Thread: Got a behavior question.

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Got a behavior question.

I know that Pacman frogs burrow in captivity and in the wild. But in the wild, and in captivity if allowed to do so, do Pacman frogs actually construct simple burrows if the soil is firm enough? Or do they just kinda partially or entirely bury themselves in the wild as they do in captivity? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should renovate Peggy's setup to accommodate actual burrow construction or something, ya know?
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Got a behavior question.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Frog Whisperer View Post
    I know that Pacman frogs burrow in captivity and in the wild. But in the wild, and in captivity if allowed to do so, do Pacman frogs actually construct simple burrows if the soil is firm enough? Or do they just kinda partially or entirely bury themselves in the wild as they do in captivity? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should renovate Peggy's setup to accommodate actual burrow construction or something, ya know?
    They will make use of log hides and plant cover to burrow under. They dont always construct a perminant burrow but do have their favorite spots to burrow and stay there for extended periods of time. They will even make use of a burrow that you made with your hand or at least mine will. You don't want them to have soil that is too deep or they will burrow down to the bottom and yoill have to dig them up regularly for feeding.

Now they dont burrow completely when they utilize their ambush strategy. Usually the head or eyes are exposed so they can get the drop on unaware prey. You dont have to construct perminant burrows or caves. Usually when the burrow becomes dirty from them urinating and pooping in it they will leave the old burrow and dig a new one. Placeing hides in the enclosure will allow the frog to choose cover if it wants to, but is not necessary.

EDIT; They only completely burrow to either aestivate, hide from predators, or thermoregulate. If provided deep enough soil they will completely cover themselves. Its a good idea to provide enough so that they can cover themselves completely, but not so deep that you can't find the frog.

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, Grif. I figure that, seeing as Peggy's soil is already pretty deep, she can just bury herself if she wants. It seems that she comes back up on her own if she's hungry or something.
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Nationality
    [United States]

I like to make loose mounds of coco-fiber in the corners. Trevor always goes straight to them. Gives them a place to go under an inch or two if they want, but easier to uncover them for feeding than having really deep bedding over the entire tank (it's deep enough for her to cover up everywhere in the tank, but she seems to enjoy the deeper areas sometimes).

Thread Information