Thread: 3 years with frogs and ready for a dart tank :D

nzemke

Default 3 years with frogs and ready for a dart tank :D

Hi all, I have been in the world of frogs for about 4 years now. I started out with a 20 long for about a year and a half before they moved into a 75 gallon tank. Since then I have done a lot of reading and a lot of learning. In the tank we have 7 fire bellied toads and three green tree frogs. The bottom portion has approximately 30 gallons of water. There are three islands where I have a sand and ash substrate at the bottom and then some good old fashioned soil on top with a rocky top and a bit of spag moss on top. I have four main different plants in the tank. Their run of the mill home depot plants. I have bubbles in the water to keep it from stagnating as well as a small water filter to help a little with water quality. I have a two bulb T5 light on top that does the job very well of giving all the light these things need. Cross contamination isn't an issue with such a large tank considering how much water is in the bottom and dilutes anything that could be harmful. Our well water has a high calcium level so we picked up a really nice filtration system so I fill the tank water from there. The three islands don't have perfect seals so the soil is always damp and the plants love it! The plants have all quadrupled in size since putting them in. The moss in the bottom of the tank I put in after it started to take over my planted bio cube fish tank and it's done rather well in giving a mat that sits less than an inch from the top of the water and the FBs sit in it constantly! if anyone’s interested I can post some of the photos from I put it together.

And now on to the new adventure Now that I feel I have mastered the simple frogs it's time for something a little more difficult like dart frogs. I have taken my 20L and tipped it on end and set in pots and some drift wood. It's sitting on the kitchen table and setting at this very moment. I have a bunch of Lexan glass left over from a solar panel project so I'll make the doors myself and see how well that goes.

So that leaves me where I am right now knowing that I can build the tank, but I need advice from those in the world of dart frogs to find the right setting of plants, frogs, and setup. I bow to your knowledge and humbly ask your advice on what I should use for plants, a good climber dart frog, and any other advice you are willing to part with. Thank you in advance!

Current setup

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 3 years with frogs and ready for a dart tank :D

Welcome to Frog Forum

Thread Information