Thread: FBT pic and feeding question

JUMPnJACK

Default FBT pic and feeding question

My toads were being all friendly and photogenic this morning. Here is Jump waiting for me to drop in some crickets

Name:  IMG_1021.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  47.9 KB

I feed them 3-4 crickets each (about 1/2 inch) gut loaded with carrots and dusted with calcium each time. They eat every other day and gobble the crickets up as soon as I put them in the tank. Is this good? They always seem so hungry, do I need to be feeding them more?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FriedrichsFrogs

Default Re: FBT pic and feeding question

haha nice photo, do u by chance know how old ur fbts are? i know as babies theyr supposed to eat ravenously like that but as they grow into adulthood they should be eating every few days. Ill feed my 2 fbts every 3 days (because of winter coming) about 8-10 1/2inch crikets per toad every feeding period. And they waste no time shoving 2-3 crikets into their mouths at one time (theyr such gluttons ). Fire bellies are generally very active toads its rare that i see mine in one spot at any given time so you will see that correlate to their appetite.

FrogFriend

FBTs are quite ravenous and will gobble up what you put in their tank. My FBTs will eat what they want and then stop. I know I have had crickets that stayed in the tank 2 days until they were eaten.

MantisMan

tadpoles are really ravenous but i find the younger toadlets dont have a huge appetite until they reach 4 months of age, then they will go after each other and pencils on the outside of the cage
    the adults eat a lot between the end of spawning season and prehibernation month

Marco Caccianiga

Mine eat every third day about 2-3 crickets; I used to feed them every second day but I found they were getting a little too fat. Crickets usually end in few minutes... Toadlets eat every day; I fed them this way for their first year of life. Tadpoles are really sort of eating machines. After metamorphosis they don't eat until the tail is completely gone. Then they try to catch fruit flies but it takes some weeks until they start eating a lot. Those metamorphosed in august now are eating like crazy.. I dust calcium once a week or two, while once a month I give nekton vitamines

MantisMan

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Caccianiga View Post
    Mine eat every third day about 2-3 crickets; I used to feed them every second day but I found they were getting a little too fat. Crickets usually end in few minutes... Toadlets eat every day; I fed them this way for their first year of life. Tadpoles are really sort of eating machines. After metamorphosis they don't eat until the tail is completely gone. Then they try to catch fruit flies but it takes some weeks until they start eating a lot. Those metamorphosed in august now are eating like crazy.. I dust calcium once a week or two, while once a month I give nekton vitamines
    problem i see with my newly metamorphosized babies is their tongues dont seem sticky enough to hold onto prey at first

Thread Information