope your other guy is going to be fine soon, you are AHT, right? then you know that the only way to surely treat abscess is to open it up, I would do cytology first to figure out the cause, then open the thing and treat accordingly, your vet decided to try more conservative approach first which is smart given that frogs are very fragile are you going back to him after you done with your meds?

Burra

Yes, actually, the vet said to call in a week if there is no improvement. If there is, the antibiotics are for 2-3 weeks. I just had a job interview today at that office (it is much closer to home for me) and he said to check back with him about my frog at the beginning of next week.

Has anyone here ever used Reptaid for their frogs? It's an all natural, holistic remedy for infections and intestinal parasites. You put a drop or 2 in water and soak them for 20 minutes a day. I have it for my bearded dragons as I was using it for my rescue. I'm wondering if a soak or two would help, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has used it succesfully with a frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, actually, the vet said to call in a week if there is no improvement. If there is, the antibiotics are for 2-3 weeks. I just had a job interview today at that office (it is much closer to home for me) and he said to check back with him about my frog at the beginning of next week.

Has anyone here ever used Reptaid for their frogs? It's an all natural, holistic remedy for infections and intestinal parasites. You put a drop or 2 in water and soak them for 20 minutes a day. I have it for my bearded dragons as I was using it for my rescue. I'm wondering if a soak or two would help, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has used it succesfully with a frog.
    I would do some research on the product. Not all reptile products are safe for amphibians. Especially meds like that.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think i was looking at that one a bit ago.... it is alcohol based isn't it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information