Thread: I need help...Sick Frog

Default I need help...Sick Frog

My WTF barley moves, keeps his head down, and has stopped eating. I Used to could get him to call by making noises, but now he won't even do it while the others are calling. Humidity stays in the 70s, temperature is close to the 80s, crickets are always calcium coated, and they get lighting during the day and darkness at night...

Name:  frog 036.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  136.9 KBName:  frog 037.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  53.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HerpDerp

Default Re: I need help...Sick Frog

You should complete the "trouble in the enclosure" sticky so we can get a better idea of what's going on in the enclosure. When is the last time he pooped? My first guess would be that he is impacted. Is that sphagnum moss in there? That can be ingested and will cause an impaction what could cause these symptoms. I suggest you separate him from the others in a quarantine tank. Do simple substrate such as paper towels so you can monitor if he's pooped. And to try to push things along you can try a warm water and honey soak. Luke warm water in covered container with a few drops of Honey, and let him soak for 15 minutes or so. Make sure the water isn't over his head, of course. I would do this every day until he poops. If it isn't impaction it could be parasites. I would suggest taking him to a vet if it isn't impaction. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    You should complete the "trouble in the enclosure" sticky so we can get a better idea of what's going on in the enclosure. When is the last time he pooped? My first guess would be that he is impacted. Is that sphagnum moss in there? That can be ingested and will cause an impaction what could cause these symptoms. I suggest you separate him from the others in a quarantine tank. Do simple substrate such as paper towels so you can monitor if he's pooped. And to try to push things along you can try a warm water and honey soak. Luke warm water in covered container with a few drops of Honey, and let him soak for 15 minutes or so. Make sure the water isn't over his head, of course. I would do this every day until he poops. If it isn't impaction it could be parasites. I would suggest taking him to a vet if it isn't impaction. I hope this helps.
    Thank you for the info. I have been trying to soak him for the past couple days. I was just curious, do you or anyone else feed their frogs other vitamins along with calcium. I am begining to think it is a vitamin issue.

HerpDerp

I dust with a multi vitamin about once a week. I really think it is an impaction though (slightly educated guess). The moss you have in there is like a ticking time bomb. Frogs cannot digest it properly and it can cause a pretty bad blockage, and he looks a little bloated in the first picture. Even if it isn't an impaction I highly recommend either tong feeding or feeding outside of the enclosure to prevent your frogs from ingesting the moss. I hope this is helpful!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry your frog is having problems. When was the last time you saw it eat anything? There appears to be green spots covering the frog's back in the first picture. That could be sign of stress and/or infection. I agree with Michelle, you should consider taking it to a vet. Impaction can be prevented by feeding from a bowl, outside the tank, or by hand with tongs.

Thread Information