Thread: sexing pacman

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default sexing pacman

quick question - in order to determine sex should you go with size or age or both?

i got my ornate at the end of august at 1'size ( 1 month?) yesterday it was over 3'5, no nuptial pads, no croaking. is it actually a female or too young to tell and those pads will develop (or not) when they reach sexual maturity at 8-9 month?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kira Hudson

Default Re: sexing pacman

dose it chirp im not sure but i think males call only

Nationality
    [Canada]

anyone?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pluke

My males started calling after about 2 months. I got them at quarter size. My albino male has a distinct nuptial pad and I've had him since august at quarter size. These are just cranwelli though, I'm not sure about the Ornata.

Nationality
    [United States]

Age and Size are both indicators. These frogs mature at very different rates. Both my Ornates are male. One started calling at about 5.5 months. The other matured very quickly and was calling at less than two months old. We thought it was female because it was growing so fast, but next thing I knew he was calling away. I think the more males you have calling, the younger the new males are when they start calling. Anyway, if yours is already 3.5 inches then chances are it is female. You can always try playing some videos of other Pacs calling and see if you get a response.

Nationality
    [Canada]

thanks guys, at this point my 3 month old ornate is sitting at 4' already, male cranwelli ( a bit over 3')who is in a tank close by, looks like a baby in comparison, haven't heard any calling, and no pads, looks like i have a girl and given the rate she is growing it is going to be a big one will try to play some calling videos anyway tonight, when I tried before for some reason my waxys were responding to them better then my cranwelli :lol:

Pluke

Haha, that's funny.. I think frogs all somehow know a call when they hear it, regardless of the species. I have a ton of gray tree frogs around my house and when they call my pacmans respond to them, especially if it's raining.

Kira Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Haha, that's funny.. I think frogs all somehow know a call when they hear it, regardless of the species. I have a ton of gray tree frogs around my house and when they call my pacmans respond to them, especially if it's raining.
    funny stuff my greens freek out when there are frogs on the tv big momma at least apears like she is rushing over to figure out who is in her house

im kinda Envious of you guys and gals that have frogs in the wild around you there is not so much here

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    thanks guys, at this point my 3 month old ornate is sitting at 4' already, male cranwelli ( a bit over 3')who is in a tank close by, looks like a baby in comparison, haven't heard any calling, and no pads, looks like i have a girl and given the rate she is growing it is going to be a big one will try to play some calling videos anyway tonight, when I tried before for some reason my waxys were responding to them better then my cranwelli :lol:
    Wow!!! Lija you have a 4 foot Ornate!!! That's crazy!!! Lol!! J/k when saying inches you use (") not (') (4' = 4 Feet) and (4" = 4 Inches)

I mess up all the time on my phone. My auto correct is sooooo bad!!

EDIT; The easiest way to tell a male especially if it hasn't called yet and is large enough is to look for Nuptial Pads. These are dark mole like spots on the outside of the thumb on each hand of the male frog. Males have them and they're used like a dew claw to hold onto the female during amplexus.

Kira Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Wow!!!

EDIT; The easiest way to tell a male especially if it hasn't called yet and is large enough is to look for Nuptial Pads. These are dark mole like spots on the outside of the thumb on each hand of the male frog. Males have them and they're used like a dew claw to hold onto the female during amplexus.

at what size do they get these grif?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Hudson View Post
    at what size do they get these grif?
    Many believe its at a certain size that they receive their pads, but its actually whenever the male frog reaches sexual maturity, but in truth its actually both. The faster the frog grows the faster its body matures and so they can have Nuptial Pads as early as. 2.5" which is not full grown, but nearing that stage. Most of the time sexual maturity takes place from 8 months to a year of age, but some to fully mature faster than others.

The best thing to do is keep a look out for these Pads, but in my experience most males begin to call before they receive their pads, but that doesn't go for all frogs or all species. This is why sexing frogs can be quite difficult and acquiring pairs even more so.

Nationality
    [Canada]

hahaha yes of course inches :lol:

and yes it doesn't go for all frogs, waxys for instance have pads only when in mood.

I think at 4" size it's safe to say it is a girl it is hard to wrap my head around the fact that she was 1" 2 month ago. I think if she grow any more I'll need to upgrade her to 18x18x18 mansion right now she is already taking majority of empty space in 12x12x18. my kids are calling her red pancake with 2 berries on top (eyes).

Nationality
    [United States]

hahaha yes of course inches :lol:

and yes it doesn't go for all frogs, waxys for instance have pads only when in mood.

I think at 4" size it's safe to say it is a girl it is hard to wrap my head around the fact that she was 1" 2 month ago. I think if she grow any more I'll need to upgrade her to 18x18x18 mansion right now she is already taking majority of empty space in 12x12x18. my kids are calling her red pancake with 2 berries on top (eyes).
    Female Ornata can easily hit 5.5" to 6" so keep the mansion on standby Lol! A 12"x12"x18" will be too small for her very soon. Go with the 18" cube or a 10 gallon long. I have a 18" cube made into a plant Vivarium, but I will probably be tearing it down to use as a frog enclosure soon. That size will provide ample space for an adult female Ornata.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Grif, vivarium, really??? without any frog in it???? you gotta fix it

Nationality
    [United States]

Grif, vivarium, really??? without any frog in it???? you gotta fix it
    Well, one of us has been telling the other (glares) that since the other bought a tank and then put PLANTS in it. Cough Cough. It is kind of sacrilege. Lol!

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That size will provide ample space for an adult female Ornata
    Allow me to finish that sentence for you:

That size will provide ample space for an adult female Ornata... to poop!

Nationality
    [Canada]

hahaha, yeah you're right Namio. I'm happy to upgrade, that would mean i'd have an empty tank for my cornuta when I get her :lol: do you know what size is good for those guys? i think adult cornutas are smaller then ornates and 12x12 should be ok, am i right?

Namio

hahaha, yeah you're right Namio. I'm happy to upgrade, that would mean i'd have an empty tank for my cornuta when I get her :lol: do you know what size is good for those guys? i think adult cornutas are smaller then ornates and 12x12 should be ok, am i right?
    12x12 would probably be enough for a male Cornuta but may be slightly crowded for an adult female. I'm including the space taken for almost no decoration plus a water bowl. But if you get a baby Cornuta, a 12x12x18 exoterra/zoomed will last you a long while.

Thread Information