Thread: My new little one!

ikissedafrog

Default My new little one!

Hi everyone, new to the forums here as well as a proud new Mama to a tiny little pixie frog! He (she?) has been named Klaatu (think The Day The Earth Stood Still ) at least until we can determine whether or not it is a male or female! Had him all of 4 days so far and we're all absolutely in love with him already! He's my first 'real' frog, up until now I've only 'borrowed' back yard toads and leopard frogs for a few days at a time, they're great for helping keeping unused feeder roach populations in check, lol!

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  127.2 KB

That's him in his enclosure. He's living it up in a whopping 2.5 gal planted terrarium atm, which is just the perfect size for him right now. I imagine he'll grow into larger quarters soon enough! He really seems to enjoy those ferns, often throughout the day I'll find him sitting underneath them. Thankfully, so far he has not seemed to have the urge to dig them up! I'm trying out the floating water lettuce in his 'pond', whether or not that works in the end remains to be seen! It's cute when he floats in the midst of his water plants though!

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  112.1 KB

My only question so far with this little fella is on feeding. Everything I've read says to feed these babies daily. He's been getting B. lateralis roaches (best feeder roach ever in my opinion!) and seems to really enjoy them. I try to avoid giving him any over 1/2", and he's been getting appx. 4 each feeding. He goes after them with much enthusiasm and takes no time at all to finish them off! Lots of fun to watch, actually. It just seems to me that this is a LOT of food for such a small frog, am I over-feeding? I was going to fast him yesterday, but I gave in and fed him 3 small roaches because I watched him chasing bubbles around his 'pond' as if he were trying to feed!

This week we'll be getting in some other varieties of feeder insects for him to try, as well as some yummy, squirmy worms! I'm thinking the occasional guppy from one of my tanks would make a tasty treat, and curious if a young ghost shrimp (one of my turtles favorite snacks) would be acceptable as well...they're kind of 'jumpy', wondering if he would be able to control a smaller one? I want him to get as much variety as I can offer him...use my spoiled rotten turtle as an example here, lol...so that he may enjoy a long and healthy life!

Oh, brings up one other question! He'll be getting the roaches as his main feeders, with the other insects as variety, as well as being under full-spectrum lighting due to his plants. What are thoughts on supplementation with this set-up? I've read that over-doing it is bad, I've also read that with variety and lighting it is unnecessary...with the vast misinformation available on the internet, I'm not sure what exactly or how often to supplement!

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.3 KB

I like to think he appears pretty content so far!

Thanks so much for any insight and advice you all can offer! I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: My new little one!

I don't know to much about Pyxies, just wanted to say Welcome and that he looks great, his home does as well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He looks awesome these guys should be fed until full daily don't worry they will stop and I expect that little tank to last ummm 3-4 weeks tips haha! They grow beastly and fast they truly are my favorite frog I calcium dust 3 times a week as for lighting simple 12 on 12 off for the plants works for me they are a diurnal frog so it won't be to big a deal my primary feeder is earthworms the best in my opinion (I also prefer Dubia :P)
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

ikissedafrog

Thanks Pluke! Glad to have found this forum!

Tyler, 3-4 weeks! Really? I knew they grew fast, but wow. That's ok though, he has a 10 gal waiting on him, and setting up and landscaping a new enclosure is most of the fun for me! I heard earthworms were great for them, definitely plan on offering him lots of those...hopefully my shipment will be in tomorrow or the next day so we can start experimenting with new foods! (the joys of living in the middle of nowhere, haha, no local herp shops!) With worms, is it necessary to pull them out of their dirt and let them expel their wastes before feeding? I've never done that when feeding them to my softie, but I've heard of folks doing that with other species, though at the moment I cannot remember exactly where I picked up that little bit of info!
    So, are vitamin supplements necessary at all?

And, dubia? I can't understand their appeal! They're lazy, digging, uncooperative pains-in-the-rear, lol! Tried them once, if they didn't immediately dig out of sight, they sat perfectly still beneath my tarantulas and refused to move! I had to attempt to dig one out of the substrate with a pencil tip once while the tarantula was BITING the pencil!! Pfft, I like my (hyper) active, non-digging, non-climbing, non-chirping, non-stinking, lovable lateralis!

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha I have big herps I need the BIG roaches as for the earths I never really do that lol I cut them into size appropriate pieces and offered them to him just make sure you only cut each worm once on a not is growth

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351544775.671213.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  90.0 KB

He's almost 2lbs now already
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

ikissedafrog

Got his earthworms and a few other squirmy things in early this morning! While I'm not exactly looking forward to chopping up worms, lol, it'll be neat to see what he thinks of a few new menu items!

And that photo! My goodness, that's some serious growing! If mine's going to grow at that rate, maybe I should skip the 10 AND the 20 and just toss him in the spare 55 gal...I said I enjoyed landscaping terrariums, I never said I wanted it to be a full time job, LOL! What size enclosure do you keep your big fella in? I do have empty 10's, a 20 and a 55 in the garage...but I was thinking a 30 gallon breeder tank would be a great home, is that enough space for an adult if mine turns out to be a male?

Nationality
    [United States]

I prefer 40gallon breeders Rex is in a 20 ATM though
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

Thread Information