Thread: Calcium deficiency

Maharg

Default Calcium deficiency

So upon further research of by new pixie, ive come to the conclusion that he is slightly stunted. I knew this was a distinct possibility when I purchased him from a generic pet store (Petland equivalent of USA Petco)
    I know this can hopefully be reversed. Correct? But ive also noticed barely visible odontoids which is a sign of low calcium. Can this also be reversed? How many times should I calcium dust per week? The frog is about 8 months old, 5.5 inches and has eaten lots since I got him. About 15 crawlers per night and a mouse since I got him last week. And a batch of 25 calcium dusted crix. How high in calcium are nightcrawlers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Calcium deficiency

Graham I would just keep up what you're doing, too much too fast Ca is not good either, it sounds like he has quite an appetite, so he'll start growing fast, I'd alternate Ca powder with multivitamins. by the way I almost got green cranwelli yesterday from another petland, he was sitting on completely dry substrate, may be 2" in size max and he is over 1 year old I thought he was a baby at first actually, he is feeding on 2 crickets every day and has MBD most likely (constant slightly open mouth), I was so sorry for the guy and itching to get him home and help, but I have 2 very problematic frogs right now, but still... I talked to their manager, hopefully they'll make changes, doesn't mean i can get it off my mind....

does anyone has experience with treating MBD cases and/or extreme growth stunt, what was the outcome and what would be prognosis for the little dude that I mentioned? i know it is AGBF section but same principles should apply. sorry for hijacking your thread Graham.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Maharg

Its so sad at Petland is so terrible at caring for their frogs. It should be illegal to carry an animal in a pet store if you dont know how to care for it. Thats the problem when you get massive corporations that become strictly in it for money. They hire any young kid or anybody looking for a job like they would at Macdonalds. Not bashing Macdonalds employees it just sucks that 99.999% of petland employees dont have any specialized skills with the pets that they often end up caring for for years. An animal sent to a petland is like being sent to a 3rd world prison for anything in the reptile section.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Post Re: Calcium deficiency

found this comparison chart
    Fat Calcium Phosphorus Protein
    Silk worms 43 0.5 0.6 54
    Wax worms 73 0.1 0.9 27
    Butter worms 73 high 0.9 27
    Crickets 44 0.2 2.6 50

Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    found this comparison chart
    Fat Calcium Phosphorus Protain

Silk worms 43 0.5 0.6 54

Meal worms 60 0.1 1.2 37
    Wax worms 73 0.1 0.9 27
    Butter worms 73 high 0.9 27
    Crickets 44 0.2 2.6 50

Awesome. Thanks!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Here is another that shows the calcium/phosphorous content of nightcrawlers- http://www.house-of-reptiles.com/fee...ertebrates.pdf
    Here is another- http://moonvalleyreptiles.com/files/...eders-v1.0.pdf

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija,

MBD can be stopped, but any damage cannot really be reversed. However the bones are is pretty much how they will remain. You can get the bones to not be brittle and the hardening does reset them slightly, but most of the time if is too bad it cannot be corrected.

A drooping lower jaw is a sure sign of MBD setting in. That can be reversed, but stunted growth in a frog nearly 1 year if age will not grow much more. A two year old frog may not grow at all and remain the size you purchase it at, but you can still bring it back to good health if you are diligent. For a Pacman that is.

Graham,

A Pyxi especially a male may still have alot more growth left in him if you correct the MBD and any vitamin deficiency that it may have. This also is determined by age though.

Maharg

Thank you for the input everyone

Thread Information