Thread: Hello and happy holidays

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hello and happy holidays

Hello all,

I have been A herp lover for many years and a aquarium keeper for over 30.
    Just recently I have rescued a Bull frog that I found living in a upside down christmas tree stand.
    That was almost frozen over.
    The poor thing was very cold and thin.
    So I got a 20 gallon long aquarium put in a divider 60% 40% water 4inches deep.
    bought a zoomed repti-fogger , under tank heater and RT-10 controller.
    A repto filter for the water portion.

The poor thing is so timid and prefers to hide during the day and is very active at night.

Today I plan on getting some window tint to act as a one way mirror so it can't see out.
    Maybe that will calm it some since it is so scared of anyone waking past the tank.
    I have the temp set at 78F and the RH at 70% and the water temp at 76F.

I have been feeding store bought crickets since it is too cold to catch wild.

I would like to vary its diet with meal worms but I have been told not to leave them in the enclosure
    in the case of any that don't get eaten by the frog they will pupate into carnivorous beetles.
    So I just keep a dozen or so baby crickets in there with a small dish of cricket quench and food.

I hope I am off to a good start for this poor little sole.
    My plan is to make a small water feature for it to live out doors in the late spring.
    Then I would love to get a larger enclosure and keep a few whites tree frogs.

I am open to any suggestions.
    Caio.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum and happy holidays to you too .

You are doing a great job! Very kind of you to bring him in.

Your temps and humidity are fine.

Being you have had aquariums, same principles apply...dechlorinate his water and water changes, cycling of the water side of the tank, etc.

He will likely be very shy and afraid for a week or two. It takes them a bit to adjust to their new surroundings and to having people watch them.

The covering is a perfect idea. We recommend covering the back and 2 sides of the tank to help him feel safe. You can cover the front too if you'd like. Try adding an amphibian or reptile cave and some plants to hide in. You can even tip a planting pot sideways. be sure whatever you use has smooth edges...they are powerful jumpers. They love to hide in plants. they can be real or fake. You can use aquarium plants and/or terrestrial plants. I'm sure he'd love both . Be sure to rinse all fertilizers off/out. My Bully loves to duck and hide in his water plants. He will, however, probably beat up the plants a bit. It makes them happy though.

Be sure your land area doesn't have rocks small enough to accidentally ingest while diving at his food. They are aggressive eaters and will watch their food contently and then dart at it quickly. I feed mine from the top of his water cave.

What type of flooring or substrate have you used for your land area? Good recommendations are coco fiber (not husk) or plain plantation soil.

Foods can include: crickets, earthworms, night crawlers, roaches. Avoid mealworms bc the chitin in their segments causes constipation which often leads to intestinal impaction. Be sure the worms do not have any dyes or scents added to them. Cut them to the proper size. Their foods should be no larger than the distance between their eyes for crickets and roaches. Worms can be slightly larger.

How big is he? How long from nose (snout) to rectum (vent)?

If he is young/small he should be offered food daily. What he does not eat by morning should be removed from the tank until the next feeding time. Crickets can bite and the roaches will burrow and 'disappear'.

You can also try the feeding bowl method. To do this, use a slippery glass or ceramic bowl and dig a hole in the substrate to push it down into so it's at ground level or so there is just a lip above. Put the feeders into the bowl. He will learn where they are.

Supplements...all amphibians need nutritional supplements or the will become sick or will develop Metabolic Bone Disease. You will need an amphibian or reptile calcium with vitamin D3 powder and an amphibian or reptile multivitamin powder. Lightly dust the feeders (insects/worms) every other day with calcium/vita D3 and one day a week with the multivitamin (MVI), but not both of them on the same day.

You can use the shake-and-bake dusting method...use a baggie and place a pinch of the supplement into it. Place the feeders in the baggie and gently shake. Only a fine coating is needed and recommended. A coffee cup also works well.

Ah yes, and be sure to have a weighted lid or get some aquarium lid clamps. They are stronger than they look and can leap 3 to 6 feet .

Hope this helps .

P.S. I love my bullfrog. Once he starts to relax and settle in he'll be fun to watch. They can be quite energetic and their swimming abilities are awesome. Mine dives off of his waterfall and does 360 degree turns in the water. He's an awesome hunter, and he loves to play peek-a-boo between his water plants. I've had mine a couple months now, and he comes to the front of the glass to watch us now .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Ooh, I forgot to tell you that I also feed mine guppies.

Some people may not like this method though bc they do not like to see the fish disappear. They do not eat them voraciously, just one gulp, so it's not too bad.

The guppies breed in my water area. He only eats adults. Mine is a large adult male bullfrog. Though the offspring will grow and provide 'free' food. I generally have about 20 babies in there at a time. I sometimes move the babies to my 10 gallon growing tank if they breed too quickly. By allowing them to breed yourself you know your fish are healthy.

I do buy the pretty versions of the adult guppies bc they look pretty in the tank. He seems to like the yellow best, I'm presuming bc they are easiest to see against the blue tank bottom. He always eats the red last. It may be on the basis of sight, as mine is an albino.

Avoid goldfish, they are dirty fish and often carry parasites.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello and happy holidays

Thank you for the welcome.

Well he is about 2 inches snout to vent.
    at the moment the substrate is smooth gravel, I tried eco-earth coconut but that gets stuck
    to him/her especially when the poor thing comes out of the water.

I have had it in the enclosure for a few weeks now and it doesn't mind being handled, will stay
    in my palm with out holding.
    Every two days I check its abdomen to make sure it is feeding and there are no problems.

I have a 2 gallon that I can keep feeder crickets.

Name:  kermit.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  104.2 KBName:  Kermits tank.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  82.1 KB
    I just finished putting the window film on the three walls of the tank and turned off the
    lights in the room and looked from top inside of the tank to the room and I can just see my hand
    if I have it within 3 inches of the tank.
    So I think that will do the trick. If not I can add another layer of film.

Nationality
    [United States]

My only recommendation to add would be to place larger rocks over the small rocks...big enough that he can't get them into his mouth. Or repticarpet would work too. I use large flat rocks on my land size.

She's adorable, by the way !!! You have yourself a cute female.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am sure I saw the repti carpet at petsmart.
    I will also look for the vitamin supplement powders you mentioned.

I will aso go to a dollar store and look for a 3 inch deep 4-5inch diameter
    white ceramic dish like the kind used for french onion soup.
    And bury it up to the lip and use that for feeding.

I will take some more pictures of the changes tomorrow.
    Caio

Nationality
    [Australia]

he looks very healthy, welcome to Frog Forum
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

Nationality
    [United States]

Any luck?

Thread Information