Thread: pacman food?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default pacman food?

I've always fed my PACs worms. Just wanting opinions on the food. How well do they switch from live foods to this? And where can you buy this food? I wasn't sure if they sold it in the us or not

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

infamouschris7

Default Re: pacman food?

Pacmanfood.com if u use tongs then they will go for it. My frogs love it and the growth rates are crazy

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Its what I feed all my frogs. I use 3 bags a week. If you only have a few frogs it should last around 2 months or more.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice, thats what I was hoping . Ill have to give it a go!

perfectlypierced

I've recently used this for my frog. It took a few tries for Slimer to get use to the tong feeding. This makes feeding pacs so easy!

trd1215

Default pacman food?

Yes the pacman food is awesome! I use the spoon it came with to feed one of my frogs. Ive had it for couple of months. I mix and match feed him live food aswell.

Nationality
    [United States]

So would one ball be enough for a feeding(appropriate sized ball of course)? and how often? I may get this and feed most of the time with occasional worms added in I just ordered a 4oz bag!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by 4mb3rNich0l3 View Post
    So would one ball be enough for a feeding(appropriate sized ball of course)? and how often? I may get this and feed most of the time with occasional worms added in I just ordered a 4oz bag!
    depends on a frog, you can start with smaller sized ball and may end up with bigger, for instance my ornate ( 4.5" and the only one tong trained) last time ate 3 adult mouse size balls and then some worms for a desert , but you'll see, what size of food your pac likes. When mine was a baby at first I was mixing 2 spoons provided with water - that was the size for her then , she ate 2-3 balls like that, and eventually the balls were getting bigger and bigger
    love using that food!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah okay thanks Cant wait to get it and give it a go!

EnjoiJakey

Sorry, but where can I get this stuff?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoiJakey View Post
    Sorry, but where can I get this stuff?
    Pacmanfood.com

13. This member thanks 4mb3rNich0l3 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi folks. Nothing but respect for the community here first off. Glad Mike turned me onto the site. I really enjoy all of your comments and sense of community when someones got a little or big problem.

I just wanted to comment on this food and get your opinions/knowledge/experience with this stuff. On another forum a person I really respect posted the following about this pa man food. The individual goes by the SN Ren and really knows his/her stuff.

Ren posted:

I personally do not see the merit in a fish-and-potato based food for an animal that eats largely invertebrates and amphibians in the wild; this is my first thought.

Breaking things down a little more: The Ca/P ratio is favorable enough, and it's a high-protein, low fat food . - which is probably why frogs can survive and grow on it. My concern lays less in "can it make a little frog get big fast?" and more "what are the long-term health implications of this diet?" I have never tried it, and I don't have any peer reviewed research on it sitting in front of me. So anything I say is going to be conjecture.

First: it is very high in ash. Ash is any inorganic material in a food - vitamins, minerals, etc. - and while it has long been debunked that the "ash" content of pet foods in and of itself is harmful, I am a little concerned that the %ash in this food is so high - especially since so few of the vitamin and mineral contents are explicitly listed. Looking at other reputable captive amphibian diets on the market, 17% just seems ridiculously high - even among other fish-based diets. Since we are given no insight into anything much outside of calcium and phosphorus, that begs the question: what is this so high in? Salt? Manganese? Fat-soluble vitamins? Can we be assured that none of the content making up this ridiculous ton of ash are ones that stress the kidneys?

We also have "fish meal" as a non-specific/unnamed animal protein. A fish is not a fish is not a fish; we already know from learning about thiaminase that some fish species have nutritional aspects directly harmful to frogs, but assuming this is accounted for by supplementation and/or outweighed by the benefit of omega 3/6 fatty acids in the diet: what kind of fish make up this mix? Bottom-feeding and predatory fish, for example, tend to accumulate heavy metals and pollutants to which frogs are very sensitive. Farm-reared fish are laden with antibiotics. Named animal protein meals are generally considered a higher quality; I would much favor "salmon meal" or "whitefish meal" so that I could at least look into the likelihood of these proteins needlessly exposing my frogs to heavy metals.

I feel like I should have something intelligent to say about the starch/seed meals in the food, but my thought comes down to: these are fillers, and why on earth would a frog need pumpkin seeds in its diet? I don't know that there's been any studies on the effects of these items to frogs, and I'm not saying that they'd be outright unsafe - more just a waste of your money paying for filler. But at end of the day: why? I don't feed my rabbits steak, I don't feed my parrots fish, and I don't feed my frogs veggies and seed. *shrugs*

Ultimately: exotic pets need specialized diets, and if it is too difficult for a person to provide life, whole foods that mimic a frog's natural diet to at least some extent? A frog isn't the right choice of pet for them. I cringe at the thought of "convenience foods" for exotics because frankly, processed pet foods for domestics don't even have a phenomenal track record wrt dietary illness and the like. Exotics nutrition research is still in its infancy, and we're putting the cart before the horse churning out diets like this before we even have a full grasp of their needs, imo.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Oops....I double posted by accident. Just deleted the double
    Thanks
    DW

coastal20

I have had no problems with the powder, and think it works great. I would think that we would see some side effects now if this stuff was bad for frogs, since there are many breeders using it. I would like to know where this stuff is mixed up though, because if it is in a feed mill I will be worried about what is actually in it vs. On the label.
    Not to get off topic but my pops actually mentioned that dogs and cats should be living 5-10 years longer, but the food is sub par and a lot of feed from feed mills is contaminated with unwanted medication and ingredients.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't feel like going into discussion here, we covered it here
    http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...add-water.html
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

So another thread about the pacman food? I thought this thread was about the food. I'll check it out.
    Thanks
    DW

Thread Information