Thread: Amphibian Declines: Pollution Shown to Worsen Effects of Normal Parasites & Diseases

findiviglio

Default Amphibian Declines: Pollution Shown to Worsen Effects of Normal Parasites & Diseases

Hi All,
    In 1990, the IUCN’s Declining Amphibian Populations Task Force, to which I belonged, was one of the few large scale efforts addressing what is now known as the “Disappearing Amphibian Crisis”. Today, with legions of biologists and hobbyists at work on the problem, we still do not fully understand why nearly 200 species have become extinct in the last 20 years – a rate 200x that of what might be “expected”. But we do have some insights, one of which was highlighted in a recent journal article (Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (Biology) . It appears that stress, much of which is in response to what we are doing to amphibian habitats, is worsening the effects of normal pathogens and diseases. Read article here: Amphibian Declines - Pollution Worsens Disease and Parasite Attacks | That Reptile Blog
    Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information