Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my frog today!!

ejh805

Default Re: Getting my frog today!!

I thought so too
    They didn't seem to be too educated as far as substrate (what the frog WAS in was just begging for an impaction), but the big guy they did have looked very healthy.

Speaking of petsmart, the one I live near pisses me off when I see the conditions the reptiles are kept in. They have a large adult jacksons chameleon in a tiny tiny bare glass show cage with a deep water bowl and a loose twig. Nothing for it to hide under or climb on, and as far as I've read, chams wont drink out of a water bowl. When I go in there to buy feeder mice for my snake, I always see him and hes pushed himself into the back corner of the enclosure and just looks stressed. I want to save him, but I can't afford to. The leopard and fat tail geckos are all skinny, and the ball python is so cramped s/he can barely move around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wicked frogs

Yea most of the Petsmarts and Petco's i go to around here they do ok but nothing like a little private owned business, since there are like 100 pet stores within a 20 mile range around here it's a hit and miss but i know and have seen what you are talking about and it pisses me off too!

I know it sucks to see them like that. But you need to remember a pet store, regardless of size, are mostly do as i say not as i do places. A few stores do show their animals in the proper environment, but most do not. Remember, sometimes the best environment is the worst for sales. I was at my lfs today, and they are gearing up for their annual sale. They want to start pushing reptiles, so they brought 2 big herp racks in. They are going to keep certain animals, like the kenyan sand boa in it because the snake naturally burrows, so noone even knows it's in the tank. They need to disturb it every time someone wants to see it, putting the poor animal through unneeded stress. It's all about sales. If the custimer can't see it, they can't buy it. Luckily, more and more independent stores are putting some terriums to good use and setting up nice homes for them to live in until someone buys them. But the chains will always be an assembly line mentality.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

ejh805

I'm having trouble getting the new baby to eat
    I'll put a cricket in the enclosure with him/her and s/he tries to catch it but can't and eventually gives up.
    Maybe it's stressed or just ate a lot yesterday? :/

Wicked frogs

I know it sounds a little wacked out but it works rip the back legs off of the cricket so there no so fast, I am pretty sure that will help you and you little one

7. This member thanks Wicked frogs for this post:

ejh805

Tim, that's exactly what I had to do.
    And it's not too whacked. They seem to drop their legs like some lizards drop their tails.
    Better than having to stun mice...

Wicked frogs

lol how do you stun mice cause i have neva herd of that before?

ejh805

The least horrific way is putting it in a paper bag and hitting it against something pretty hard...
    Other ways I've seen/heard of people doing it is holding the mouse by the tail and hitting it against something, or putting a nail in its head.
    I'm so happy I was able to get my snake to take f/t.

PS I'm wanting a couple of Tomato frogs. Do you think that the temporary setup I've got for my baby pixie would be adequate for a couple?

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For a couple of adult Dyscophus you need at least a Terrarium 24” x 18” x 18” (WxDxH)
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

ejh805

Thanks Grabius,

I just measured the dimensions of the the pot, and the diameter is 24 inches, and the height is 17.
    These are the pots built for trees, so it runs straight up and down instead of tapering.

you mean to house them temporarily? of for a permanent home? and my preferred method of stunning mice? i just talk to them....seems to work on my wife. LOL
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

ejh805

Bill,

I'm talking about using as a permanent home. I think the dark sides would provide a feeling of security. And I'm sure you've read how I plan to keep them warm and provide a day/night cycle.

Gotcha. I saw the other post you have after i posted to this one......lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Wicked frogs

hahaha had to laugh at your post Bill, I think it's a great idea i have seen people make a terrarium out of an old T.V which was an awesome idea but yea as long as they're temps and humidity is up the sky is the limit.

reminds me of when my little guy and girl were first brought home nice looking frog!! they are great fun to have!!!

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
    reminds me of when my little guy and girl were first brought home nice looking frog!! they are great fun to have!!!
    Thank you

Btw everyone, is there a way to make my frog less scared of me? When I come in to feed her (gonna be calling it a her until proven otherwise), she jumps in the water and hides.
    Because of this I'm having trouble getting her to eat. I've been leaving live crickets in the enclosure with her, but none ever go missing unless I "help" her to eat it. Like, making sure she's somewhere she can see it, and putting it in a position to where it will scutter across her line of site. She's only eating one cricket at a time, and as far as I can tell, is pooing after each one. Could that just mean that the crickets I'm feeding are big enough to be an entire meal? When I bought them, I got a mixture of full grown adults and some as small as 1/2 inch, but more adults than smaller. She's still only slightly larger than an American quarter.

Name:  IMG_1529.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  35.4 KB

FriedrichsFrogs

I would say try feeding her small crikets over full sized adults just so its easiest to consume, but iv only had experience with fbts + american toads. Is the problem that she refuses to eat or she has trouble establishing sight of the food? In the latter case, you could try removing objects from her tank that would hide the crikets during feeding time. Or you could move her to a small tank during feeding time so its easy to corner her food but that could cause some unwanted stress on her since you have to pick her up. And speaking of getting used to you, shes most likely going to need a large amount of time to get familiar with you. Its instinctual to runaway from larger animals so you'll be reconditioning millions of years of evolution and genetics, just be patient because she'll eventually associate you with food as long as she continues to eat! good luck

i think she is just getting comfortable for now...she will start eating like a moster soon les hope she looks fat a healthy so its ok if she doesnt eat for couple days

ejh805

I think that the problem was that the crickets were way too fast for her.
    I had a couple nightcrawlers in front of her and crickets running loose in her terrarium. She was chasing after a cricket and instead hit one of the nightcrawlers. She ate one on purpose last night too.

Wicked frogs

vid no good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information