ejh805

Default Re: Feeding problems

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    Em that set up is friggin sick dude.

Haha well thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nice setup!! but yea you should try dubia roaches...they are great feeders!! my female will only eat like one nightcrawler a week...but will take a roach anytime of the day!! she is picky...my male will only eat 2-3 nightcrawlers and will eat 5-8 roaches till he is full...still a juvy only so he doesnt eat too crazy yet lol but urs is still pretty small...when mine was still like 2inchs it took worms all the time and grew up to about 4inch and got tired of them...good luck though!!!

ejh805

Ohgod ohgodohgod.... I did it... placed an order for....ROACHES. (using that faunaclassifieds ad)

They'll be shipping Monday.
    I'm probably just going to cry instead of sleep the first night or two they're in my home. BE STRONG

Pluke

Haha, great. I'm sure your frog will like them.. if not, you'll just have a bunch of roaches to care for.

Wicked frogs

Curious how much did you pay?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The roaches aren't THAT bad! I've had them for a few years now, I think they're great! You just have to mentally prepare yourself, they're a bit bigger than you initially think, but you get over it

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Haha, great. I'm sure your frog will like them.. if not, you'll just have a bunch of roaches to care for.
    If my picky frog won't eat them, then I'll probably give them to a friend of mine who has geckos.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    Curious how much did you pay?
    100 for $20, including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The roaches aren't THAT bad! I've had them for a few years now, I think they're great! You just have to mentally prepare yourself, they're a bit bigger than you initially think, but you get over it
    I sure hope I can get over it!!
    Last edited by ejh805; October 31st, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: atrocious spelling

ikissedafrog

I have to pipe in with my favorite go-to guy for roaches... Greg's Exotic Inverts Home - Greg's Exotic Inverts

I've used him for years, and absolutely love him and the way he does business. He can even sell you a package with everything you need to set up a roach bin if that's what you decide to do!

Also, I agree with Pluke, small dubia DO really look a lot like roly-poly bugs, lol. I don't use dubia because I don't like their burrowing habits, but if you move your frog into a separate container to feed it shouldn't be a problem at all. I move mine into a kritter keeper for every feeding, he doesn't seem to mind a bit, in fact I'd go as far as to say that he associates that bin with feeding already!

Wicked frogs

What really freaks you out is when your in some ones house and you see some bad *** roaches (not feeders) just some big ole 3-4 inch nasty roaches crawling around in cabinets don't get me started on city/marsh rats those things are something to be scared of they are ruthless... People say roaches aint that bad but those are pure breed, roaches ahhhh straight up N a s t y but Aa i buy them off a guy the next city ova for my boo BIG LuiEe and he loves them and he be growing so quick since i started feeding them, why i asked is cause i pay $3 bucks for 16ish medium's )))

ejh805

Ugh this frog is difficult!!
    She seems to be getting bored with superworms as well!!

Would it be safe for me to just STOP feeding her until the roaches come in next week to really spark her appetite, or would it be dangerous since she's still young?

Maharg

How many days will that be? Anything over 3 and id start to feel uncomfortable. These frogs grow at a fast rate and need the food to sustain it. My Dwarf Pixie is still eating daily, or at worst every second day. Its a long thread and I havnt looked back yet, but have you tried a pinkie mouse yet? That will do the trick.

Maharg

Also, your frog is still fairly small and its not going to take many superworms to impact him or her. Id cut that out right away. Ive completely taken them out of my amphibs food rotation. My toad gobbles full mice and even crayfish without issue, but the only time ive seen her come close to impaction was after superworms.

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Also, your frog is still fairly small and its not going to take many superworms to impact him or her. Id cut that out right away. Ive completely taken them out of my amphibs food rotation. My toad gobbles full mice and even crayfish without issue, but the only time ive seen her come close to impaction was after superworms.
    Still too small to feed pinkies. And superworms are the ONLY thing I can get her to eat. I'm feeding sparingly, but I don't want her to starve.
    The roaches wont be in until probably Wednesday net week so that'd probably be too long :/
    I cant get her to eat crickets or worms and superworms cause impaction. What do you suggest?

Maharg

And youve searched EVERYWHERE for silkworms? Or maybe even a very small Hornworm? And are you sure its to small for a very small pinkie? My Pacman was able to take Pinkies a week after I got her, and she was only the size of a quarter when I first bought her. If your frog is about 50% bigger then the pinkie, then it would be no problem to try.

Pluke

How many days have you gone without feeding it? I'm sure if you wait a little while it'll find anything you offer appetizing. I'd keep offering other stuff I'm sure it'll take something eventually.

ejh805

And youve searched EVERYWHERE for silkworms? Or maybe even a very small Hornworm? And are you sure its to small for a very small pinkie? My Pacman was able to take Pinkies a week after I got her, and she was only the size of a quarter when I first bought her. If your frog is about 50% bigger then the pinkie, then it would be no problem to try.
    Yes, nowhere around where I live sells those. The only things I can find locally are nightcrawlers, crickets, meal worms, supers, butterworms and waxworms.
    I guess I can try a pinkie. What do I do with it if the frog wont take it though?

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    How many days have you gone without feeding it? I'm sure if you wait a little while it'll find anything you offer appetizing. I'd keep offering other stuff I'm sure it'll take something eventually.
    I haven't gone any days without feeding her yet. She's taking food, but she doesn't seem very interested in it. Kind of hard to explain.

Pluke

Here's a good example of that Juvenile African Bullfrog (Pyxicephalus adspersus) eats baby mouse - YouTube

ejh805

What a fierce little guy!
    I haven't seen mine attack anything with that much gusto before.

Maharg

Id go with the pinkie well before id try one more of those superworms. Pinkies bones are still soft and relatively easy to digest. Especially in comparison to even a couple superworms. That chitin shell can be dynamite on your frog if multiples are fed on consecutive days.

Edit: Superworms are also pretty nutritionally useless

Pluke

Pinkies are pretty much bags of meat juice. If fed nothing but pinkies, your frogs poop will barely be solid. They even have devices where you put a WHOLE pinky in a syringe and inject them into the animals mouth. Obviously not living pinkies as that would be extremely cruel, even with a f/t pinky it sounds quite disturbing, heh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information