Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help....Impaction

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Need some help....Impaction

My little ornate has an impaction. His left side is bigger than his right and there are two distinguishable hard spots that I can palpate.

Please Help.

Heading to the store for pedialite right now. I dont know what to do other than a warm soak with Pedialite.
    Thanks
    DW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Need some help....Impaction

How warm is your water for the warm bath?

Nationality
    [United States]

Just got back, didnt make it yet was hoping there was a reply when I got returned home.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Soaking in the second warm bath. Passed a little fecal matter, the lump has moved to the right side as you can see
    Last edited by DeeDub; November 15th, 2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: lump didnt move. just turns out there are three.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

BTW, this is Rhino. Hope s/he makes it. You can see the two lumps on the left side. Big one on the right side. Three in all. All of them are pretty firm.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

You can also try a warm soaks with a couple drops of honey in it

Nationality
    [United States]

Bump...no change this morning. He's soaking in His water dish.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Deedub you need to make a bath of luke warm de-chlorinated water with 4 drops of honey dissolved in the water. Make sure the bath is no deeper than up to his chin. Pour some of the water over his back and onto his vent. When the water cools have another warm bath ready that is the same depth, but only dechlorinated water no honey in this bath. Soak again until the water cools. Gently massage the right side where the bulge is in small circles from the shoulder where it begins and move back to his hip. Do this until he goes.

This can take a couple days, but most will go right after the baths. When the second bath is cool make sure you put warm de-chlorinated water in his water dish and place him back into his home in the water dish and leave him be.

Keep me posted.

Pluke

Grif is always my go to guy with impactions concerns, it's always just a huge turd though, haha. I just wanted to add that the Lukewarm water temperate that I use is roughly 85-90 degrees. I do that temp with honey and my frogs will usually go, if they don't go during the first bath, they'll almost ALWAYS go during the second non-honey soak. This is a very good technique and it WORKS.

Good luck I hope your frog passes that log, I'm sure it's just a big poop she's been holding. I've seen some MASSIVE pacman poops.

Nationality
    [United States]

LOL, I have never been so excited to see something ****. She ate a big dubia from tongs. Thats when I noticed the lumps on the left side. The big one on the right is probably the roach.

How many times per day should I soak?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by DeeDub; November 15th, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: LOL it edited the word c r a p to ****
    Thanks
    DW

Pluke

The bump on it's left side is food. Especially if it ate a big dubia you'll definitely feel a lump on the left side. It's right side is poop. I'd just do the honey soak once every other day, you could probably do it every day but I wouldn't, that's just me. You can do a normal lukewarm water soak every day. Once the frog poops though you don't have to worry about soaking.

I give my frogs a normal non-honey lukewarm water soak every 2 weeks if I don't see them poop, just because I have one frog that only poops if I give him a bath. He always goes too.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, off to bathe her in honey....lol
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Just got done with the first soak. She passed a little bit of turd, but not really worth mentioning. She is trying though. I think she will pass it with this second soak. I just put the warm water in her dish and put her back in her cage. Ill repeat tonight.
    Thanks
    DW

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Just got done with the first soak. She passed a little bit of turd, but not really worth mentioning. She is trying though. I think she will pass it with this second soak. I just put the warm water in her dish and put her back in her cage. Ill repeat tonight.
    Best of luck!
    Don't forget to try the massage technique that Grif posted. I've done something similar before, and within a minute or so my frog was passing something massive.

Maharg

I asked how warm the water was because from experience I have found this critical. I went into further detail in another post, I will try to link it later but data on my phone is running low.
    Somewhat briefly, I believe frogs naturally regulate their bowels in nature by hopping into warm puddles since obviously nobody is there to do it for them. small puddles they would jump into in nature (small cause they could drown in large bodies of water) move in temperature almost exactly on time with the air temperature. As we all know water equalizes to the same temperature as air. Warm tropical days are easily 90+ degrees and so is the water. I spent two weeks in Costa Rica last year and every day was above 100. A 95 degree bath isn't dangerous and it's not even all that much warmer than a swimming pool. Bare in mind most tanks are kept at 80 to 85 degrees during the day anyway.
    With my frogs a "lukewarm" 85 degree bath has proved pointless. I make the water quite warm and they always poop almost instantly. They can easily hop out if they choose, but they always end up staying in for hours. Til the water drops back down to normal tank temperature.
    Don't be afraid to make a 95 degree bath. It's always proved successful for me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks. I started Luke warm and pretty shallow. I slowly added warmer water (100ish) until the waterline was mid body. I'm gu shy with hot water and frogs. When I was a kid I was cleaning a water dish and stuck a little grass frog in the sink where the water was running. Where it was just warm when I felt it, taking the frog from its 75-80 degree water straight into the warmer water shocked his system so bad that he died a few minutes later (I know, the water was chlorinated, shouldn't put the frog in the sink...etc, gimme a break, I was 10 or 11)
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    I asked how warm the water was because from experience I have found this critical. I went into further detail in another post, I will try to link it later but data on my phone is running low.
    Somewhat briefly, I believe frogs naturally regulate their bowels in nature by hopping into warm puddles since obviously nobody is there to do it for them. small puddles they would jump into in nature (small cause they could drown in large bodies of water) move in temperature almost exactly on time with the air temperature. As we all know water equalizes to the same temperature as air. Warm tropical days are easily 90+ degrees and so is the water. I spent two weeks in Costa Rica last year and every day was above 100. A 95 degree bath isn't dangerous and it's not even all that much warmer than a swimming pool. Bare in mind most tanks are kept at 80 to 85 degrees during the day anyway.
    With my frogs a "lukewarm" 85 degree bath has proved pointless. I make the water quite warm and they always poop almost instantly. They can easily hop out if they choose, but they always end up staying in for hours. Til the water drops back down to normal tank temperature.
    Don't be afraid to make a 95 degree bath. It's always proved successful for me.
    Recommended temp is 78° to 80° and yes a sudden rise in their body temp is very bad for them. Their body doesnt work
    instantly in the wild and puddle temp is most likely near 80° not 100° or even 90°. A gradule temp change is what is best which is partially the reason for two soaks involved in the first place. Do not expose the frog to those high water temps. What would posses you to place the frog in 100° water? Are you trying to cause it to go into shock? Water is ressistant to heat and natural water sources even in the sun seldom reach high temps such as 85° to 90 otherwise they would be near useless for animals to cool off in.

Luke warm or tepid water is only around 75° to 78°. It should feel warm to the touch and cool slightly. Use better judgement before you harm the frog. They never seek high temps like that so wouldnt be exposed to any water source that is that warm.

Maharg

Temperature is measured in the shade. Also, if you are keeping your tank at 80 to 85 as most do, replacing the water with 78 degree water is giving them a relatively cold bath.

Also, frogs dig to cool off. Water for hydration and performing bowel movements.

Maharg

I dont want to go into a heated debate here again but ill also add that a frog living in a 85 degree tank placed in 90 degree or even 95 degree water is only small deferential. Its a couple degrees celcius. Its nothing. In fact, any time you place a frog in a water dish without specifically measuring the temp first you are probably subjecting it to a 10 degree change in farrenheit anyway. Thats why we canadians use celcius lol. Farrenheit seems so much more drastic than it really is.

Edit: And just to clarify, I in no way condone reckless frog care. My decisions are based on sound logic. I've put this logic into practice before many many times with no I'll effects. And as I said I can guarantee frogs encounter water temperatures in excess of 90 degrees on a daily basis in the wild. It's the nature of the tropics. I've been in Thailand where the temperature has been at high as 117 degrees. It happens. If a frog is uncomfortable, it will jump out. That being said, I obviously don't recommend warm baths nearly that high. But 90 is safe.

Herpguy

Unless your frog somehow swallowed a large chunk of gravel, whatever it is WILL pass. These frogs have amazing digestive systems. Even small gravel can pass easily, though it's still not good. I wouldn't worry at all as long as the frog is at the proper temperature and has access to water.
    As far as the bulge, if you look at frog anatomy you will see that the stomach is on the righ.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 15th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information