Thread: Grey Tree frog found inside house

morgan2341

Default Grey Tree frog found inside house

Hi everybody! Im new to the world of frogs and came into by accident. I happened to find a grey tree frog inside my house, I live in MN and we are coming into winter right now. Temps are around 40-50 degrees during the day and 30 at night. I found him and he seems very skinny, I put him in a 10 gallon with coconut fiber, looks like dirt and some moss, and some fake plants to hide in. I have tried crickets and worms but he hasnt touched anything. He jumped around for the first few days now he hunkers down into the substrate, so Im guessing he is attempting to hibernate. Here are my questions:

1. Should I allow him to hibernate, even though he seemed a little skinny?

2. If he hibernates do you still change the substrate and wake him up every time you do it?

3. Is there a way to reverse his hibernation?

4. I plan on setting him free next spring, but if I let him go now does he have enough time to get into the ground, and how about his weight, there are no more bugs here anymore.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the help you can provide!

Linsey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree frog found inside house

Quote Originally Posted by morgan2341 View Post
    Hi everybody! Im new to the world of frogs and came into by accident. I happened to find a grey tree frog inside my house, I live in MN and we are coming into winter right now. Temps are around 40-50 degrees during the day and 30 at night. I found him and he seems very skinny, I put him in a 10 gallon with coconut fiber, looks like dirt and some moss, and some fake plants to hide in. I have tried crickets and worms but he hasnt touched anything. He jumped around for the first few days now he hunkers down into the substrate, so Im guessing he is attempting to hibernate. Here are my questions:

1. Should I allow him to hibernate, even though he seemed a little skinny?

2. If he hibernates do you still change the substrate and wake him up every time you do it?

3. Is there a way to reverse his hibernation?

4. I plan on setting him free next spring, but if I let him go now does he have enough time to get into the ground, and how about his weight, there are no more bugs here anymore.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the help you can provide!

Linsey
    Welcome to Frog Forum

I do not own Tree Frogs, but I do know some about them. He needs a tall tank with plenty of height like a 12"x12"x18" Exo-Terra or Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium. He will nit eat while stressed.

Don't let him try and brumate in your home or he'll die. Also if he is skinny he will not survive the slumber.

Read this care sheet and follow its instructions on how to house and care for the frog.Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

Pluke

Grey Tree Frogs don't go in the ground, they actually just go in leaf litter, trees, but all above ground. They have a "anti-freeze" like substance in their bodies that keeps them from freezing and they just basically wait until the temps warm up again. It's probably best to let him go, but completely up to you.

I'm telling you now though, you keep him, you're gonna want to keep him forever come next spring.

morgan2341

Well we have already named him, Phil!! How do I keep him from going to slumber? All he wants to do is go to ground! I wanted to fatten him up!!

LizardMama

Hi I own 2 of these (but have had up to 4 at a time). Let the frog be, he'll snap out of it. How warm is the tank? Is the substrate damp and does he have a water source? My 2 Grays hunker down in the soil at times too but mostly it's because 1. no food and 2. looking for water and the substrate is damp. These frogs need it to be 80-85 degrees

morgan2341

His cage is kept at room temp, should I use a tank heater on the side of his tank or a heat lamp hung overhead? Hi tank humidity is between 75-80% I mist his tank twice a day, and I have been offering him mealworms and crickets often.

LizardMama

Don't offer meal worms, just give him crickets. Use a heat lamp with a white light (I use the regular ones that you get from a store, nothing special). I've tried having my Grays at room temperature and they were into slumber mode and barely ate

If you haven't already read it, please read Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

It has info on hibernation, see the bit on 'Cycling' under the 'Breeding' section. Especially the bit about not feeding before putting them into cold storage if you opt for that route.

In the winter I use a 40 or 60watt incandescent bulb on the top of the tank as my place gets pretty cold in the winter. It gives off enough heat to keep my frogs up and active. As long as it stays over 18C or so (About 65F), I find mine stay active. Probably some added heat and moisture will convince yours that winter is over and spring has arrived if you want to try to keep it active over the winter. Also make sure it has lots of hiding places up high so it doesn't feel as exposed when it comes out of the ground.

Mealworms are fine as an occasional food, but gut loaded and dusted crickets are a fine staple. Earthworms work great as well. Or roaches if you're allowed to keep them.

If you have a warm day coming up, it would probably be fine to set it free now near a suitable refuge. They winter under leaf litter, or under logs, tree roots, things like that. Often near the surface but under a bit of cover.

Thread Information