Thread: Orion Parasite Update & Some Questions

TeeRiddle

Default Orion Parasite Update & Some Questions

Back in early September I found out that my Fantasy, Orion, had a couple different parasites (with help from Grif). I took him to the vet for two treatments of Panacur two weeks apart then another fecal exam two weeks after the last treatment.

I sent in a stool sample last Friday and just found out that the results are negative!!

Very relieved to find out Orion is now parasite-free. I was surprised by the results to be honest because I've read hook worms and strongyloids are difficult to treat. I'm very glad he now has a clean bill of health!

Now to my questions:

I think he has been trying to aestivate the past couple of days. He went over to a corner in his enclosure and completely buried himself. I can hear a "squeek squeek" noise every now and then and notice that it's him trying to bury deeper but he's just rubbing glass. He also hasn't eaten since he started this.

Yesterday, I noticed he's come back up a little, but occasionally shuts his eyes for 5-10 minutes then they suddenly pop open. It's like he's trying to take a nap or something.

Should I dig him up when this happens or leave him be? I don't want to stress him, but want him to eat.

As additional info - he started acting this way after soaking him for two consecutive days. He hadn't pooped in 22 days so I started giving him honey soaks.

1- That's a long time not to poo.
    2- I needed a stool sample for the fecal exam.

He pooped on the 2nd day, but after I put him back in his home he started burying himself.

He has always been very shy and skittish so I was wondering if this burying could be a reaction to more stress that usual?

Thanks for any advice!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Orion Parasite Update & Some Questions

I assume temp and humidity is still high? Has he eaten any large meals lately? My Fantasy will completely 100% burrow herself after a large meal (a mouse/3 Hornworms) for a few days and only pop up for the next feeding. Then when she gets it, its back under til the next.
    Im also wondering if the test was a false negative. Just because the worms didnt show up in the sample, id be hesitant to call Orion 100% parasite free just yet. Im just firing shots in the dark at this point tho. For better answers, copy and paste Griffs trouble in the enclosure sticky with the questions answered.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would have a another sample tested just incase. As Graham has said, sometimes the sample can show no signs of the parasites and the animal still be infected. Tapeworm are one the worst for false negatives.

I will say that at this time of year they can sense the drop in barometric pressure and the change in seasons. You have to work harder to be certain the climate is ideal and photo period matches that of spring and summer. Otherwise they will try to aestivate. It is probably due to stress that he is acting the way he is. Keep him warm and moist, and keep offering food. If he begins to lose weight then you will need to force feed him.

Keep us posted.

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    I assume temp and humidity is still high? Has he eaten any large meals lately? My Fantasy will completely 100% burrow herself after a large meal (a mouse/3 Hornworms) for a few days and only pop up for the next feeding. Then when she gets it, its back under til the next.
    Im also wondering if the test was a false negative. Just because the worms didnt show up in the sample, id be hesitant to call Orion 100% parasite free just yet. Im just firing shots in the dark at this point tho. For better answers, copy and paste Griffs trouble in the enclosure sticky with the questions answered.

Hi Maharg!

Yes, temps and humidity are the same as they always have been - 80 - 83 degrees F daytime, 78 - 79 degrees F at night, humidity 75% - 85% always. The only thing that's really changed is the light cycle. The day light cuts off around 6:30 PM now instead of around 7:30 - 7:45 PM.

Perhaps the shorter days has something to do with it?

As far as the parasites, yes, it could be a false positive. There is still a chance the sample was clear,but he's still infected. Before his stool was very runny, but his last two poops were normal in consistency, so that's a little reassuring.

Thanks for your reply!

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I would have a another sample tested just incase. As Graham has said, sometimes the sample can show no signs of the parasites and the animal still be infected. Tapeworm are one the worst for false negatives.

I will say that at this time of year they can sense the drop in barometric pressure and the change in seasons. You have to work harder to be certain the climate is ideal and photo period matches that of spring and summer. Otherwise they will try to aestivate. It is probably due to stress that he is acting the way he is. Keep him warm and moist, and keep offering food. If he begins to lose weight then you will need to force feed him.

Keep us posted.

Hi Grif, thanks for the reply!

A re-test might be a good idea. I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask him about it. Maybe re-check in a couple weeks.

I have been cutting off his day light earlier than I was before. It was set to turn off around 7:30 - 7:45, and now it cuts off around 6:30. Should I set it back to 7:30 - 7:45?

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    Hi Grif, thanks for the reply!

A re-test might be a good idea. I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask him about it. Maybe re-check in a couple weeks.

I have been cutting off his day light earlier than I was before. It was set to turn off around 7:30 - 7:45, and now it cuts off around 6:30. Should I set it back to 7:30 - 7:45?

Thanks!
    I would return the photo period back to the way it was. This could be the issue.

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I would return the photo period back to the way it was. This could be the issue.

Will do. So I should keep the light cycle at 12/12 all year round.

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    Will do. So I should keep the light cycle at 12/12 all year round.

Thanks!
    Yes, the only reason to alter the photo period is for aestivation. It still may take a day or two for him to readjust.

Keep me posted.

Thread Information