Thread: Phrynomantis

bussardnr

Default Phrynomantis

I just received 6 black and red walking frogs. However I think they may be 2 separate species (bifasciatus and microps) Can someone tell me exactly the difference between them? Some of them have the 2 red stripes down the sides of their back while the others have a red back with a black line down the center. I will post some photos later tonight.
    Any other Info on them other would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Phrynomantis

I keep both species. Phrynomantis bifasciatus is East African (see MTG article, link on left hand of the page), while microps is West African. Both are toxic, so don't house them together. Coming from West Africa microps, should be kept a little bit more humid. I keep both species on a substrate of sphagnum moss with a false bottom under that. I feed both species fruit flies, bean weevils, and pin-head crickets. Its really cool to watch Microhylids feed, as they can shoot their tongues out in many more directions than most frogs.

bussardnr

here some pictures, how do they look?

I was also wondering how do you sex these guys?

Kurt

The bifasciatus and the microps in the second picture don't look good, they look too thin. In first picture one microps looks nice, the other questionable. I would take them to a vet and have them checked out and like I said earlier seperate the two species.
    BTW, where did you get them?

These are mine
    Attached Images Attached Images   

bussardnr

They are from Jason Hooton, geckophoria. He sold them as pairs of bifasciatus
    I have them separated. Theres not a vet that will do amphibians close to me. I'm going to have to find one or one that will ship me the meds.

Kurt

Try contacting the Maryland Herpetological Society to locate a vet. I beleive you can get a hold of them through this e-mail address - nhsm@marylandnature.org

Thread Information