Thread: Extremely odd Toad behavior

Maharg

Default Extremely odd Toad behavior

Im not worried, I just thought itd be interesting to share this vid. Ive never seen her do this before. Does anybody know anything about this, or if its normal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Extremely odd Toad behavior

I assume you are referring to the toad in the water dish. For the most part toads are not good swimmers, but do enjoy a shallow bath now and then. My toads don't spend a lot of time in the water bowl and only use it as a public toilet That means cleaning it every time. I did notice in the video that the toad reacted when drops of water hit the bowl, sign of a healthy toad.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    I assume you are referring to the toad in the water dish. For the most part toads are not good swimmers, but do enjoy a shallow bath now and then. My toads don't spend a lot of time in the water bowl and only use it as a public toilet That means cleaning it every time. I did notice in the video that the toad reacted when drops of water hit the bowl, sign of a healthy toad.
    Holding her head underwater for several minutes was what I was getting at actually. It was happening for a long time before I started filming, and I've never seen my toad do this before.

Maharg

Its almost like the conditions are to dry and she is trying to get maximum surface area of her skin underwater. She has also been in the water for about 22 of the last 24 hours, which is also very rare for her. Ive been misting the tank twice as much now, but she still stays in.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Holding her head underwater for several minutes was what I was getting at actually. It was happening for a long time before I started filming, and I've never seen my toad do this before.
    OK, I get it now. Do you have enough substrate for the toad to bury itself? My toads like to bury their body and stick their head out to watch for food. Your terrarium conditions may be too dry depending on what species you have. Some like it dry and others prefer higher humidity. My dwarf African bullfrog will hold its head underwater for hours, then hop out and bury itself for a few days. Amphibians from temperate regions do well with a humidity gradient (places with high and low humidity).

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    OK, I get it now. Do you have enough substrate for the toad to bury itself? My toads like to bury their body and stick their head out to watch for food. Your terrarium conditions may be too dry depending on what species you have. Some like it dry and others prefer higher humidity. My dwarf African bullfrog will hold its head underwater for hours, then hop out and bury itself for a few days. Amphibians from temperate regions do well with a humidity gradient (places with high and low humidity).
    Thanks for the input. She has plenty of soil. 2 bricks of eco earth. She has always burrowed herself comfortably in the earth during the nights until last night when she held her head under and stayed in the water all night. She is normal again today, in fact she is burrowed for the night right now.
    Ive read many conflicting sources on humidity levels for Rococo Toads, likely because they inhabit such a diverse area of the planet. Ive read as low as 50%, and as high as 80%. Ive always kept it around the middle at 60 to 70%, and she has always seemed happy with this. Thats why I found her behavior so odd.

Wormwood

Yeah, my toads do this when they are trying to get their backs under the water and the water level is to low. I always try to keep a dish in their tank that is deep enough so they can fully submerge (notice it also makes them feel more secure in the water dish). It's also good so when they shed they can get their backs wet and help the skin sluff off.

Which could be another issue, you might want to surround your tank on at least three sides with paper or some tank art. When a toad dips down like that (at least it's the case with my cane toads they are scared). It's hard to tell if yours is just fat, or is puffed up.

In regards to it being to dry, I wouldn't worry to much about that. The water dish is always there if they want to get wet. If you notice the toad spending all day in the water dish then it's probally best to wet the substrate. I've always belived anything near 80% humidity is way to humid for toads who can live without it. I keep mine in normal house temps (60-75) with around 45% humidity and every species I've ever had has done wonderfully.

Nationality
    [United States]

IMO you need a deeper water dish so she can get her back wet, yet keep her nose above water. I have Fowlers, American & Southern and they all soak in the dish with just their heads above water. Also when they bury themselves they should have at least 1 inch / 2.54 cent or more of soil covering them. A buried toad is a happy toad.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Maharg

Thanks for all the info. Ive found care sheets for Rococo Toads pretty shoddy so its good to to know people on this forum know what they are talking about. My Toad is a little on the rotund side, but she is a little puffed up. Ill make the necessary adjustments. As for a bigger water dish, ive never seen a larger exo terra, and I really like the way they look. I have them in all my amphibs tanks, but I suppose the size of this big girl warrants getting a tupperware at this point.

Nationality
    [United States]

You do not have to compromise on style, maybe just brand. I have a water dish for my garter snakes that's 10 inch/25.4cm long x 8inch/20.3cm wide and 2inch/5.1 to 2.5 inch/6.4 cm
    deep. And I know I've seen bigger and deeper at some of the reptile show.

Have you checked out this site on Rococo toads? http://www.toadilytoads.com/ask_rococos.html
    Last edited by kueluck; November 2nd, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

Pluke

Yeah Graham I was going to suggest going with a tupperware bowl or a ziploc container as a bowl. Probably a lot cheaper anyway. You can always use some aquarium safe silicone for glue and decorate it with rocks to make it look better.

Wormwood

Most pet stores have a pretty nice deep corner dish, about four inches deep once filled. Heavy plastic and comes in browns, greens, blues. I use them for my cane toads and they are light enough to empty and clean daily. The largest one holds two full grown cane toads just fine.

Zoo Med Repti Rock Corner Bowl Reptile Food Bowls

Maharg

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. And yes Gail, of all the sites I checked, that one was the most informative. Some things I dont agree on though, like only offering a single Pinkie as a treat per month. If I didnt offer rodents, id be going through about 36 thousands crickets a year, or 6 thousand or more worms just on my Rococo. I need to offer rodents at least every second week minimally. This Rococo is huge and so is the water dish. It doesnt look it in the video because the Toad is so large, but that dish has got to be around 12 inches long and 3.5 to 4 inches deep. And they are expensive. Ill look around for sales, but I may end up having to go the tupperware route.

Nationality
    [United States]

and this is why I have Fowlers, American & Southern toads.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    and this is why I have Fowlers, American & Southern toads.
    Lol I wouldnt trade my Rococo for the world, but I definitely had NO idea what I was getting into when I bought her. I think they may be even more voracious eaters than Canes. She already goes through double what I feed all my other pets combined (2 Pacmans and a dwarf pixie, Gargoyle gecko, 8 inch Tarantula) and could probably eat quadruple what I feed her and still act famished.

Thread Information