Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More new additions

Kurt

Default More new additions

I just got back from the Manchester show a little while ago. Man, was that show crowded! It was like rush hour on the T, only with reptiles & amphibians being sold.
    I got there around 8:30 to help set up, but my group had it all done by the time I got there. So I wondered around and made my first two purchases, a pair of red-spotted treefrogs, Hypsiboas punctatus & a pair of clown treefrogs, Dendropsophus leucophyllatus. A little while later I bought a pair of Ghana fire frog, Phrynomantis microps, a close relative to the frogs I bought the other day. See pics below.
    I was seriously tempted by some barking treefrogs, Hyla gratiosa, that were singing from within there dehli cups and by some lowland mantellas, Mantella laevigata. Other cool stuff that tempted me were some Phyllobates vittatus, some captive bred Trachycephalus resinifictrix, by some Neurergus kaiseri. The N. kaiseri were $100 the cheapest I have ever seen. Still too rich for my blood and apparently for everyone else as well, as they were still there at the end of the day. They were gorgeous though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

justin shockey

Default Re: More new additions

glad to here you building up the family

Kurt

Just one problem, it turns out upon closer inspection that I did not buy Hypsiboas punctatus, rather I bought Sphaenorhynchus lacteus, the greater hatchet-faced treefrog. I thought when I first saw them that maybe their spots and stripes had faded because they were asleep. I did not wake them up till I got home. They are beautiful, so I guess I can live with it. Boy, can they jump! I feel a little embarrassed that I mistook them for Hypsiboas punctatus. Of course the vendor said that's what they were.
    The other frogs have been postively identified.

justin shockey

i think you still got a pretty cool frog

Kurt

Thanks. Last night before going to bed I checked in on them and the bigger of the two was sleeping on the bottom of the water bowl, which is filled with water. Weird. This morining he was sleeping on cage floor.

justin shockey

send me up dates on the new one and your old one and do you have any salamanders if so send me pics I'm looking in to getting a tiger what do you think

RikoAustria

Nice new additions! Congrats!

Kurt

Thanks.

Kurt

I do have salamanders, two Tylototriton shanjing, one Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum, & one A. mavortium. Sorry, I have no pics of them. Tigers are very cool. They have more personality than any other amphibian!

justin shockey

thanks i think i will get one

envy!!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by t53 View Post
    envy!!
    Why? I don't have anything that you can't get (as far as I know). Its not like you're in Australia, where you can't keep any non-native animals. Of course Australians have some really awesome native frogs to keep. Frogs like Litoria chloris and L. gracilenta, I think I might kill to have those in my collection.

justin shockey

no the tiger salamander

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    no the tiger salamander
    I knew what you meant.

justin shockey

ok man

Kurt

Some sad news to report. One of the greater hatchet-faced frogs has died. Two days ago he turned yellow and his throat was puffed out, he looked like he had been calling, but I heard nothing. Last night I decided to take a closer look at him, because when my red-eye died recently he was all puffed out. What I did see upon my examination was a sore on its back that looked like a patch of skin was missing. His nose was a bit roughed up. This morning he was on his back all stretched out and quite dead. I haven't a clue what killed him. Could it be the same kind of infection that took the red-eye? If so, I am not too worried about the other one, as its seems not to be contagious.

I have been desperately looking for information on this species and was coming up with very little. Mostly what I was finding was picture of them in the wild. But last night I did find something. This is what I found - "A few treefrogs are especially picky eaters. The greater hatchet-faced treefrog, for instance, is a small, green frog that usually only eats ants." This might explain why they haven't eaten any of the bean weevils that I gave them. I am going to try fruit flies with the surviving frog, its my only option. Had I had known this information when making my purchase, I wouldn't have bought them. I would've most like bought a trio of barking treefrogs instead. Of course the vendor had left me with the impression that I had purchased Hypsiboas punctatus. Instead I got Sphaenorhynchus lacteus.

justin shockey

that sucks so bad but i think you can find some ants if you relly try

Kurt

Going to try something else first.

justin shockey

ok
    dude

Bigassfrog

You might try some powdered vitamins with whatever you try to feed it next. I wouldn't recommend more than twice a week however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information