Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding problems

arielgasca420

Default Re: Feeding problems

I am surprised that the nightcrawlers do not move after you cut them. when I cut them in half they go berzerk. you have to make sure you cut them in half though and get the head where all the nerves are. and cut them one by one because they can exhaust themselves and play dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    Ohgod ohgodohgod.... I did it... placed an order for....ROACHES. (using that faunaclassifieds ad)

They'll be shipping Monday.
    I'm probably just going to cry instead of sleep the first night or two they're in my home. BE STRONG
    These roaches are not as scary as you think, but since you have a phobia I think it may take some time for you to get used to them. maybe pick up a baby and work your way up to the adults. I love my roaches and I consider them as pets. if you put them in a plastic container with necessary items then you wont have to buy them all the time. my colony has exploded these past few months. the trick is to have them in complete darkness.

ejh805

SO I tried the pinkie and my frog LOVED it.
    I got a video as well.

Ignore everything after about 30 seconds. I tried to turn the camera around to look at the frog from the front and shot too high, not getting him/her in the frame at all.

Pluke

Haha, nice video! Glad you found something she likes. Are you thinking that it's a male or female? I'm guessing female since you keep calling it she, heh.

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Haha, nice video! Glad you found something she likes. Are you thinking that it's a male or female? I'm guessing female since you keep calling it she, heh.
    Haha thanks
    I know! It's been frustrating. I think s/he's been so difficult to feed because s/he's so freakin' shy. If s/he can tell my hands in the cage, s/he heads straight for the water.

Anyways, I'm honestly not sure. I think it's still too small to tell. I've just been calling it a she because I WANT a he, but with my luck it is a girl lol. I just added updated growth pics if you feel like looking and telling me what your opinion is on the matter.

Pluke

Honestly, I don't know much about these frogs only what I've read.. going off what I've read, I'm kind of leaning towards female. The head looks kind of small in the video and I don't see any yellow in the armpits.. I think I remember reading big head and yellowing/oranging indicates male, but I really don't have any experience on the subject. I hope you have a male though, there calls would be awesome to have around the house.

Maharg

That Pixie is easily big enough for a fuzzy mouse even. There will be no problem with feeding it occasional pinkies, fuzzies or feeder comets/large minnows.

9. This member thanks Maharg for this post:

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    That Pixie is easily big enough for a fuzzy mouse even. There will be no problem with feeding it occasional pinkies, fuzzies or feeder comets/large minnows.

I guess I'll have to try a fuzzy next
    I'm a little iffy about fish though. I've heard a lot about them carrying parasites.

Maharg

Ive fed a lot of fish and never had a problem. I dont know why CB feeder fish would have parasites but ive heard that as well.

Jcalcagno

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    Here are those enclosure pictures you asked for.

Attachment 41385Attachment 41386Attachment 41387
    What a wonderful home you have provided for your frog!

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Jcalcagno View Post
    What a wonderful home you have provided for your frog!
    Why thank you ^_^

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Mine eats canned grasshoppers, mice, vitamin dusted catfish nuggets, pacman food, nightcrawlers, and fat head minnows like a maniac. I dont even bother with crickets at all.

ejh805

I got those roaches in from the ABDragons that Pluke linked to.
    I'm not scared of them at all!!
    They DO look just like roly polys

I don't think this is gonna be nearly as scary as I was anticipating

Pluke

Well, did he like the roaches?

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Well, did he like the roaches?
    Mhmm snatches them right up
    BUT s/he's started eating nightcrawlers again, about 6-7 in the past two days straight from the tongs! So I'm going to try and let the colony establish some if s/he'll keep taking worms

Pluke

If the roaches aren't very big it's going to take a while. I have some that I've had for three months and I have had a male and a couple female adults but they haven't been doing anything. -_-

ejh805

Well that's unfortunate. I have the temps they're in in the very high 80s so maybe it'll speed up growth some :/

Pluke

Yeah, they take a long time to grow. It takes 5 months for them to reach maturity under the right settings. I've had a heat lamp on mine the whole time and they still haven't bred.. I have a couple fat females but yah.. no luck, unless of course their babies are invisible.

Hoppity100

I have the same thing with 1 frog out of 4 and he is skinny! I have tried crickets and several worms and he has eaten but when its feeding time he often just sits and stares at it. I tried dangled a worm in front of it and he ignores it. He probably had a cricket when I wasn't looking but the rest eat often. I hope he is okay and eats more. I wonder if its safe to offer a thin piece of plain cooked spagetti?

ejh805

Hoppity,

I don't see why that wouldn't be safe. But spaghetti won't have any nutritional value at all for the frog. And if it isn't moving, what makes you think that he would be more interested in it than a real moving worm? I'm just curious.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information