Thread: Humidity Difficulties

Sir Mitchel

Default Humidity Difficulties

Hello all,

I'm preparing a 24 X 24 X 18" Exo Terra terrarium for a pair of D. Auratus (I have not yet purchased the frogs). I'm having a hard time raising the humidity to the necessary 80%+. At the moment, the highest I can get the humidity is 70% (I should note that I do not have trouble maintaining 70% consistently).

I have the top sealed off (silicone) with glass. I am using ABG as my substrate, topped off with a layer of sphagnum moss and a scattered layer of leaf-litter. Below the ABG layer is a layer of Hydroton. The terrarium is planted (moderate plant density since they have not had time to grow too much). I do not have a water feature or water dish, but some of the larger litter leaves maintain small pools of water. I hand mist the tank 2-3 times per day. Increasing misting frequency does not seem to have much of an effect on the humidity levels.

I would appreciate any help that could be provided to gain that last 10-15% of humidity. It seems I have tried all of the obvious tricks to raise it, as well as techniques I have found in various forum threads.

Thanks,
    Mitch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Humidity Difficulties

hey Mitch. I have never dealt with D. auratus but I am assuming they are some sort of dendrobate. (i am into enormous frogs) I have shared a humidity experience with exo terra because there is a black plastic strip along the bottom of the doors that is use for ventilation. I sealed that up and the humidity was raised quickly. I do have concerns though... Frogs need ventilation so to keep everything sealed can cause bacteria problems. to keep the humidity up would require some sort of frog fogger, waterfall, or automatic mister. I have had success with foggers keeping the humidity constant. If you need more assistance you should try looking on dendroboard.com to see what they have come up with.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Humidity Difficulties

Hey Mitch,

Pictures speak 1000 words. If you could take some pictures of the whole tank and the lid.. i may be able to help you some.

On my tanks i have about a 90% glass / vent for my lids and never have a problem with humidity.

Where in your house is the tank?
    A possibility could be that a vent or fan is blowing house air into the tank and sucking out the humidity.

Generally, 90% glass lid.. + heavy misting twice a day should do it. You may consider adding a little water to the drainage layer to help maintain.

But like i said, pictures speak 1000 words

-Kevin
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

Thread Information