Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cricket bite + quite lethargic

tryme

Default cricket bite + quite lethargic

Hi guys,

getting a bit concerned about my pacman frog. he has got a little nip off a cricket which must of been hiding in his enclosure and nawed him a little over night. the wound doesnt look too bad but does look a little sore. is there anything i can do for that?

more importantly he is seeming a bit lethargic lately. he seems off his food but tbh i do offer him about 5-8 crickets every other day. purhaps i am over feeding (or trying to as the case may be).

his warm end temps are between 29-32c and cool end around room temp so about 22-24c

he has fresh water and his substrate is eco earth.

i honestly thought he was doing well up until about a week ago when these problems seemed to start.

any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: cricket bite + quite lethargic

Quote Originally Posted by tryme View Post
    Hi guys,

getting a bit concerned about my pacman frog. he has got a little nip off a cricket which must of been hiding in his enclosure and nawed him a little over night. the wound doesnt look too bad but does look a little sore. is there anything i can do for that?

more importantly he is seeming a bit lethargic lately. he seems off his food but tbh i do offer him about 5-8 crickets every other day. purhaps i am over feeding (or trying to as the case may be).

his warm end temps are between 29-32c and cool end around room temp so about 22-24c

he has fresh water and his substrate is eco earth.

i honestly thought he was doing well up until about a week ago when these problems seemed to start.

any ideas?
    Keep him around 78°F at night and make sure the ambient air temp is the same. During the day keep him around 83°F. This isn't warm side cool side. This means ambient air temp of the entire enclosure so that there isn't an area with a huge temp drop. The warm side will be warmer of course. Keep humidity at 80°

As for the wound I would find some Bactine or antibacterial ointment that does not contain any kind of painkiller and use it to disinfect the bite. I would also seek a her vet just incase.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 13th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default cricket bite + quite lethargic

I agree. You can use original neosporin. Apply it daily with a new Qtip each time.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

tryme

Is thAthow temps should always be or just while he is Ill?

Also his left eye seems a bit squinty, like the see through casing/protector is half overthe eye?

Nationality
    [United States]

Is thAthow temps should always be or just while he is Ill?

Also his left eye seems a bit squinty, like the see through casing/protector is half overthe eye?
    If you can, post a picture of the bite as well as what he's doing with his eye. If there is a very bright light nearby, he could be squinting because of that. Make sure there isn't any debris or anything around the eye that could be making him uncomfortable.

Herpguy

Are you sure it's a cricket bite? I have seen mice unsuccessfully try to gnaw through horned frogs while being eaten, their skin is pretty resilient, just think what they go through in the wild. Anyways, like said before, use neosporin copiously on the wound, it works wonders.

tryme

Yes I've never offered a live mouse.

I will try to get a pic up. If he has debris in the eye how can I was it free?

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I've never offered a live mouse.

I will try to get a pic up. If he has debris in the eye how can I was it free?
    Does he always have the eye squinted or is it only while he sleeps?

tryme

No it seems to be like 75-80% of the time at the moment.

tryme

So the ambient temp needs to be between 28-30c ?

I've noticed lots of tiny white bugs in the enclosure but think they might be part of the clean up crew. Could they be causing him a problem?

His cricket wound seems ok now, how can I clean debris from his eye? It's got Eco earth around it

Nationality
    [United States]

So the ambient temp needs to be between 28-30c ?

I've noticed lots of tiny white bugs in the enclosure but think they might be part of the clean up crew. Could they be causing him a problem?

His cricket wound seems ok now, how can I clean debris from his eye? It's got Eco earth around it
    During the day yes.

Mites are not good to have in the enclosure. Youll have to clean the enclosure and replace the substrate with new.

For the eye just bathe him in luke warm de-chlorinated water and gently whipe the debris away with your finger or a cotton swap either moistened with de-chlorinated water.

tryme

Nationality
    [United States]

That looks bad. Keep applying Neosporine to the wound and seek a vet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Give your tank a thorough cleaning (I am paranoid about using too much bleach, so I clean with vinegar and just wash and rinse until there is no noticeable smell... then rinse once more). But instead of cocofiber, use paper towels moistened with treated tap water. That looks pretty bad, and you don't want debris in it. If you see debris in the wound, clean it out with a wet cotton swap.
    Before you put her back into the tank, gently pour warm treated water over her several times to get any mites off that might be on her.

tryme

we dont have neosporin available in the U.K (if we do i cannot find it). do you guys know of anything similar i could use? we have savlon?

tryme

*Edit*

Brulidine is the UKs equivilent i will see if i can get some. failing that i think i can get some neosporin off ebay

Nationality
    [United States]

*Edit*

Brulidine is the UKs equivilent i will see if i can get some. failing that i think i can get some neosporin off ebay
    The important thing is to make sure there are no painkillers or fungicides added to whatever you buy. A lot of Neosporin-like products add these in, but they are harmful to frogs.

tryme

ok thats fine. i have cleaned him and his enclosure. he is on paper towel for the time being.

the wound looks like it is healing over now. he still seems a bit lethergic. im buying him another heat mat today to distribute the heat over the whole enclosure rather than warm end cool end.

the one i have at the moment isnt sufficient to heat the whole tank (to reach the required ambient air temp).

thank you for all the input guys, i will keep you update.

tryme

the cricket bite is looking a lot better now but he seems quite lethergic still. his eyes are closed 75-80% of the time and he is not moving much.

i havent offered him any food yet as didnt want to stress him further.

should i try to offer food? he seems to be drinking etc as he goes in his bowl and ive seen him "gulping" down water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

you should offer him food if he is tong trained, otherwise monitor is he eating and take food out if not eaten. I would soak him in unflavored pedialyte/water mix at this point too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information