Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I give up!!!

Bor

Default I give up!!!

My Pacman Sir Hopsalot is extremely stubborn when it comes to eating.

I'm trying really hard to have him try out new foods.

He literally spit out wax worms. He wont even attempt to go after Nightscrawlers, all he eats is Crickets. I want to give him some type of variety but he doesn't want to try anything!!

Is there anything else I should try? Maybe feeding tips? I tried separating him in a different tank with no substrate just for feeding, but I feel like it just stressed him out, he hops away and shoots water.

Edit: I've also tried starving him a bit. (Just 2 days)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FriedrichsFrogs

Default Re: I give up!!!

strange, i kno pacs will gobble up mice, try that out

Bor

It's more of a treat though. That I'm only going to give him once maybe twice a month.
    I havent even tried giving him that yet though.

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    My Pacman Sir Hopsalot is extremely stubborn when it comes to eating.

I'm trying really hard to have him try out new foods.

He literally spit out wax worms. He wont even attempt to go after Nightscrawlers, all he eats is Crickets. I want to give him some type of variety but he doesn't want to try anything!!

Is there anything else I should try? Maybe feeding tips? I tried separating him in a different tank with no substrate just for feeding, but I feel like it just stressed him out, he hops away and shoots water.

Edit: I've also tried starving him a bit. (Just 2 days)
    Patience is virtue. 2 days without food for a frog is not really starvation.
    First you have to make sure the moisture and temperature in the tank is appropriate. Don't forget to provide some cover so the frog feels secure. Keep the terrarium in a quiet and less disturbed area. If all is well, the frog will acclimatize (getting comfortable with its environment) and appetite follows.

Remember to feed your horned frog at night. These are nocturnal animals, so they'll likely refuse to eat during the day time.

If you were to feed outside of his terrarium, that is totally fine. Carefully handle him to a clean & empty tank, then drop a nightcrawler in front of him to see if he would go for it. Some frogs are shier than others so you might want to stay out of the frog's line of sight when offering food. Often times a shy frog will only eat when it can't see you.

FriedrichsFrogs

Ahh, true. U said he hasnt goten a mouse yet? Id try it out just to see his reaction

Bor

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Patience is virtue. 2 days without food for a frog is not really starvation.
    First you have to make sure the moisture and temperature in the tank is appropriate. Don't forget to provide some cover so the frog feels secure. Keep the terrarium in a quiet and less disturbed area. If all is well, the frog will acclimatize (getting comfortable with its environment) and appetite follows.

Remember to feed your horned frog at night. These are nocturnal animals, so they'll likely refuse to eat during the day time.

If you were to feed outside of his terrarium, that is totally fine. Carefully handle him to a clean & empty tank, then drop a nightcrawler in front of him to see if he would go for it. Some frogs are shier than others so you might want to stay out of the frog's line of sight when offering food. Often times a shy frog will only eat when it can't see you.
    I'm sure he's pretty comfortable. I've had him for 6months now. He just refuses to eat anything besides crickets.

Pluke

I had a stubborn frog for a while. he wouldn't eat anything but crickets, then one day he tried a nightcrawler chunk.. now he refuses anything that's not nightcrawler, heh. You're just going to have to be patient, keep offering when you feed. Maybe you could wait an extra day or two of not feeding then offer one. The same green that won't take anything but nightcrawlers pretty much refuses to eat from the tongs anymore, too. It's weird, as a baby he always did.. now he just looks at me weird. If I set the nightcrawler in front of him, he'll eat it. I don't remove him from the tank and he's on eco earth, I pack the eco earth down a bit where I'm going to set the worm so that it doesn't get as much dirt on it as it would if it was loose.

If I remove my frogs from their homes to feed them.. they pretty much refuse to eat and do nothing but try to escape. So that doesn't work for all of us. Good luck getting him to take a worm.. they're a lot better than crickets once he starts eating them, that's for sure.

arielgasca420

try roaches. one frog only eats night crawlers and the other only eats crickets and roaches. it is hard to keep everyone happy

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

mine cranwelli is very stubborn too, he'd eat mice, but he is getting only once in a month or 2, nigthcrawlers and crickets are his staple and you need to dance around big time before he eats it. now I have a system in place, when he eats his first nightcrawler and almost done I'm taking another one from both ends and when he opens month to take another bite of a worm I'm putting middle of a new one in his mouth pulling ends back. hope my explanation makes sense but this way at least i don;t need to dance around with each worm separately :lol: oh those frogs
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Like has already been suggested, try roaches. Mine would only eat crickets when I first got her and nothing else, but the roaches were similar enough that she'd take them. Even after that I had to trick her into trying nightcrawlers when I wanted to switch her over.

Jaba96

I'am in the same boat as you my brother my pacman Jaba will NOT anything but dusted Crickets but tonight I try to convert him to Red Wigglers

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jaba96 View Post
    I'am in the same boat as you my brother my pacman Jaba will NOT anything but dusted Crickets but tonight I try to convert him to Red Wigglers
    Good luck with that. I've never had anything that will touch wigglers. I think the smell of that goo they secrete just puts most things off.

Nationality
    [Canada]

My new pacman is a stubborn feeder too, all he wants is crickets. That is what he is used to and recognizes as food. Tonight after starving him for two days, I tried nightcrawlers again. No go. So I broke down and put some crickets in there. Then I got a idea. When he would strike at a cricket, I held the nightcrawler in tongs in front. Yes! He ate it. After a few times of that, he realized that those slimy things were food too and would take them on his own! Ate about 1/2 a crawler tonight. (oh I also feed in a separate container. That way he doesn't accidentaly eat some cocofiber)

Hoppity100

Mine must be different because they eat in their aquarium, I would not remove them to eat in a different container, in the wild they would not go somewhere else to eat unless there is a threat or some other reason. If you keep trying I hope they would eat where they are. I won't give mine roaches, gee the shell would be hard to digest since it takes driving a truck over them (roaches) to kill them, I even wonder how mine digest crickets! I even think worms are the easiest for frogs to eat. I'd like to offer mine guppies but am leary of getting a sick fish, frogs would probably love it though.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    Mine must be different because they eat in their aquarium, I would not remove them to eat in a different container, in the wild they would not go somewhere else to eat unless there is a threat or some other reason. If you keep trying I hope they would eat where they are. I won't give mine roaches, gee the shell would be hard to digest since it takes driving a truck over them (roaches) to kill them, I even wonder how mine digest crickets! I even think worms are the easiest for frogs to eat. I'd like to offer mine guppies but am leary of getting a sick fish, frogs would probably love it though.
    im sure most living things you drive a truck over would die. yes, they can survive one week without their heads and some levels of radioactivity, but they cannot withstand the weight of a truck. in other words, they are no Tardigrade!
    but i digress, some are easier to digest than crickets. I suggest B. dubia because they have less chitin than crickets, they are less aggressive, and a better meat:shell ratio.
    I love my colony of roaches and they save me a lot of money.

Hoppity100

The roaches you have are different from cockroaches? What color and size are they? The roaches I saw here once were the toughest thing I ever had to kill, the shell was as hard as a walnut almost. I even wonder still how frogs can digest a cricket, but somehow they do. But if you have different roaches, soft shell, saving you money, all the power to you. I would like to have my own earthworms going but was told to not use them from my yard. I have not looked for a store that sells them, but I have dirt and a large container when I am ready to breed some. Glad you explained your roaches, our stores don't sell any, but they have crickets and worms.

Nationality
    [United States]

The roaches you have are different from cockroaches? What color and size are they? The roaches I saw here once were the toughest thing I ever had to kill, the shell was as hard as a walnut almost. I even wonder still how frogs can digest a cricket, but somehow they do. But if you have different roaches, soft shell, saving you money, all the power to you. I would like to have my own earthworms going but was told to not use them from my yard. I have not looked for a store that sells them, but I have dirt and a large container when I am ready to breed some. Glad you explained your roaches, our stores don't sell any, but they have crickets and worms.
    You're thinking about German cockroaches. The kind you'd feed to frogs are dubia roaches. They're a tropical species, and you usually have to order them off the internet. I used to have a colony, but IMO with just one animal that eats them, they were more trouble than they were worth.

WalMart sells nightcrawlers for about two dollars a container. Just make sure you get the kind that haven't been dyed fluorescent green. It's not just the worms from the yard you shouldn't use though, but the dirt too. You have no way of knowing what sorts of pesticides and toxins wash in with rainwater, even if you don't actually spray them on your yard. If the worms eat that and then your frog eats the worms, it can still cause problems.

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    mine cranwelli is very stubborn too, he'd eat mice, but he is getting only once in a month or 2, nigthcrawlers and crickets are his staple and you need to dance around big time before he eats it. now I have a system in place, when he eats his first nightcrawler and almost done I'm taking another one from both ends and when he opens month to take another bite of a worm I'm putting middle of a new one in his mouth pulling ends back. hope my explanation makes sense but this way at least i don;t need to dance around with each worm separately :lol: oh those frogs
    Yep, I did the same with my former cranwelli
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Hoppity100

I wondered about these roaches, and thanks for letting me know Walmart sells earthworms, I'll get some this weekend. The crickets here are 10/$1 and I think that is way too much. My frogs love chasing them though. So, I'm going to check out other stores for crickets. Am real glad if I can get earthworms at Walmart, the frogs will no doubt like them, too.

lumpbump

Only part of dubia roaches that dont get digested are the wing buds and wings of the adult males. My dubia colony has taken off recently. Ive had 5 nymphs molt into adult males this past week. My frog pounded a couple of them and ill have to examine his poop in a couple days to see exactly how much wings remain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information