Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I fed the Crayfish (Video)

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: So I fed the Crayfish (Video)

lol not sure, i just love yours, but J&J doesn't have any and not planning, riverfront - none too, but i have a tiger salamander now :lol: and it was eating from hands right away and is soooo cute
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Heres some advice I got from Ra in my original post, which backs the resesrch I did as well.

"Crustaceans are not the same thing as anthropods and their shells generally do not contain the same chitins. Isopods for instance, are land dwelling crustaceans the exoskeleton of which consists mostly of calcium. I have seen video of a Horned Fropg eating a crayfish and I have heard of them being fed as part of a varied diet to Horned frogs, Budgetts Frogs and Pyxie Frogs alike without any mention of a problem."

And nowhere did you, or anybody else mention anything about desease.

So I did indeed follow advice. Or does your over 5 thousand posts give you the authority and make all other advice moot?
    I wasnt giving it as advice, I was stating prior to that that I had wondered how well the shell would be digested or not in a frogs stomach. Also that I had heard of them being fed with no ill effect yes, but i was certainly not saying "yes go ahead do it its perfectly safe" because i myself have no idea if that is true or not. Though I highly doubt the occasional crawfish is going to be a problem, as I stated, I do not know how well the shell will be digested and whether it will cause difficulty in passing.
    As far as diseases go, I have not read nor heard anything about crawfish having the same problems as feeder fish. Feeder fish come from crowded tanks and are often in poor health.

As far as not following Grif's advice, different people have different opinions (and different levels of experience caring for amphibians generally) and are going to read his advice and take it or leave it. I always find it funny when someone gets so highly offended that someone didnt take their advice from a forum.

How long ago did the toad eat the crustacean? did it pass? were there any shell pieces in the stool? If so, were they brittle, thin, partially digested? Hard, undigested? Details please!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Are you ignoring the advice that was given on the Crayfish?? DISEASE, HARD CHITIN SHELL, ETC??? Saying it wasn't safe for a Pacman also meant it isn't safe for ANY of your frogs/toads. They all are equally susceptible to diseases carried by the Crayfish.
    Which diseases do they carry that frogs are susceptible to?

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I wasnt giving it as advice, I was stating prior to that that I had wondered how well the shell would be digested or not in a frogs stomach. Also that I had heard of them being fed with no ill effect yes, but i was certainly not saying "yes go ahead do it its perfectly safe" because i myself have no idea if that is true or not. Though I highly doubt the occasional crawfish is going to be a problem, as I stated, I do not know how well the shell will be digested and whether it will cause difficulty in passing.
    As far as diseases go, I have not read nor heard anything about crawfish having the same problems as feeder fish. Feeder fish come from crowded tanks and are often in poor health.

As far as not following Grif's advice, different people have different opinions (and different levels of experience caring for amphibians generally) and are going to read his advice and take it or leave it. I always find it funny when someone gets so highly offended that someone didnt take their advice from a forum.

How long ago did the toad eat the crustacean? did it pass? were there any shell pieces in the stool? If so, were they brittle, thin, partially digested? Hard, undigested? Details please!
    She has passed a few stools since consuming the crawdad. I never checked the stool. Its always hard to tell cause she will go into her water bowl multiple times a day and just turn in BLACK. She eats a lot and poos a lot. I just dump it down the toilet without checking. She is in good spirits today as usual, and at 4 hornworms happily. Ill keep everyone updated, and if I was wrong and she becomes ill, I will swallow my pride, face the embarassment and tell everyone. But I doubt that will happen. I wouldnt have done it if it put her at risk.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    lol not sure, i just love yours, but J&J doesn't have any and not planning, riverfront - none too, but i have a tiger salamander now :lol: and it was eating from hands right away and is soooo cute
    Great! Thats incredible that its already comfortable enough to eat right out of your hand

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im generally curious about it myself. If a crawfish ended up one of my minnow traps, it would end up goin into one of my frogs mouths.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Im generally curious about it myself. If a crawfish ended up one of my minnow traps, it would end up goin into one of my frogs mouths.
    If I notice anything strange come up regarding impaction or looking sick, ill let everyone know. So far zero issue.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't think that a crayfish that size would be a problem for that toad even if it wasn't able to digest the exoskeleton. I say this because that toad's poops are probably bigger than that crayfish lol. It would probably be able to pass a rock as big as that crayfish...

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by motiszm View Post
    I wouldn't think that a crayfish that size would be a problem for that toad even if it wasn't able to digest the exoskeleton. I say this because that toad's poops are probably bigger than that crayfish lol. It would probably be able to pass a rock as big as that crayfish...
    The bowel movements are very large. And frequent. It has been a few days since the feeding. Still zero indication that anything is wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information