Thread: Brought home a blue one

Tropicok

Default Brought home a blue one

The trip to Tulsa today was interesting and I came home from the herp show with a D. auratus, an orchid, fruit flies and crickets. They had tons of turtles, many that I had seen only in books. I really wanted a giant tree frog but decided $150 was too much so I bought a dart froglet. The albino redeye tree frogs were darling. We'll see how it goes. I just know I'm gonna hate the fruit flies. Pics soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Brought home a blue one

Fruit flies aren't so bad. Now by giant treefrog, do you mean Litoria infrafrenata or Phyllomedusa bicolor.

Tropicok

Sorry, Kurt, that was a vague description but I was tired after a long, happy day. The tree frog was a waxy-monkey or Phyllomedusa bicolor. The $5 orchid was a dendro which should get smallish yellow blooms. My D. auratus has survived the night. The four of us had 2 snow geckos, a crested gecko and the dart frog in a styrofoam container with small heat packs on the 2-hr. drive home including a late lunch break. Weather outside was 30 degrees.

Tropicok

Actually, the frog is green and black. I don't know why I said blue except it looks sort of turquoise to me.

Tropicok

Default Re: Brought home a blue/green & black one

This little dart froglet is driving me nuts. One minute he is in bottom corner of tank and "blink" he managed a hop to a leaf completely opposite. I'm terrified he will get out and I need to stop checking on him 10 times a day. They are so quick. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

Kurt

My dart never freaks me out like that. He/she could never escape from his enclosure. The fruit flies can't even escape!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Dendrobates auratus are group frogs and most races are somewhat nervous. I would provide significant amounts of cover for the frog and hope for the best.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Tropicok

Did I see the word "never" in your post? Oh oh, you have jinxed yourself now. I have a fern and a short piece of pothos plus a piece of spaghum. I took out the coconut hut. I plan on buying at least two more D. auratus from the same dealer to make a group. You are right in that the small tank is not very secure (a cover problem) but will be getting a better setup soon. This forum has been such a good source of info. Thanks to all.

Kurt

You're welcome. My dart frog tank is heavily planted, some my little guy never goes into panic mode.

Thread Information