Thread: Couple questions.

Wicked frogs

Default Couple questions.

Morning Frog lovers

Well morning for me anyway i stayed up last night and did some intense research on all my frogs and with my bullfrog B.L i could not find out some info i really wanted to know.

Around what month/year does there middle stripe completely fade away?

With having 2 other male frogs a half a foot away from each other in my room at night they be singing, Packie is OBV his call is like loud cherps which is awesome not like Big Moe my dwarf ABF his are low pretty loud and long. My question is do you think i will be able to hear the difference in calls between my bullfrogs?

Last thing is that i recently learned that you have to change soil every month or something like that i wanted to know in a vivarium with my darts my viv is layered with with coco wood chips on top moss under then soil and hydro balls. How long should the soil be good till i have to change it?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Couple questions.

for giants it depends on the frog im guessing...my male is only 3 months old and almost 4 inchs and lost its middle stripe already..i think its just different from one frog to another

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You'll be able to tell the difference between each individual male frog species. With hydroballs forming a drainage layer the substrate can last about a month and a half without needing changed.

Wicked frogs

Habeeb i have had my frog a little over 3 months and he is the same size his side strips are just about worn off and his middle strip is visable but starting to fade a little hmm im wondering now lol have you herd your little guy call yet?

Wicked frogs

That's crazy griff i know you were talking about changing the soil with frogs burrowing in the soil but you have to change every month even when the frogs never touch the soil? if that makes sense. I am pretty sure the soil has never been changed b4 but damn this is going to be a HUGE project in the viv i just did my other 3 frogs now on to the biggie haha

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    That's crazy griff i know you were talking about changing the soil with frogs burrowing in the soil but you have to change every month even when the frogs never touch the soil? if that makes sense. I am pretty sure the soil has never been changed b4 but damn this is going to be a HUGE project in the viv i just did my other 3 frogs now on to the biggie haha
    Vivariums are a little different. You establish cleaners in there like Isopods that eat fungi, mold, and decomposing plant and animal matter, but with a Pacman you would be better keeping him in a basic setup with some live plants and changing the substrate every month, but a Pyxi may fair better in a Viv. Pacs create to much waste for plants and Isopods to clean up causing the soil to foul anyway and the frog will tox out. A Pyxi may not create as much of a mess.

Keep in mind that bacteria and fungi will grow even in an untouched and undisturbed area. The frog doesn't have to touch it for this to occur. Vivariums are supposed to be almost entirely self sustaining with minimal need for cleaning. Perhaps ask around in the Vivarium section of the forum and see what ideas others can offer.

Soil condition is critical for burrowing species of frog so where the Urinate also will the burrow and sleep. If the ammonia from their urine cannot be broken down fast enough the frog will tox out and bacteria will also thrive in the soil.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Wicked frogs

thanks griff i was talking about my dart frogs viv about cleaning it, i would not put my pac or abf in a viv they are fine in there 20 gallon's.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks griff i was talking about my dart frogs viv about cleaning it, i would not put my pac or abf in a viv they are fine in there 20 gallon's.
    Lol! I was confused for a little bit there. Well i guess you're questions were answered and then some.

EDIT; also if you establish Isopods like Springtails in the Viv, not only do they act as cleaners, but they also are a constant food source for your Darts.

Habeeb i have had my frog a little over 3 months and he is the same size his side strips are just about worn off and his middle strip is visable but starting to fade a little hmm im wondering now lol have you herd your little guy call yet?
    yea i think its just different with frogs...mine called very very early....it was only like 2 1/2 inches when i heard it...he still calls from time to time..its slowly getting lower as the days come lol but mine has faded all 3 stripes already..with time urs will as well

Wicked frogs

It's so funny cause i was doing research and people said they start to call around four inches and i was getting worry. I stayed up late last night i noticed that Lui was rather jumpy kinda all over the place cause i changed his soil and put a background on his tank and by the way i sleep with a loud fan almost every night so me and my girl was watching a movie and my girl goes OMG tim look and there he was on the soil he spit out a long cherp then a little one i was sooo happy.

That's crazy that yours started around 2 1/2 inches well Happy Thanksgiving

Tim
    Wicked Frogs

yea ive heard ppl say they heard theirs call at very very early ages like mine and some say theirs didnt call till almost 4 inchs as well but congrats on hearing the call he might of called b4 but u might of just been ZZZZZZ away lol

Wicked frogs

most likely i sleep with a fan that sounds like a jet engine

Thread Information