Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frog is ignoring food

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Frog is ignoring food

For the past two days my AGBF has been ignoring all sorts of food offered which is completely unlike him, from crickets to dubias to superworms, he refuses to eat, seems a little uncomfortable, almost as if he isnt seeing the food at all. he is active moves around/swims, but the complete lack of interest in food is something i havent seen up until now, should i be concerned/what should i do. Also seems to be burrowing/stirring up dirt way more than usual.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Frog is ignoring food

Quote Originally Posted by daltar08 View Post
    For the past two days my AGBF has been ignoring all sorts of food offered which is completely unlike him, from crickets to dubias to superworms, he refuses to eat, seems a little uncomfortable, almost as if he isnt seeing the food at all. he is active moves around/swims, but the complete lack of interest in food is something i havent seen up until now, should i be concerned/what should i do. Also seems to be burrowing/stirring up dirt way more than usual.
    How old is your frog? Are you using a multivitamin or calcium supplement?

What are the temps and humidity levels?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

frog is about 4-5 months old 4.7" from snout to vent, calcium and multivitamin once a week, temps @ 85-87 f, humitidy around 70-80%, eats most everyday slowly started losing interest in tong feeding, active otherwise.

Nationality
    [United States]

All looks right for your setup/supplementation. Any skin issues? No temp drops? You said he seems like he isnt seeing food. What lights are you using with him? How does he seem uncomfortable? Is your water good? Is it a dish or a water feature with a filtration system?

Nationality
    [United States]

Has he been staying burrowed for long periods of time?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

As far as lighting, i am using full spectrum UV tubes, and one red light for night time, for heating i am using adhesive heat mats and ceramic heating elements, as far as burrowing goes i remove him from his burrow after 24 hours for feeding

Nationality
    [United States]

As far as lighting, i am using full spectrum UV tubes, and one red light for night time, for heating i am using adhesive heat mats and ceramic heating elements, as far as burrowing goes i remove him from his burrow after 24 hours for feeding
    So he is completely burrowing and not coming out on his own? If so he may be trying to Aestivate. I would lower his temps a little and raise the humidity higher. Probably 85% to 90% for a short time. Only a couple days.

Handling can cause them unnecessary stress and can put them off food. I would just uncover his head so he can see and try and offer food that way. If he isn't Losing weight then there may be no need for concern yet. Lower his temp to low 80°s for a couple days as well as raising the humidity and see if he reacts accordingly.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 11th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    So he is completely burrowing and not coming out on his own? If so he may be trying to Aestivate. I would lower his temps a little and raise the humidity higher. Probably 85% to 90% for a short time. Only a couple days.

Handling can cause them necessary stress and can put them off food. I would just uncover his head so he can see and try and offer food that way. If he isn't Lodi g weight then there may be no need for concern yet. Lower his temp to low 80°s for a couple days as well as raising the humidity and see if he reacts accordingly.
    Is it ok to aestivate a non- adult frog?

Nationality
    [Canada]

From what I have heard, it is dangerous to let a juvenile aestivate because they could die.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

i rearranged his cage, is it possible i spooked him this way? also is it possible i overfed him and he just needs a few days to chill out from food?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

occasionally i also feed him superworms forgot to add that

Nationality
    [United States]

He's not going to aestivate/brumate unless it's too dry or your temps are dropping. I personally think the only thing that is out of the ordinary that could stress him to the point of going off food is digging him up. Just let him stay down, and as someone said earlier just uncover his eyes at the most to see if he is caccooned (they shed several layers of skin that forms a caccoon to conserve water when brumating).

If you fed him a lot, some of them like to burrow to digest. I'd just leave him, let him stay down for a couple days, check to see if he's caccooned (brumating) and if not, leave him be. When I check on one of my females who always likes to burrow, I just uncover her eyes, mist her a little to get the cocoa fiber off and she will open her eyes.

If he is brumating, let him. I am not sure if what was said about it being bad for juvi frogs is true, but I know in the wild they eat like hogs after emergence to beat the dry season. They brumate thier first year in the wild (when the dry season starts, and will usually be a few months old by this point). Not as 1-2 inch frogletts; they have grown signifigantly by then. But they will go down or die in the wild. Sometimes the rainy season is only a couple months long and they have to go down. If your frog is in good weight, and chooses to brumate then I say let him. Again, they will not typically do this unless temps are too low, or their substrate is dry.

When you changed the cage around did you change out the cocoa fiber (If you aren't using cocoa fiber (eco earth etc), then you need to be. moss and pretty much all other substrates other than foam rubber as detailed in Philipe Vasijoli' GABF book, are bad for Pyxies)? If so, it may be too dry. I soak it until its completely inundated with water, then ring it out until water doesn't POUR out of it. You want it wet, but not soupy.

For now, just let him be for 3 or 4 days. If he burrows, just let him be. Check him on day three as prescribed above, and then leave him be.

Hope this helps. Wish you luck
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh ya, I was asking about lighting earlier. Someone may be able to back me up here or correct me if I'm wrong. The red lights for your frogs are no good. They can damage thier eyes. I know this to be true for most lizards. I'll see if I can find the link and post it up if that's allowed here. It's from another forum.

That is why I asked about the lights. I would not use a red light and as for the other lights, you gotta be careful about damaging your frogs eyes.

DW

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Oh ya, I was asking about lighting earlier. Someone may be able to back me up here or correct me if I'm wrong. The red lights for your frogs are no good. They can damage thier eyes. I know this to be true for most lizards. I'll see if I can find the link and post it up if that's allowed here. It's from another forum.

That is why I asked about the lights. I would not use a red light and as for the other lights, you gotta be careful about damaging your frogs eyes.

DW
    you are mixing red and UVB lights, infrared and ceramic ones are the best for heating, they don't disturb natural day/night cycle and are safe to use for frogs and reptiles, but UVB might damage sensitive eyes, you gotta be careful with those.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Is it ok to aestivate a non- adult frog?
    no, it is not ok, it is dangerous even for adult frog.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Jaxon Hardy

i have had the same problems with my two big bells, i got them from a private owner yesterday arvo and they still wont eat their crickets , could it be stress from moving ? also my female is screaming randomly, not croaking, a loud scream does anyone know what to do ? cheers

Nationality
    [United States]

Screaming? What is happening when she screams? Sounds like shes in distress. Are you cohabitating them? If so, were they cohabitated with the prior owner? When they go off food, more often than not its due to stress. Yours just had a stress filled day. Watch their weight, dont mess with them, and just let them settle in. Offer food in a couple days. Make sure your temps and humidity are good. 80-87 F, 70-80% on Humid. Make sure they can hide (Deep substrate/Foliage/some type of hide). Theyll feel more secure. BTW, we are talking about GABF right?

DW

Jaxon Hardy

im talking about green and golden bell frogs, they have fke plants, slate and a plastic platform at top of tank they sit in. its around 26 degrees celsius and i dont have a hygrometer but what i have done is made like an upside down table out of foil and put underneath light shiny side to light with a bit of extra water on alfoil to steam up and make it more humid, the sides are covered in condensation so it sgould be fine. it sounds like a really highpitched two stroke motorbike revving its that loud.

Nationality
    [United States]

No idea about those frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

could the full spectrum uv lights possibly hurt my frogs vision?he is able to navigate through his enclosure no problem, he seems somewhat lethargic this morning and did not move from his area he was last night which would be perched on the rocks next to his pond.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information