Thread: Update on Blaise......still hiding thru the night and still not eating!!!

BlaiseDaFrog

Default Update on Blaise......still hiding thru the night and still not eating!!!

Well, after a couple honey baths and dish feeding attempts, still no eating! He just either sleeps the night in the feeding bowl with the cricket or he climbs out and goes back to his night time favorite hide spot. We've got his sides covered now and have shut the light off at night. Hopefully soon he adapts and eats. He's now got a couple loose crickets in there from before we tried dish feeding as well as tonight we tried to feed him one from long tweezers and it escaped. They chirp at night and we thought maybe it would help to entice him to hunt but no go! Fingers crossed he eats soon. Going to see if we can get him in the morning for another honey bath. We've had him a week tomorrow and he hasn't eaten in a week and two days (since his arrival at the pet store)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Update on Blaise......still hiding thru the night and still not eating!!!

How does he look physically? Seriously ill or starving frogs have this emaciated, withered look about them that is hard to miss. If he looks fine, continue what you're doing - maintaining the day/night cycle, making food available, monitoring temps/humidity and leaving it alone. If you have loose crickets in the cage, it may be a good idea to provide them with scraps of food in the tank lest they take a bite out of your frog. Did you try again with the tweezer feeding after the first one escaped?

I can't say how long he'll be okay in this state, but my recommendation is, to at least begin the search and preparation for a qualified vet now. Make some calls and ask questions, get names, locations and driving directions; just so that if the frog takes a turn for the worse, you don't have to scramble.

Last thing I'm going to throw out there is something called metronidazole. It was recommended to me by a knowledgeable breeder and I've had some degree of success treating my own frogs with it. In a nutshell, it's an antibiotic that treats bacterial infections and microorganism imbalances in certain animals, including dogs and cats. A possible, but unproven, side of effect is enhanced appetite. It is available in liquid and powder form without a prescription. I am in no way lobbying for you to try it - for one thing, the concentration and dosage vary depending on the animal; but it may be something to bring up with your vet. More information can be found here:

Metronidazole for Veterinary Use
    Protozoan Parasites Treatment :Metronidazole (Flagyl)

I got mine (concentration is 5mg/mL) from one Dr. Stephen Frye, a veterinarian out of Michigan.
    He can be contacted via email: dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com or phone: 734-439-2273
    He can't (and shouldn't) professionally diagnose anything over the internet, but he can provide very general advice and recommend certain first aid medications, including metronidazole.

BlaiseDaFrog

Default Re: Update on Blaise......still hiding thru the night and still not eating!!!

Hi Brian, thanks. He does still look healthy. I can see hes lost some weight compared to when we got him but his colour and skin are still looking healthy. Im sure he's just acclimating but still worried of course. That vet you mention cant send to Canada so I would have to find one here like him. Will see how the next few days go and determine what to do! Will post updates and hopefully soon post that he ate! oh we have tried the tweezers on several occasions and last night he still had no interest.

Thread Information