Thread: water filter suggestions

bclaytonphoto

Default water filter suggestions

I am interested in setting up a spare 20gal long tank for FBT's..From what I've been reading, FBT's like still water..

What would these be a good filtration choice?

Reptile Terrarium Pumps and Filters: TetraFauna Decorative ReptoFilter

or

Amazon.com: Tetra Fauna Viquarium: Pet Supplies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: water filter suggestions

I have not used the viquarium, but the Tetrofauna reptofilter is awesome! They do take up quite a bit of space though so I'm not sure you will be left with a lot of room in a 20L tank. Still worth a try IMO because I love my Reptofilter

FrogFriend

I have the TetraFauna decorative filter that you have listed first. I do like it. It is quite big and takes up a large portion of my tank but my FBTs seem to like it. Here are my pros and cons about it:

Pros:
    It makes a wonderful babbling brook sound that is nice to listen to, especially when the toads are barking as well, feels like your in the jungle.
    It has a variety of sized ledges that the toads can rest on or they can crawl up to the top of it.
    It keeps water moving so their is no stagnation smell or smell of their toxins building up as long as you keep up with the care.
    2 Filters are better than 1!
    My FBTs like hanging out near where the water cascades down- it's like a little mini massage for them.

Cons:
    I don't know what it is made of but in the back of the waterfall I can see the (paint?) disolving away and I worry about how that affects my toads.
    I get algae growing on it and it's VERY hard to clean off, most of the time I try to get just the surface stuff off and call it a day, inside their are nooks that you can't reach to clean.
    It gets slippery and I watch as my toads try to climb to the top and they keep slipping/can't get the grasp and fall back-fortunately never hurt!
    In order for it to work properly it has to have a minimum water level which is approximately 4 in and the max 6 in. I was not prepared for that much water to go into the tank and had to do a make shift flotation because they couldn't touch the ground. I now have a turtle dock and a large fake plant and some large rocks for them to perch on.
    The filter refill packs come 3 to a case- I know this is petty, but it's frustrating when you need 2 and you only have 1 extra in your pack- so you always have to buy 2 boxes and at about $9 a pop, you spend a lot on filters.
    As mentioned previously- it does take up a lot of room so it limits you in space that is left.

I like the look of the other one with the little water bridge, etc. Also, if you have the larger tank then there are some of the waterfall filters that also contain an entire landscaping which seems nice, but I don't know how it would be in real life using it. Anyway, that's my opinion and experience. Hope it helps!

preludecurtis

Exo Terra makes a great fully submerge-able filter. The F150, F250, and F350. The F150 being only mechanical filtration and the higher models being 3 stage. Put's out just enough current to keep tank flow. You can get the F250 for around $15 on amazon. Hope this helped!

Rodney Tilman

I have a Tetrofauna reptofilter in a 45gal tank with 3 FBT and they more around a lot. I am setting up a 20 gal long tank now for newts now and was thinking about the same filter in there in you want me to put the filter in the 20 long and see how much space in left I will do it for you.

Ben0918

I'm not sure the name of this filter but I know exo terra and zoo-med have filters for like firebelly toads. Basically for low levels of water. And as far as the still water they like, I made a waterfall in mine and they absolutely loved it.

Thread Information